Spyder Garage

Default Running Out of Time - SM10 Question

I tried to cherry pick a couple of responders to past SM10 BT transmitter postings to get the answer, but I'm running out of time with a big trip coming up. So I will open this up to the general group.

I want to install the SM10 BT module from SENA; however, I'm not sure where it connects to pick up the sound system output. I tried connecting it to the 7-pin din socket in the trunk, but that appears to be input only. I DO NOT have the CB/Comm unit, but I do have a GPS with the harness connected to the radio.

Can the SM10 be installed on an RT-S without the CB/Comm unit installed? ...Gnirtsnod

P.S. Anyone want to buy a custom Harley FLHTCU? It sure is gathering a lot of dust in my garage...!

Spyder Garage

I have the CanAm Bluetooth Dongle kit installed in the rear trunk of my 2012 RT-S. The Can Am kit includes the Sena Dongle along with mounts and cables. I no not have the CB/Entertainment harness on my Spyder. I do have the factory stereo set up. One of the setups in the CanAm kit has the connection that plugs into the front lower port of the stereo radio (two ports, one will already be used), just pull the cap and plug in the connector for the cable to the dongle. It did require some disassembly of the rear trunk, passenger backrest and rear side tupperware to route the cable thru the rear trunk, thru the right rear speaker and to the radio which is under the passenger's right hand grip. There is an earlier post on the Dongle install that contains some very good info on his install, mine was similar.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...tions-Answered
    Last edited by cdavid; 05-09-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Added link
    David
    2012 Spyder RTS SE5 - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you buy the dongle from BRP, you get the same SM10, but you also get a wiring harness that hooks into the radio module - if you don't have the CB / Entertainment harness.

From what I've heard, when it is hooked in that way, you can't control the volume from the handlebar controller - it is a fixed output.

What I did was to buy an impedance matching box from a local car audio store, then tapped that into the rear speakers, to the Line In of the SM10. I can turn the volume up and down from the handlebar, or mute if I need to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    If you buy the dongle from BRP, you get the same SM10, but you also get a wiring harness that hooks into the radio module - if you don't have the CB / Entertainment harness.

From what I've heard, when it is hooked in that way, you can't control the volume from the handlebar controller - it is a fixed output.

What I did was to buy an impedance matching box from a local car audio store, then tapped that into the rear speakers, to the Line In of the SM10. I can turn the volume up and down from the handlebar, or mute if I need to.
    When I installed the GPS, I had to purchase a harness from BRP that plugs into the radio harness plug behind the right saddlebag. I'll bet this is the same harness you are referring to. Now, If I only knew where to plug the SENA SM10 into this harness...?

Spyder Garage

When I bought my Garmin Zumo 665 GPS I also had to order the Can Am GPS Support and Harness #219400318 to install the GPS to work with the factory stereo. The harness connected to the Garmin GPS cable and then the other end went to the stereo radio.

The Can Am Bluetooth Dongle for the Audio System #219400458 has the cable in the kit that Can Am made to connect the Sena SM-10 (which is included in the kit) to the stereo radio or CB/Entertainment Harness, depending on your Spyder's setup. For me, with no CB/Entertainment harness, I used the connection that goes to the second port in the stereo radio (next to where the GPS harness connected up to the radio harness).

The Sena SM-10, as sold by Sena, does not have this proprietary cable made by Can Am. The cable is not sold separately by Can Am per their installation instructions in the Dongle kit. I know there has been some discussion of an aftermarket cable that will do this, I have not found any source, but have stopped looking since I have the BRP Can Am kit. Look at the current BRP Cam Am Spyder Parts and Accessories Catalog for 2013 on page 66 and you will find the Bluetooth Dongle kit. It says it is for 2013 Spyders, however it works without issue on my 2012 RT-S. You will find the GPS Support and Harness on page 49.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by cdavid; 05-10-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    David
    2012 Spyder RTS SE5 - Sold

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dongle & cable

I saw "Dave one of our suppliers for Sena" I talked to him he has a shortcable that will fit on the Dingle if used in the back of the bike. It's only $20. If you look at his "Thread" from earlier this month ; a lot of happy Spyerlover customers. This hooks to the radio in the back of the Spyder.
    I have a question if any one is using the dual head sets no matter which way You hooked it up to the radio when using either the Ipod or I phone pluged in it's locstion. Can you hear the music on both head set s?
    SFC. RICK & LORI

Retired US Army , Member Michigan PRG
    RIDE HARD/RIDE SAFE

2013 RT Limited Black Currant New 4/8/2013
    2010 RT Audio Package Black/ Sold 2012
    2008 GS Silver Moon /Sold 2010

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default SM10 Trunk Installation

