Thread: Bye Spyder

Spyder Garage

Default Bye Spyder

After my Spyder left us stranded in central Mississippi and had to be shipped back to Tampa, I just couldn't trust is for long trips. So, yesterday I left the Spyder world and joined the Goldwing trike world. We owned an 02 GW, and this 2013 brings back a lot of fond memories. I hadn't riden a trike in about 10 years, and was amazed at how well it handled and how easy it was to steer. The Spyder was fun, but we're looking forward to some long trips on the GW. When it broke down we were headed to SpyderFest, then west to the Grand Canyon. We plan to try again, probably next spring.

We've enjoyed y'all and hope to still everyone throughout the summer.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...1&d=1368244532

Cheers,

Mike & Sis
    Attached Images Attached Images

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Good luck to you and enjoy your Goldwing.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

You can still ride with me.. and have lunch somewhere... I am sure there are other Fl riders that feel the same way. It's not the ride that makes good friends, it's the people.

Spyder Garage

Forrest. Anytime, anywhere.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, We met such wonderful people, and I hope we don't loose touch. I kinda knew this is the response we get

Spyder Garage

Default No need..!!

for sad good bye's, your still welcome and who knows you may ryde a spyder again some day..like Bond said.."never say never" enjoy the new ride and be safe..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Bye Spyder

Nice wing. You and I can lead the pack of spyders around. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

Good idea Dave! It's great to be back on a Wing. I'd forgotten how nice they are...

Spyder Garage

Default Dont feel bad

For no reason mine would go into limp home and has left us stranded more than once. The last time was when we was on our way to spyderfest and the DPS came up on the screen at 70 mph in a curve with 4 cars behind me. That rock wall was getting close real fast to our left. My beloved RT did not come home with us. About got hung for going to spyderfest to trade spyder for 2013 Harley Tri Glide.
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Spyder Garage

Very sorry to see you leave the fold, but after seeing the severity of your problems, so early into the game, I don't blame you a bit. If it is any consolation, the problems you had were unusual. Enjoy your new ride.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Best of luck with the Gold Wing, hope it doesn't strand you like the Spyder (a neighbor of mine was halfway across the country when his GW broke down, spent two weeks at a dealer getting fixed. Moral of the story: mechanical things break, gotta roll with the punches!)
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    You can still ride with me.. and have lunch somewhere... I am sure there are other Fl riders that feel the same way. It's not the ride that makes good friends, it's the people.
    And Cindy & I are some of the people that Forrest just described above. I too hope that you and Sis will join us for our fun hamburgers, breakfasts or meeting where ever and having some down right fun.

Mike, you and Sis are a "class act". I do hope that ya'll will enjoy your new machine and get plenty of happy miles out of it.

Chris

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have wondered. How does the ride on your new trike compare to the Spyder? No considering your reliability issues.

Spyder Garage

Default goldwing

Goldwing is the best bike on the market as far as comfort and dependability and BRP is no comparision its got to be the worse on the market my bike been it the shop for two weeks and still no answer to the problems and I am like most of you cant trust it to go far BRP has a lot to learn also about serviceing customers good luck I might be doing the same or seeing a lawyer about mine soon

Spyder Garage

sounds like you did the right thing for you,me and most every one on here ride with the person not the bike your the one we care about not what bike you ride so ride that wing and have the time of your life ,and dont leave this form ,ride safe and enjoy life we care about each other on this site.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mango: Your post is almost exact what I was going to post. We also have decided for same reasons to trade off our Spyder for a used Road Smith Goldwing trike. Used trike only has 20,000 miles on it so just broke in. Spent to many hours under Spyder plus many $$$ repairs that Warranty covered. I really will miss ABS and other safety items on the spyder. I miss the torque and low rpms of a touring bike. See you over on the trike boards. Sure made many great friends on the Spyder around SW Fl. I hope no one thinks I am bashing Spyders, not at all the are a fun machine. They are just not my cup of tea. At 76 years of age we really just want easy going quiet, comfort and no problems on our long trips.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by J W Miller View Post
    I hope no one thinks I am bashing Spyders
    It's not bashing when all you are doing is expressing your experiences. Personally I think for the most part people give the "Spyder" more than enough chances to prove itself. Goldwing Trikes are "ultra awesome" good luck I am sure you will enjoy.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    I have wondered. How does the ride on your new trike compare to the Spyder? No considering your reliability issues.
    I last rode a Honda trike about 10 years ago, and it was horrible. I was shocked when I rode a new one. Very easy to steer, very solid, a lot of power, corners very well, just a great ride. I will probably change the OEM seat, like I did on the Spyder, but even with the stock seat it's a very comfortable bike. But then, so was my Spyder after many changes. I do feel a lot more secure on the GW, and know that it will go the distance. Spyders will also, usually. Mine problem was unique, but it was enough to scare me away. I like using regular gas, and having a 6.6 gallon fuel capacity, and about 34 mpg. I also like cruising on the Interstate at 70 and the engine is loafing along at a relaxing 3000 rpm, rather than 5000 on the Spyder. The Spyder was a lot of fun, and there is a wonderful community of Spyder riders and we hope to keep meeting and riding with them. But we are very happy with the GW and glad we made the change.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck and keep in touch and let us know your success and in between. Ride safe and God Bless.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by J W Miller View Post
    Mango: Your post is almost exact what I was going to post. We also have decided for same reasons to trade off our Spyder for a used Road Smith Goldwing trike. Used trike only has 20,000 miles on it so just broke in. Spent to many hours under Spyder plus many $$$ repairs that Warranty covered. I really will miss ABS and other safety items on the spyder. I miss the torque and low rpms of a touring bike. See you over on the trike boards. Sure made many great friends on the Spyder around SW Fl. I hope no one thinks I am bashing Spyders, not at all the are a fun machine. They are just not my cup of tea. At 76 years of age we really just want easy going quiet, comfort and no problems on our long trips.
    JW,

I'm on Trike Talk as MangoMike, hope to see you there.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm curious. With dealers in Jackson MS and Hattiesburg MS why did you have to ship it back to Tampa?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    I'm curious. With dealers in Jackson MS and Hattiesburg MS why did you have to ship it back to Tampa?
    I was halfway between Memphis and Jackson. Was told by another SpyderLovers member that Jackson was a small shop with one tech and I'd be better off in Memphis. So we towed the bike to Memphis where they spent two days analyzing the problem and found they would not be able to get to it for a long time. My only option was to ship it back to my dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderpoop View Post
    Goldwing is the best bike on the market as far as comfort and dependability and BRP is no comparision its got to be the worse on the market my bike been it the shop for two weeks and still no answer to the problems and I am like most of you cant trust it to go far BRP has a lot to learn also about serviceing customers good luck I might be doing the same or seeing a lawyer about mine soon

Sorry: But It's getting hard to not say something about the quote above. I note that our resident basher/cheerleader is back to once again grind the old axe.

Sorry to hear of Mango Mike and the couple others who have had issues. You have to do what you have to do. No one wants a vehicle that they cannot trust to bring them back home and not get stranded somewhere. Best wishes on your new rydes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderpoop View Post
    It's hard to take you seriously when you can't even punctuate a sentence.