Thread: need to know

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

Default need to know

I have ordered a Se5 without ever having rode one of these things more then around a city block.. I now have one of my friends telling me he rode one for 170 miles this weekend with his wife on the back and he hates it.. He says please do not buy it.. Anyone out there wishing they had not bought it..

Spyder Garage

Default Re: need to know

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim
    I have ordered a Se5 without ever having rode one of these things more then around a city block.. I now have one of my friends telling me he rode one for 170 miles this weekend with his wife on the back and he hates it.. He says please do not buy it.. Anyone out there wishing they had not bought it..
    Wow, I've heard of people that still prefer their two wheels over the Spyder but this is the first time I have ever heard of someone outright hating the thing. Did he say why he hates it or what it is about it he didn't like? Was it because he was two up, would it have been better solo? I am curious what it is about the Spyder that he finds so negative. I love mine and it just keeps getting better and better.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

He said it hurt his back. and his hands went numb.. I am not sure how much was double and how much solo.. I have a knee problem and it is really making me wonder Thanks for your help..

Invalid Emails
    Pensacola Florida & Baja Alabama (Robertsdale)
    Spyder Garage

I haven't got mine yet but I have an opinion on this! I have been riding powered two wheelers for nearly half a century and if I could trust my leg not to dump us I would still be doing so.

I have only put on about twenty miles in test rides and both wore me out. For an old bike rider it probably is not a perfect replacement but from riding other trikes and side car rigs it handles best for me. I hope to be able to give a much better response in a couple of months.

From owning a Pacific Coast for the past eleven years I really wanted to get back to riding and this is my BEST option. It will take a lot of short trips for me to get used to it and trust my RETRAINING to ride with confidence. Only then will I start extending my rides and going two up. Until I reach that point I will wish every time I get on it for a regular bike but with time it will be MY ride.

If you are a ATV or snowmobile rider I think that it will take a lot less time to become proficient and really start enjoying it as you won't have so much to unlearn. The constant war with all those two wheel mile reactions was what made the first ride really tough and uncomfortable, the second was much better.

I kept my CB-750 for a couple of months after I got the PC and kept going back to it because it was what I was used to. I finally had to sell it just to convince myself that I had made the right choice and loved all 60,000 or so miles I put on the Pacific Coast. At least you will never be just another "Biker" even if Harley does bring out thier three-wheeler sometime in the future!

Shunkmanitu Ska

Spyder Garage

He said it hurt his back. and his hands went numb.. I am not sure how much was double and how much solo.. I have a knee problem and it is really making me wonder Thanks for your help..
    On my Harley my back and neck are killing me and I have had my left arm go numb at times (compressed discs in neck). When I test drove the Spyder, I didn't feel that at all - I wasn't riding long but normally on my Harley my neck acts right up pretty quick. I think the ergonomics for me are better w/ the Spyder than the "laid back" posture that the Harley gives me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have ordered a Se5 without ever having rode one of these things more then around a city block.. I now have one of my friends telling me he rode one for 170 miles this weekend with his wife on the back and he hates it.. He says please do not buy it.. Anyone out there wishing they had not bought it.
    I would suggest you ask your friend to let you ride his and see for yourself -- everyone is different as far as ergonomics. I can tell you this for certainty: most inexperienced Spyder riders grip the handlbars too tightly. It's a new and different riding experience, and that's sure to generate some trepidation and anxiety, hence the death grip.

I recommend you have your friend join the forum and do a little research about grip, numb hands and sore backs. There are a number of good suggestions regarding riding styles and techniques that could give him (and you) a different perspecitive.

For what it's worth, I've been riding motorcyles for many, many moons. I've always preferred the seating position offered by the Spyder -- upper body slightly forward of upright with feet under the rider -- so I find the Spyder to be supremely comfortable. The laid-back position of the Harley will NOT be optimum for the Spyder, especially if the intent is to take twisties with a bit of verve. Your feet must be under you to provide a solid base to support the rider's weight and to allow a grip with the inside knee. In a tight turn, your feet and inside knee are the only things keeping you from sliding off the Spyder!

Finally, there has been more than one post about the ridiculous asking prices for used Spyders. If worse comes to worst, you are unable to get a longer ride on a Spyder and you decide you don't want yours after the purchase, you'll likely have little difficulty getting your bucks back!

Regards,

Mark

Spyder Garage

I think your friend is nuts......

Bikers from all walks of life have said the Spyder is just about as smooth as it gets....

Spyder Garage

The first time I rode my Spyder my hands nearly fell off from gripping so tight. After a couple more rides, I loosened up a bit and now I find it supremely comfortable.

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

Thanks To all who answered.. I feel much better.. I have always wanted a bike but do to bad legs have been scared about two wheels.. The first time I saw a picture of the Spyder I felt this was for me.. I guess If i could have mine I could start riding and quit wondering.. Oh just for one year could November come before July.. LOl Thanks Again Email me anytime with Ideas..