Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default question for ST Limited owners

Hi, I am thinking about buying a 2013 ST Limited. Can anyone tell me what it is like going from a motorcycle to a Spyder. I currently have a 2003 HD Electra Glide Standard and am thinking about making the change. Has anyone done that? Did it take a while to adjust? Are the Spyders as fun to ride as motorcycles? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks, Jill

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder ST

A Spyder is too much fun!

Spyder Garage

Cool ST Limited

Many of our members if not most moved from 2 wheels to 3. For most of us, it was an adjustment. One big fact - Spyders Do Not Lean! Those who have ridden 4 wheelers seem to adjust immediately. Are they as much fun? Absolutely! Is it a different kind of fun? I believe so. You lose the fear factor. Spyders don't tip over or slip out from under you. You're still out, in the open air, you can still smell the roses, but you are more relaxed. I currently ride a RS, but come Saturday, I will be riding my new ST Limited and I can't wait! Just call me a Happy Spyder Ryder!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I still have my Harley FLHX (Street Glide), but bought my 2013 ST-Limited for longer (1000+ miles) 2-up rides. There wasn't much of a learning curve for me due to the fact that I had raced Quads (ATV's) for a number of years.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RS to ST Limited

Well, I hope you will post to let everyone know how you like your new ST. I am really considering the Limited, also. I don't have a lot of experience on quads, only 13 years on motorcycles. It just looks like it would be perfect for road trips.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aviscomi View Post
    I still have my Harley FLHX (Street Glide), but bought my 2013 ST-Limited for longer (1000+ miles) 2-up rides. There wasn't much of a learning curve for me due to the fact that I had raced Quads (ATV's) for a number of years.
    Do you like riding your Limited as much as your Street Glide? I wonder how it does in the rain and on gravel?

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ST-Limited

I rode a Harley 1200 Sportster for a couple of years, loved the bike, but due to some physical issues, felt unsafe at times. Attended a 3-wheeler safety class intending to trade it in on a Harley Trike, but there was a green Spyder in the class. I fell in love with it! It felt really odd at first!!! But loved loved loved it!!! I had such great fun on it, and zipping around the cones was super. It does take some getting use to, and making long corners takes some practice to keep from being jerky, and you have to learn not to have a death grip on the handles. I bought the ST-Limited and I do love it!! I feel safer and more confident on it. The more I ride, the more I love it. And even though it is a bit spendy, I am SO glad I bought it. And most 2 wheeler bikers give me the wave or a nod, and I don't care about those who don't, or feel I don't deserve to be out there. I am doing what I am loving and that is all that matters. It rides differently, as was mentioned, but it is a lot of fun. Just different. Give it a try!! Good Luck!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 03hdjill View Post
    Do you like riding your Limited as much as your Street Glide? I wonder how it does in the rain and on gravel?
    I am currently in Daytona Beach, FL. I rode the ST down here from Philadelphia PA and the last 300 miles of my ride was in a steady rain. I could have never rode my Harley through that rainstorm for that length of time. Hell, I didn't even have to slow down. I do feel a bit strange riding the Spyder whenever a "roll up" next to a Harley; especially when I'm wearing a Harley Tshirt & jacket. I can honestly say that the ST is "hands down" a more comfortable ride than my Street Glide.

Spyder Garage

As for the learning curve IMO the things you will have to work on are staying in the saddle in curves (unlike a 2 wheeler that leans and pushes you into the seat the spyder feels like it is trying to push you off the seat because it does not lean but the forces are still there), keeping the revs high. There is an excellent thread "Do's and Do Not's" for new Spyder owners that you should checkout as it has some very good advice.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

I have a Goldwing and a Spyder ST-S. We bought the Spyder for the wife but I enjoy riding it also. I still like my Wing but if anything happens to it, I think I would get another Spyder and say goodbye to 2 wheels. I was surprised how easily I adjusted to the spyder. My wife took a 3-wheel MSF course on a Wing trike then we bought the Spyder. She was afraid to ride it the 20 miles home so I had to do it. Even though I had never ridden a trike of any kind, I had no problem. I spent a few minutes in the dealer parking lot getting the feel for it and then rode home. We both had already read the Do's and Don't's post on this board several times so I was as ready as I could be. Not a problem.

