Thread: Now what BRP?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Now what BRP?

After I got my new fuel cap and installed it. The fuel fumes and smell is gotten worst. Anybody got this problem??????? Right now I need to call BRP I'm not riding until this is resolve.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Overfilling? Fuel vapor canister vent hose recall done?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

GOT AN RSS, BUT MY FUEL SMELLS HAVE DISAPPEARED! BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERFILL!

Spyder Garage

No fuel smells on my two RT's--either before or after the new cap.

I am guessing you may have messed up the cannister by overfilling at some time. Hope you get it solved quickly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

3 Spyders in my garage... not one with issues, before or after the gas cap recall. You might have bad canister or hoses.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Default For a bit..!!

Did not have the smell but installed the new cap and did. Learned here to fill slowly, and not over fill and the problem is gone...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    After I got my new fuel cap and installed it. The fuel fumes and smell is gotten worst. Anybody got this problem??????? Right now I need to call BRP I'm not riding until this is resolve.
    I guess you won't be riding for a long time if you wait for brp to do something. i have had that problem since nov 2007.

Spyder Garage

Never quite understood this objection.

Sometimes my RS smells like gas. Sometimes it doesn't.

Every bike I've ever ridden sometimes smells like gas. Sometimes they don't. Bikes aren't cars, I expect this sort of thing. Funny smells, funny noises, etc. "I don't want my bike to smell like gas/oil/exhaust" is generally up there with "I don't want the sun to be so hot" or "I don't want dogs that bark" in the pantheon of complaints, i.e. they're generally the nature of the beast.

I'm not saying there's not something going on with the canister, or hoses, or overfueled fuel tank, or something else. But if there is, it doesn't seem to make a lick of difference, other than the occasional smell.

Would it be nice if BRP came up with a fix? Sure, I guess, if people are bothered by it. But since this doesn't appear to be a constant problem on EVERY Spyder-- but a rare problem on some Spyders-- and a problem of no obvious consequence other than annoyance (the early fires on the GS weren't related to this gas smell deal), I don't envision what can easily be done. Heck, they already tried a new cap... what next?
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post

Did you watch Lamonts video on how to install this mod???

Several folks just put it on without watching the video or reading the instructions and now they are paying the penalty.

Did you throw away the old cap as per the instructions? the new cap don't like the old cap in the same room as it, and will raise a stink.

Just sayin

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

When I was dealing with other issues. BRP told me that if you are not shifting at higher RPM's and running
    the machine at higher RPM's that the vapor canister /systems on the bike do not work properly. According to
    them open her up and let her sing 5000+ should clear things up. SE5 need to shift above 4000 for the clutches
    to engage properly. No fumes on my new RS dont really remember fumes on my 09 either yet my wife says
    I cant smell anything anyway. Worked in a shop with gas and oil to many years. Good luck Dean