I completed installation of the SM10 kit about a week ago. To me it made sense to place the unit in the trunk for easier access. I hooked it directly to the radio and wound the cable up and placed it behind the right rear speaker as a previous writer suggested. The SENA was fully charged when I installed it. It's my understanding that it draws power from the radio connection via the DC power port. My intention was to leave the SM10 power switch on permanently as would have been the case had it been installed in the frunk. After a couple of days the headsets were acting intermittently. When I looked the lights on the SM10 were faint. Close to dead battery on the unit. Because of the location in the trunk I was easily able to un-attach the device from it's stick on bracket, bring it inside and recharge it. Now once again because of it's location in the trunk, I've been turning it off when not in use. I left the original cable connect to the radio from the factory in place. I plugged the dongle for the SM10 into the radio's second (covered with a rubber boot) port. The radio works wonderfully through both headsets. When the spyder is running the SM10 shows it's charging. Have others had similar charging dilemmas.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SM10 Question

I have managed to get my on board RT Output from the Spyder Audio system to my Sena SMH10 Headsets

See post #6

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...235#post510235

Ref the SM10 Question

I have upgraded my system added a Sena SM10 dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter
    This allows my on board Spyder RT Audio to be streamed to my SENA SMH10 Headsets
    I have used velcro on the back and this holds against the rear of the trunk
    The Sena SM10 runs on an internal battery but can be run and charged up at the same time using the existing power socket already in the rear trunk using the car charger which goes into the SM10 - That way they are charged when being used whilst out riding

Either turn off the SM10 or just remove the plug from the power socket when the SM10 is not in use

See photos :-SAM_0396 (640x480).jpgSAM_0397 (640x480).jpgSAM_0398 (640x480).jpgSAM_0400 (640x480).jpg

I purchased all the items from either Autocom or normal Sena Suppliers none of my system is BRP OEM Which was not available at the time anyway

u
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I CAN SHIP TODAY

Everyone here is giving you great input on the SM10 transmitter and the SCA0123 cable
    you just plug it in and go can't be easier. Control volume with the big round knob on the SMH10 on your
    helmet.
    SM10 Transmitter $114.00
    SCA0123 Cable $20.00
    + shipping.
    Hope this helps
    Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by gnirtsnod View Post
    I tried to cherry pick a couple of responders to past SM10 BT transmitter postings to get the answer, but I'm running out of time with a big trip coming up. So I will open this up to the general group.

I want to install the SM10 BT module from SENA; however, I'm not sure where it connects to pick up the sound system output. I tried connecting it to the 7-pin din socket in the trunk, but that appears to be input only. I DO NOT have the CB/Comm unit, but I do have a GPS with the harness connected to the radio.

Can the SM10 be installed on an RT-S without the CB/Comm unit installed? ...Gnirtsnod

P.S. Anyone want to buy a custom Harley FLHTCU? It sure is gathering a lot of dust in my garage...!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool My 2nd question Sena

I understand how to put the dongle in & connect the cable. The 2nd part of my question: Pluging the IPod or IPhone in to the location in the rear trunk. WILL YOU HEAR THE MUSIC IN PAIRED HEADSETS SMH10-11 BECAUSE IT GOES THRU THE SOUND SYSTEM ?? IF NO ONE HAS TRIED THIS I UNDERSTAND THE RADIO WILL WOULD YOU TRY THE IPOD OR IPHONE PLEASE THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
    SFC. RICK & LORI

Retired US Army , Member Michigan PRG
    RIDE HARD/RIDE SAFE

2013 RT Limited Black Currant New 4/8/2013
    2010 RT Audio Package Black/ Sold 2012
    2008 GS Silver Moon /Sold 2010

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SFC View Post
    I understand how to put the dongle in & connect the cable. The 2nd part of my question: Pluging the IPod or IPhone in to the location in the rear trunk. WILL YOU HEAR THE MUSIC IN PAIRED HEADSETS SMH10-11 BECAUSE IT GOES THRU THE SOUND SYSTEM ?? IF NO ONE HAS TRIED THIS I UNDERSTAND THE RADIO WILL WOULD YOU TRY THE IPOD OR IPHONE PLEASE THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

My understanding would be anything output by the Audio System E.G. Radio etc will be sent via the 3.5mm Connecting lead into the SM10 This transfers the input to a Bluetooth output for both helmets

They way mine is set up is I put the Radio on to hear that - My i Pod is connected as normal to the connection in the rear trunk via the OEM I Pod connecting lead
    To switch from Radio to I Pod I just select i Pod via the RECC (Roadster Electronic Command Center)
    Select in the Audio menu (Aux) - Shows up as I Pod if an I Pod is connected
    This then plays my I Pod to my Sena SHM10 headsets via the SM10 Unit
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

I've got a 2013 ST-Limited w/garman GPS.... I only want to dual stream bt iPhone to two helmets. Do I still require a dongle? Considering the smh10.....