Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default It just does not matter

In the overall scheme of things it does not matter if the "jerk" returns your gesture of being a fellow rider or not. No one will give a hoot a 100 years from today that really cares.

If they want to respond with a wave or nod I accept that. If they want to give me a one finger salute I just regard that as the only year they graduated during "K thru 12" besides I always say "here's a hand full pick one."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Does this list work for everybody?

Top Ten reasons that Spyder Riders don't wave:

10. They're too busy watching the windshield move up and down on their RT to notice you.
    9. Trying to figure out what the the code is that the Spyder just threw at you !!!
    8. Can't wave because both hands are gripping the Spyder's bars too tight in a turn.
    7. They are smiling from ear to ear and they didn't see you through their partially closed eyes.
    6. They are busy trying to find a better song selection on their stereo, making sure their camera is recording, messing with LED light settings,
    and repositioning their mirrors.
    5. They just know that if they move their left hand; they'll never be able to find the:
    Turnsignals, paddle shifters, horn, reverse button, windshield-height adjustments, volume control, mode and set buttons again!
    4. Head in the clouds trying to figure the next farkle to buy.
    3. According to popular belief all Spyder riders are over 60 so arthritis won't allow us to pick up our arms.
    2.They're too busy cursing the nanny for cutting in at just the wrong time.
    1. Having too much fun with their Bajaron/Elka equipped suspension to take time to wave.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

The vast majority of riders that don't wave here are on HDs and don't have a helmet. If they are on an HD it's about 5% that wave, and maybe 25% that are on an HD and have a helmet on, if they are on something else its about 75% that do wave. The dumbest thing is that my job is at a large HD supplier and most of the time HD people ride in from their plants for a meeting without helmets. Why any sane company would allow that is beyond me. When a HD guy gives me a hard time I just tell him I ride in January and February and ask him when the last time he did that was....

Spyder Garage

Here's the final updated list; with an extra portion added for dual-purpose bikes just for fun!

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
    9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
    8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
    7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
    6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
    5. Angry because they just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
    4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
    3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
    2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
    1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
    9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
    8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
    7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
    6. The espresso machine just finished.
    5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
    4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
    3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
    2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
    1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:
    10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
    9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
    8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
    7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
    6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
    5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
    4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
    3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
    2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
    1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
    9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
    8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.
    7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
    6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
    5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
    4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
    3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
    2. You haven't been properly introduced.
    1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Top Ten Reasons Why Dual Sport Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Vibration of knobby tires prevented the rider from taking his hand off the bars.
    9. MX style safety gear was too bright to see you wave.
    8. His front fender prevents you seeing him wave back.
    7. Was too busy configuring his GPS/Enduro Roll/FishFinder.
    6. His rain/wind/thorn/bug/bird proof thousand-dollar jacket won't allow it.
    5. Was too busy re-arranging his 500 pounds of soft-sided luggage.
    4. Doesn't recognize a wave in any language other than German.
    3. Too busy splitting lanes/filtering through traffic.
    2. One handed wheelies are not easy.
    1. On single-track trails you stop, not wave.

10. They're too busy watching the windshield move up and down on their RT to notice you.
    9. Trying to figure out what the the code is that the Spyder just threw at you !!!
    8. Can't wave because both hands are gripping the Spyder's bars too tight in a turn.
    7. They are smiling from ear to ear and they didn't see you through their partially closed eyes.
    6. They are busy trying to find a better song selection on their stereo, making sure their camera is recording, messing with LED light settings,
    5. They just know that if they move their left hand; they'll never be able to find the:
    Turnsignals, paddle shifters, horn, reverse button, windshield-height adjustments, volume control, mode and set buttons again!
    4. Head in the clouds; trying to figure the next farkle to buy.
    3. According to popular belief; all Spyder riders are over 60, so arthritis won't allow us to pick up our arms.
    2.They're too busy cursing the Nanny for cutting in at just the wrong time.
    1. Having too much fun with their Bajaron/Elka equipped suspension to take time to wave.
    I would like to have an alternate for Spyders: They're too busy looking for an empty spot stick another graphic on to notice you!
    Last edited by StanProff; 05-13-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

