Spyder Garage

Default question for my Vet brothers and sisters

Do any of you have difficulty getting medical care? My civilian doctor has departed the area. Since I am now TriCare Standard only, lost BCBS when I retired from my civilian job, we decided to go back to the base for care. Was told by Tri Care rep that the base clinic will no longer accept retiriees who were not previously in care. They will accept newly retired only. When I asked why, we were told that the clinic commander made the decision due to low manning and high demand. So now I have to go look for a doctor who will accept Tri Care and new patients. I know some of you are probably located near large Military Medical Hospitals so you may not have a problem.

Please, no political comments.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We were booted off Tricare Prime 6 years ago while I was recovering from surgery in a civilian hospital and forced into Tricare Standard also but I've been very fortunate. My primary care physician is now at a VA Clinic less than 1/2 mile from me and I've had numerous surgeries in the past 6 years, all at the Univ of Michigan Vascular Center, one of the best hospitals in the world and Sparrow Hospital in Lansing where my orthopedic surgeon is. I don't pay a co-payment at the VA Clinic. In the past 6 or so years I've had 18 surgeries and the only co-payment I had to pay was for a highly specialized CAT scan...a whopping $550. Check in your area for a VA Clinic...They've been building new ones all across the country. I get great care there regardless of all the horrible stories about the VA health system, it's better than what I was getting on Tricare Prime.
    Last edited by Littlebadwolf; 05-11-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Talking

Possible there will be some helpful tips here?

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/trica...care-standard/

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Contact your Regional Tri-Care central office and they should help! The good thing about Tri Care is that once on SS and they pay 80% and then they send the rest of the bill electronically to TriCare to pay the rest.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks all. I'll be working on this Monday morning. I lost my cool Friday when we went to the Tri Care office. I didn't yell or rant, rave because it's not their fault, but made my displeasure known. RE: the VA clinic. The clinic I'm assigned to is a 6 hour round trip. They are building a new one here but it's a least a year to opening.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Thanks all. I'll be working on this Monday morning. I lost my cool Friday when we went to the Tri Care office. I didn't yell or rant, rave because it's not their fault, but made my displeasure known. RE: the VA clinic. The clinic I'm assigned to is a 6 hour round trip. They are building a new one here but it's a least a year to opening.
    They also made changes this year that kicked you out of Prime unless you lived within a certain # of miles from a military medical facility. We switched from Standard to Prime this past year after we moved to Las Vegas and we have a fantastic Air Force hospital (air force always has nicest facilities) here. I had 3 eye surgeries this year and if we had been in Standard it would have cost us a bundle.

My husband is also seen at the VA clinics here of which we have at least 4 brand new clinics that have opened in the last year and a new hospital that opened late last year. That is a shame that your clinic is so far away from you. We are blessed to have such great facilities here.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Most doctors accept Tricare; at least based on what I see being in the medical/healthcare field. The problem is finding a doctor that accepts new patients. Then, finding what you consider a good one.

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Contact your Regional Tri-Care central office and they should help! The good thing about Tri Care is that once on SS and they pay 80% and then they send the rest of the bill electronically to TriCare to pay the rest.
    Are you assuming someone drawing SS is 65? Also, unless the doctor is a (Tricare) participating member, the Tricare rate of reimbursement is different.
    Last edited by wyliec; 05-11-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: question for my Vet brothers and sisters

Im still active duty so my situation is a little different but my folks are retired AF and they had to pick one of the providers on the web site. For them it was a trial by error until they found the one they liked.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    They also made changes this year that kicked you out of Prime unless you lived within a certain # of miles from a military medical facility. We switched from Standard to Prime this past year after we moved to Las Vegas and we have a fantastic Air Force hospital (air force always has nicest facilities) here. I had 3 eye surgeries this year and if we had been in Standard it would have cost us a bundle.

My husband is also seen at the VA clinics here of which we have at least 4 brand new clinics that have opened in the last year and a new hospital that opened late last year. That is a shame that your clinic is so far away from you. We are blessed to have such great facilities here.
    If you live within 40 miles of a MCF you will be changed to standard. This is by direction of DOD.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Are you assuming someone drawing SS is 65? Also, unless the doctor is a (Tricare) participating member, the Tricare rate of reimbursement is different.
    When you reach 65 you are eligable for Medicare. TriCare then becomes TFL or Tricare for life and is basically a medicare supplement.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

I thought I heard that if you are outside of 40 miles of a MCF you will loose prime. As for me I have been on Medicare and Tricare since the time I was made 100% P&T.

2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

When you reach 65 you are eligable for Medicare. TriCare then becomes TFL or Tricare for life and is basically a medicare supplement.
    I only mentioned that b/c Sarge707 made it sound like if you are drawing SS, you can get medicare. I started drawing SS at 62.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acinpcola View Post
    I thought I heard that if you are outside of 40 miles of a MCF you will loose prime. As for me I have been on Medicare and Tricare since the time I was made 100% P&T.

You're correct.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I only mentioned that b/c Sarge707 made it sound like if you are drawing SS, you can get medicare. I started drawing SS at 62.
    My Fault- Tricare for Life begins at Medicare (65) . I have been lucky not to have to use Tricare except for the free flu shot.
    With TriCare standard there is a $150 ($300 Married) initial deductable per Fiscal Year( Oct-Sep). And your catastophic (Most you can pay in a year) is $3,000. You guys probably already know this?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

You might try the local Vet organizations, VFW, Amvets or something. Some of them may have a services officer, that is up on all this. I used my employer insurance (mostly paid by them) until I quit, then I was on Tricare for life. I did have go looking for a new Doc and am still deciding if that is good or fair. Good luck with this mess. Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Another voice on the subject
    I retired at the mandatory retirement age of 60. Went immediately on TCP and took the medical file that I made for the VA to the local VA clinic and turned it in. The VA Nurse at the desk said " you know your eligible for TCP and recommended I pursue it.

At 62 started drawing SS continued on TCP upon reaching 65 we went on MC and TCP switched to TFL. MC being our primary and TFL the secondary.

We don't pay for anything but the co-pay on scripts and the full amount on eye wear scripts, and dental. Don't qualify for dental insurance darn it.

A USN veteran I know in GA is on MC/b and TCL Like we are also drives to FL for VA care and gets his eye wear and hearing aids through them.

We are quite fortunate VA wise. A clinic in Daytona Beach. A VA Nursing home in Daytona Beach. A VA hospital in Gainesville. But levels of patient care I am in the dark on. I do hear a lot of noise about service sucking until you start using the system.

Spyder Garage

Do any of you have difficulty getting medical care? My civilian doctor has departed the area. Since I am now TriCare Standard only, lost BCBS when I retired from my civilian job, we decided to go back to the base for care. Was told by Tri Care rep that the base clinic will no longer accept retiriees who were not previously in care. They will accept newly retired only. When I asked why, we were told that the clinic commander made the decision due to low manning and high demand. So now I have to go look for a doctor who will accept Tri Care and new patients. I know some of you are probably located near large Military Medical Hospitals so you may not have a problem.

Please, no political comments.

Perhaps this will help Bruiser http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/s...te=NC&dnum=ALL
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Signup for care at the VA.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    Another voice on the subject
    Don't qualify for dental insurance darn it.
    Bob,

I'm a little confused here. Currently I'm on Tricare Prime and picked up the dental through Tricare. As far as I'm aware there is no more qualification to get the dental except that you are Tricare (health plan) eligible and have it. Of course, the dental is around $33/month.