And yes, it is fun. Different but still fun. No regrets for us.

Spyder Garage

I will add one thing. We've only ridden the Spyder 2-up one time for about 20 miles. It is a little cramped compared to the Wing, according to my wife (she was on back).

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...

Hi, I am thinking about buying a 2013 ST Limited. Can anyone tell me what it is like going from a motorcycle to a Spyder. I currently have a 2003 HD Electra Glide Standard and am thinking about making the change. Has anyone done that? Did it take a while to adjust? Are the Spyders as fun to ride as motorcycles? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks, Jill
    What a coincidence. I was getting ready to post the same question when your post showed up. Just sold my 02 BMW K1200RS and I have been looking at the ST-S.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aviscomi View Post
    I am currently in Daytona Beach, FL. I rode the ST down here from Philadelphia PA and the last 300 miles of my ride was in a steady rain. I could have never rode my Harley through that rainstorm for that length of time. Hell, I didn't even have to slow down. I do feel a bit strange riding the Spyder whenever a "roll up" next to a Harley; especially when I'm wearing a Harley Tshirt & jacket. I can honestly say that the ST is "hands down" a more comfortable ride than my Street Glide.
    Every time my husband and I take our bikes on long trips it rains. I know exactly what you mean. That is nice to hear that they do well in the rain. I have always thought my Electra Glide was comfortable, but the ST looks like it would be even more comfortable.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
    I rode a Harley 1200 Sportster for a couple of years, loved the bike, but due to some physical issues, felt unsafe at times. Attended a 3-wheeler safety class intending to trade it in on a Harley Trike, but there was a green Spyder in the class. I fell in love with it! It felt really odd at first!!! But loved loved loved it!!! I had such great fun on it, and zipping around the cones was super. It does take some getting use to, and making long corners takes some practice to keep from being jerky, and you have to learn not to have a death grip on the handles. I bought the ST-Limited and I do love it!! I feel safer and more confident on it. The more I ride, the more I love it. And even though it is a bit spendy, I am SO glad I bought it. And most 2 wheeler bikers give me the wave or a nod, and I don't care about those who don't, or feel I don't deserve to be out there. I am doing what I am loving and that is all that matters. It rides differently, as was mentioned, but it is a lot of fun. Just different. Give it a try!! Good Luck!
    Glad you like yours. I saw people taking the MSF class on the Spyders. Looked like fun. How many miles do you have on your ST?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BMWpilot View Post
    What a coincidence. I was getting ready to post the same question when your post showed up. Just sold my 02 BMW K1200RS and I have been looking at the ST-S.
    Well let me know what you think if you get one. I am looking for a white pearl limited. Don't know if I will find one around PA.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by azjerry View Post
    I will add one thing. We've only ridden the Spyder 2-up one time for about 20 miles. It is a little cramped compared to the Wing, according to my wife (she was on back).
    I would be getting the Limited because I don't think we will be riding 2 up very often. I will be giving my husband my FLHTI and we will sell his Road King.

Spyder Garage

It's as close to driving an ATV at 100 MPH as you're going to get. I have an RT and my wife is getting her cycle endorsement now and we are looking at an ST for her. We'll keep the RT for 2 up riding and the RT and ST when we ride individually.

Kraig
    2012 RT SE5
    2010 RT-622 trailer
    2013 Triump Bonneville T100
    1971 Honda CT70
    1972 Honda CT70H

Spyder Garage

well I don't own an st but I own an rss and all I can tell you is they ought to illegal, as they are just too much fun for one person to handle! you just can't go wrong with a spyder. they are a lot safer when you hit the wet roads and the gravel on the corners too!

