Spyder Garage

Default Any tricks or mods to cool an RSS SE5 a little?

I have to spend a lot of time crawling in rush hour traffic in the evenings and I have noticed that my bike crawls up to 5 bars REALLY fast and almost never drops back down. I have heard the fan running when I come to stop or turn it off so I know it's running, I have checked the coolant and filled it to the MAX line when I first noticed this issue.
    I just get a little concerned at the amount of heat this thing puts off, I mean it freakin' COOKS my right calf if I am not going 20+, I have had to throw my leg up onto the front of the body on particularly bad days when it was 80+ and traffic was at a standstill.

Is this totally normal and just something I have to live with or are there aftermarket radiators/fans etc that I can ad to cool this thing down a bit?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Search around this forum for Spyderpops kits, fan kits, and just recently someone posted a way to fit 2013 ST heat shields onto their older RS.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

zrc

Heat of 4 to 5 bars is the basic average running temp of the rotax in any given heat. Make sure you coolant tank is leveled correctly and carry on, if it persistantly elevates more than 4 / 5 bars at a fast pace, be concerned.

I have run mine to the top of the bar level being dumb and not checking the coolant tank.

4 to 5 is my basic temp.

Also thanks to the tupperware, there is a large pocket of heat coming out on your feet. I would wear pants and boots that are appropriate to help solve the issue.

Its just freakin hot down there

Spyder Garage

Default splash pans

take your bottom splashpans off and hang them on your garage wall. this will let a lot of heat out underneath. it costs nothing, and it's Lamonster approved. 5 bars is normal operating temp.
    Last edited by coz; 05-16-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

You can try spyderpops stuff for your heat problem. He's a supporting vendor.

http://www.spyderpops.com

I've got all his 'hot foot' stuff on my 2008 GS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Search around this forum for Spyderpops kits, fan kits, and just recently someone posted a way to fit 2013 ST heat shields onto their older RS.
    That resent post was by one of my buds and it looks great he says it prevents a lot of heat from hitting your leg. Checkout the thread

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...light=Spyderrx
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I've got the Syoderpops foam rubber radiator add ons for my RSS (haven't put them on yet), and his hot air evac kit as well (also not on yet). I haven't had any over heating issues, or suffered from the dreaded "cooked foot" syndrome either (yet). I bought the kits as the yuppies say, "a proactive measure" before **** happens! Anything that can cause more air to go through the radiator/s and/or evacuate hot air from inside the fairing more quickly/efficiently is a good thing. *^)(%$#^&( I gotta put the Stebel on there too!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default Cooling

I took the two rear panels off underneath to get more air flow out behind the bike. The Spyderpops radiator foam and catalytic heat shield will do some. You will still get heat up and on the right side. Some people have wrapped their pipes but have heard good and bad about that. When I rode sport bikes there was lots of heat also. Just something you live with. 4-5 is where mine runs on freeway and city driving on a hot day.

Spyder Garage

Remove splash pans
    Spyderpops
    And most importantly, check your Y gaskets. On my RS they were almost none existent after only 5000 miles. Replace with Honda gaskets.

Very Happy '08 Spyder RS Owner

Spyder Garage

Add 3 1/2 oz. of Water Wetter. You want the Spyder to warm up engine in a short period time. The Water Wetter keep you in 4 bars on the high way and when push the engine will see to 5 bars then will go back to 4 bars when you stop pushing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    Add 3 1/2 oz. of Water Wetter. You want the Spyder to warm up engine in a short period time. The Water Wetter keep you in 4 bars on the high way and when push the engine will see to 5 bars then will go back to 4 bars when you stop pushing.
    Hadn't thought of that.........................good suggestion!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default Get the Spyderpops stuff!

I have the missing air dam, air management system and heat shield installed on my bike. I can tell you the air management system makes all the difference! A small amount of hot air does slip past the deflector, but it is not bothersome to me. During the cooler/cold months, I like having that small amount of warm air on my foot. I don't know how much the heat shield helps, but it was inexpensive enough, so I went ahead and bought it. I do feel the air dam helps air flow through the radiator instead of around it. I rarely see my temperature gauge go above 5 bars, even when sitting at a light.
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5