The fun factor on Spyderlovers from 1 to 10 is at least a 10. Life is too short to not have a little fun along the way I like this place.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DodgingRain View Post
    The vast majority of riders that don't wave here are on HDs and don't have a helmet. If they are on an HD it's about 5% that wave, and maybe 25% that are on an HD and have a helmet on, if they are on something else its about 75% that do wave. The dumbest thing is that my job is at a large HD supplier and most of the time HD people ride in from their plants for a meeting without helmets. Why any sane company would allow that is beyond me. When a HD guy gives me a hard time I just tell him I ride in January and February and ask him when the last time he did that was....

next time let us know what ya REALLY think.

Spyder Garage

Does this list work for everybody?

4. Head in the clouds trying to figure the next farkle to buy.
    3. According to popular belief all Spyder riders are over 60 so arthritis won't allow us to pick up our arms.
    2.They're too busy cursing the nanny for cutting in at just the wrong time.

Sorry Bob, I was too busy reading my Master Card statement from last months SpyderFest purchases on my iPad mounted with a RAM mount on my left handle bar stock, while updating my iTunes.

Spyder Garage

I was going to the drug store and i waved at 2 harley riders and they didnt even look at me much less wave.I thought to myself if they only knew how much fun this thing is! On my way home a car in front of me started slowing down and turned on the left turn signal. At the same time a little arm came out of the rear drivers side window and started waving By the time this little boys mom pulled in the driveway half his body was out the window and both arms were waving and i thouhgt NOW THERE IS SOMEONE WHO KNOWS A GOOD TIME WHEN HE SEES IT! Made my day!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Love all the top 10s never smiled so much...unless on a spyder!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dig.It View Post
    I was going to the drug store and i waved at 2 harley riders and they didnt even look at me much less wave.I thought to myself if they only knew how much fun this thing is! On my way home a car in front of me started slowing down and turned on the left turn signal. At the same time a little arm came out of the rear drivers side window and started waving By the time this little boys mom pulled in the driveway half his body was out the window and both arms were waving and i thouhgt NOW THERE IS SOMEONE WHO KNOWS A GOOD TIME WHEN HE SEES IT! Made my day!
    I went for a ryde on Sunday and while at the gas station had a 17 year old boy come up and start asking questions about the Spyder. I let him sit on it so he could get a picture to take home to show his mom the next vehicle he wants. He knows she doesn't want him to have a 2 wheeler, so he is going to see if he can get a Spyder instead. He was extremely excited and smiling from ear to ear while sitting on the Spyder. I thought that was a pretty cool moment.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDen View Post
    Sorry Bob, I was too busy reading my Master Card statement from last months SpyderFest purchases on my iPad mounted with a RAM mount on my left handle bar stock, while updating my iTunes.
    There may need to be a revision; that's a great one!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default The best post

the best post I think is the muli-rider post by far. #2 is the one on the little boy hanging out the winder!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydermyke990 View Post
    I still get a good laugh when I have the mirror shield closed and I see people giving me the "what the is that??? " look.
    Being in Florida I use my dark gray heavy tint a lot and it does tend to provoke a lot of looks. Keep them guessing makes riding the Spyder more fun then people!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Can't cure stupid

My husband and I ride a lot (8K last summer) and encounter those ignorant bikers every now and then. Went to Sturgis last year and had several sneers by HD riders. We could care less. We are having a lot more fun as we don't have to worry about spilling over on our bikes. Then again, I put eye lashes on mine, so get a lot of thumbs up and comments (mostly from me); so it is all good.

Spyder Garage

Can't cure stupid

Don't be so hard on your self

Spyder Garage

Don't know...all I know is what I see. It was the same when I rode two wheels.

