Thread: GPS Questions

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS Questions

I am curious as to what GPS people here are using as how they have it mounted. I'm gathering information so I can be ready for the arrival of my machine!!! All your advice is greatly appreciated I have gathered many idea's from this site already.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: GPS Questions

I run the iway 600. I made my own mount and so far it's working out great.

Spyder Garage

Garmin Zumo 550 can be had for around $650 online and is pretty much the king of all GPS units. Built in Bluetooth and MP3 player, XM radio with additional antennae.

They come with both a bike and car mount and are just snapped in and out to swap.

GREAT units.

I would insert photos of my simple installation... but clicking 'insert image' only does this:

[img][/img]

Here is a link to my install over on CAT (sorry lamont.... can't figure out your photo posting).

http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/ind...ndpost&p=43695

Spyder Garage

I went a little cheaper and got the Garmin Zumo 450. Very similar to the Zumo 550 but is not Bluetooth capable and it speaks the directions by turn direction and distance only. The 550 speaks the street name of where to turn ("Turn left on Main street" as opposed to "Turn left in 300 feet"). I did save about $150 or $200 by getting the 450 instead of the 550. I might have preferred an iWay like lamonster has but I didn't know about much about them when I bought the Zumo. I like the thought of the larger screen size and memory capability of the iWay. Still, for as often as I use it, I am very happy with the Zumo 450.

Anyways, this is the link to my GPS install. It's very similar to Danimal's.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

The 550 takes SD-cards... up to 8 GB each... so I have my whole music collection on 3 small SD cards... way cool!

The 550 also speaks your destinations..... and will say anything you name a destination.... so yes...... you can make the 550 curse if you like...... ask me how I know..... ;D

I also like to put on one of the Australian voices and hear it tell me to go 'round-a-bout'..... LOL !

Spyder Garage

The 450 takes SD cards too but the owners manual only states 250KB or 500KB cards. I figured that was just referring to the ones that Garmin was selling for the 450 so I went to Staples and bought a 2GB card and filled it with music. The 450 only sees up to 500KB of the 2GB card. :-[ That shot down one of my riding music plans. Oh well, I'll just hook up to the 30GB iPod when riding.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Make sure and keep your Zumo updated with the latest software online from the Garmin site. Mine wouldn't read the HI-SD cards properly at first either..... then I downloaded the new software and it works fine. It can actually read the 16 GB cards.... but only like 12 GB of them.... so I just went for the 8 GB cards instead.

Works like a charm.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I went simple & cheap. A Tom Tom 1 mounted with the suction cup on my F1 winshield plugged into the 12V receptacle on my dash. My only complaint is that the screen is hard to see through my polarized sunglasses.