Spyder Garage

RE: Differences: I rode two wheelers up until last summer. 48 years or so, and 35 assorted from a 80cc one lunger to the 2000cc Vulcan LT.

The Spyder is a totally different animal than a two wheeler. No lean, different operating proceedures, etc. Once you get past that--you should have no problem.

Those that try the for the first time say they are a bit squirrly and hard to control. Most of this is caused by driver input. (Not taking into account the ball joint issue and subsequent fix on the 2013's).

There is a learning curve on driving the . Older bikers like myself, take about 1000 miles before it becomes natural. I took about 1500 miles. Non-bikers are pretty good at 500 miles or so.

Will it be right for you? Only you can answer that question. Recommend a test ride--a long one if possible. Then you will know.

Let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-08-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAPike View Post
    It's as close to driving an ATV at 100 MPH as you're going to get. I have an RT and my wife is getting her cycle endorsement now and we are looking at an ST for her. We'll keep the RT for 2 up riding and the RT and ST when we ride individually.
    LOL....I would have no idea what it would feel like to drive an ATV @ 100 mph..LOL That is the thing...I only have real experience with motorcycles. I have been on a quad only a few times and it was to do work around our farm.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    RE: Differences I rode two wheelers up until last summer. 48 years or so, and 35 assorted from a 80cc one lunger to the 2000cc Vulcan LT.

The Spyder is a totally different animal than a two wheeler. No lean, different operating proceedures, etc. Once you get past that--you should have no problem.

Those that try the for the first time say they are a bit squirrly and hard to control. Most of this is caused by driver input. (Not taking into account the ball joint issue and subsequent fix on the 2013's).

There is a learning curve on driving the . Old bikers like myself, take about 1000 miles before it becomes natural. I took about 1500 miles. Non-bikers are pretty good at 500 miles or so.

Will it be right for you? Only you can answer that question. Recommend a test ride--a long one if possible. Then you will know.

Let us know what you decide.
    I will let you know. I am going to test drive one. I wanted to make sure it was the ST Limited, though. If I am thinking of buying it I want to make sure that is the model I drive. Even looking at the controls seemed so foreign and a bit intimidating....like no clutch or hand brakes...

Spyder Garage

Default ST LTD

I bought my ST-S in January and have over 2300 miles on it. I had last owned a 2 wheeler in the '80's. It didn't take me any time to get used to the Spyder. I love not having to put my feet down when I come to a stop, and not having to worry about riding in the rain or watching out for loose gravel. If you buy one I think you will love it.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    I bought my ST-S in January and have over 2300 miles on it. I had last owned a 2 wheeler in the '80's. It didn't take me any time to get used to the Spyder. I love not having to put my feet down when I come to a stop, and not having to worry about riding in the rain or watching out for loose gravel. If you buy one I think you will love it.
    That is exactly what I was hoping. Plus, it would be nice to be able to get backed out of a situation ( which happens on occasion ) on a slight grade by having "reverse" instead of needing a push backward.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default How many miles?

Glad you like yours. I saw people taking the MSF class on the Spyders. Looked like fun. How many miles do you have on your ST?
    I am barely over 600 and need to take it in for its first service. I work full time and weather hasn't been kind. I'm a nice weather rider. But plan on putting many many miles on it this year!!! I have been on the freeways at 75 and it handles beautifully, but prefer the slower lazier riding. I have also started riding it to work and although it is chilly in the mornings as I leave the house at 6:00 am, when I hop on at 4:00 pm and its a warm day, its a great ride home!!!
    Last edited by Zenagirl; 05-09-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: To add riding to and from work.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up BRP definitely hit the nail rite on the head when they invented this fantastimachine

Now I can truly say there is a bike out here for every Physicall attribute a person can have . The Spyder accommodates every single rider in so many ways , my only regret is that I don't ride my sts as often as I want . You won't regret getting one !