I know lots of people who don't wear helmets and many of them are my friends. I see lots of helmetless riders waveback or express interest in the Spyder. However, virtually everyone who has acted negatively to the Spyder has been a Harley rider without a helmet. Only a very small percentage of Harley riders without helmets...very, very small...but there it is. I have no idea why. Only they know.

My my wife & I went for a lunch ride today, I had 2 bikes not wave, 1 was a harley (he had on a helmet) the other a metric. The guy on the metric had on his head what looked like the new years eve ball from times square. I was shocked to not get a wave from those guys. Can you believe it?----Budro

Spyder Garage

Here, in southern Minnesota and northern Iowa, for the most part everybody waves. About the only time we encounter bikers that don't wave is on I90 when Sturgis is on. The oncoming riders have waved so much that they just can't do it anymore. Bikers here don't much care what you ride. Just that you are riding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes when the roads are pretty full of bikes; Americade back East for example... It's impossbile to wave to everybody!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    when everyone gets finished it will remain a fact that a hundred years from now no will even notice or care!

I plan on doing the friendly rider thing even if it don't make the other guys day.

..... Right on Bob! Just smile and wave.

Spyder Garage

Sometimes when the roads are pretty full of bikes; Americade back East for example... It's impossbile to wave to everybody!
    Bob,

How about this? A few weeks ago I (on my GS) was on a deserted road, no curves, middle of the day and sun shining. I was going in one direction and an RT was going in the opposite direction. I wave and no response. I just figured the person on the RT didn't wave to commoners. Of course it could have been he was on his spyder and having a great time and didn't see what was coming.
    Last edited by wyliec; 05-19-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Bob,

How about this? A few weeks ago I (on my GS) was on a deserted road, no curves, middle of the day and sun shining. I was going in one direction and an RT was going in the opposite direction. I wave and no response. I just figured the person on the RT didn't wave to commoners. Of course it could have been he was on his spyder and having a great time and didn't see what was coming.
    Or it could be he/she was busy doing any of the other 10 things on our newly created list.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was thinking that EXACT same thing!

Spyder Garage

I admit, I get a little annoyed when I throw out the casual wave to someone on a really nice cruiser/touring bike, and get a stare of disgust in return (usually in smaller towns, I'm sort of betting it is the 'weekend warrior crowds'). I will say that I have RARELY not gotten a return wave from sport-bikes, however...and scooters for that matter! I've been a little guilty of not returning a wave from time to time, I'm sure...I'm probably too busy poking at the GPS/iPod/Windshield/Suspension/Etc.

I look at it like this- We're not nearly as common as people on their vintage bikes. We have to be ambassadors for the Spyder community! We may be the FIRST spyder ryders that people have encountered on the road, so we need to make a good impression for those that come after us.

Also- I once had someone call my RT a 'plastic pony' compared to an 'iron horse.' I think it was supposed to be an insult, but I kind of like it!
    A real biker doesn't care about your opinion on his lifestyle, or his choice of steed.

Spyder Garage

Default Double Takes

When we ride together the Wife on her Ural and I on the Spyder I usually let her lead. She's a little newer at this than I and she still sets a pretty good pace and we try to never be in a hurry. She usually manages to wave at on coming riders, if her left hand isn't busy shifting or the like but I'm seriously afraid this combo is going to cause and accident when the other guy waves then does a double take at the Ural then sees the Spyder. Around here most everyone waves the exceptions I've noted are some big BMW drivers and the sport bike "too young to know crowd". Doesn't bother us we're having fun and bein' friendly.

No matter what you ride, ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Spyder Garage

s small group of us were out on a 80-90 mile ride today and were passed by numerous clusters of 2 wheelers,

some signalled, some didnt.... either wya........ we proceeded on our way and they proceeded on theirs....

sure it would be nice is everyone you dropped your hand to did the same, but as others have said, in the annals of time, it is but a mere speck......
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest