Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Muth Signal Mirror Installation

I just completed installation of the Muth signal mirrors on my 2012 RT. It was relatively straight forward and easy. The instructions are very clear and the online video shows exactly what to do. Start to finish the project took about 2 hours. Removing the mirrors from the Soyder was my biggest concern but with Lamonster's video help, that was a no-brainier too.

I had Muth mirrors on my Goldwing and feel like they should be standard equipment on every motorcycle. The improved visibility helps safety and hopefully I won't be driving with my signals on any more after the turn because of the woefully inadequate turn signal indicators installed on the Soyder.

I realize that there are several other less expensive alternatives that work well. I went with the more expensive Muth mirrors solely based on my past experience and my preference for their design.

Spyder Garage

Can you post some photos? Nothing pictured on the Muth website for Spyders.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry. I didn't take any pictures of the install.

Check out the following link for info and video. Scroll down for Spyder info.

www.customdynamics.com/Signal_mirror.htm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That looks just a wee bit scary...
    You are one very brave person!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That looks just a wee bit scary...
    You are one very brave person!
    i agree with you Bob.....

a band saw = missing fingers for me...... lol

but those mirrors look good and gratz on doing the install yourself

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I thought that too the first 3 times I thought about it. I just decided to give it a try and I was surprised at how easy it really was. Removing the old mirror glass was a 2 minute exercise and the rest was easy. I used posi-taps instead of the included hardware.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I didn't like the band saw idea either so I used a Dremel to cut the housing. Another 2 minute job. They included a template for the cut out.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm very confident that I'd screw this install up...it's good to know your limitations.

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

There are a few things to remember while using the heat gun to soften the adhesive to remove the old mirror. First is that it is possible to apply too much heat to the edge and actually melt the plastic rim of the backing. Be careful. Second is that the backing will likely be warped after heating and separating it from the original mirror. When I installed the new mirror to the first one, I had to clamp the two pieces together while the silicone sealer I used around the outer edge cured. When doing the second, I was able to apply a little heat to the backing and get it flat again before adding the glass, making it fit the new mirror perfectly.

Also, make sure you're happy with how tight you make the center screw. This adjusts the resistance to movement when you adjust your mirrors after final installation. If too loose, your mirror may vibrate excessively or even move. If too tight, you might find the mirror difficult to adjust. That center screw is only accessible when the mirror is separated from the backing, so once it's installed, you'll want to be happy with how tight it is.

Spyder Garage

Seems like a great idea to install these mirrors. After watching the install video, the only thing I would worry about is cracking the mirror ...not good. However, like most fixes on the RT, take your time and go slowly and I can see how it will work... Thanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This looks a bit simpler. Does anyone know where you can get these?