Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default ST heat on left side

Our ST-S seems to get pretty hot on the left side, just in front of the seat about where the left knee is. It doesn't bother me, I guess my legs stick out a little farther but when my wife rides it, it is really noticeable to her. the left side is very much hotter than the right side. Is this common, anybody else have an issue with it or is it just us?

Spyder Garage

I test rode an STS for a couple of hours and felt like I had to keep my leg away from the tupperware in order to avoid
    getting burned. Dealer said nothing wrong with bike, just a hot spot on it. Apparently most riders ride with their legs away from the bike so it doesn't come up often
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

High Temp exhaust wrap will cure that problem. Wrap as much of the pipe as possible.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

I've downloaded the service manual but not looked at it yet so I know nothing about the configuration of this machine. Is the exhaust that high up on the left side?

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is heat on the left side near knee and seat.......I would think that shorter people will be affected more....I feel it...the exhaust is not that high....but there is no place for the heat to escape

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

thanks all for the replies.

Spyder Garage

I wrapped my exhaust and also applied Thermo Tec adhesive backed aluminum heat shield to the inside of the panels which helped even more than the wrap did. I'm also thinking of removing the black plastic block-off strip between the side panels, the 2013 RS's don't have it on there. The left knee used to get really hot, I barely feel it at all now.DSC00253.jpg

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Rock'nSTLtd's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Pretty warm

I to have noticed the heat on my left leg. So far I have just been on short rides and have tolerated it; however we will see how it is on a longer trip. May have to try the Thermo Tec.

Spyder Garage

Default Pipe heat..!!

the forward cylinder exhaust pipe runs across that side. The rear cylinder drops down. Most of the heat will be felt when in traffic/stop and go. Summer is bad, so wrapping the pipe as well as heat shield will help..I just keep on moving fast...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thermo Tec adhesive?

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    I wrapped my exhaust and also applied Thermo Tec adhesive backed aluminum heat shield to the inside of the panels which helped even more than the wrap did. I'm also thinking of removing the black plastic block-off strip between the side panels, the 2013 RS's don't have it on there. The left knee used to get really hot, I barely feel it at all now.DSC00253.jpg
    Will applying this to the inside of the panel not make it too hot for the bike? I have a problem with the heat as well, and I like to sit with my knees next to the bike, not away from the bike, and have already been wondering how I will survive on hot days as it gets quite hot there. Sounds like a great solution you came up with, but I don't want to cause my bike to overheat. Do I need to be concerned about that happening? Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I did the same exact setup on my GS and never overheated, and I do notice the ST has a much more powerful fan, it really puts out the air compared to the GS. I may remove the block off strip of black plastic to let more heat out also, and removing the splash panels underneath will also give the heat a place to escape and make your oil changes much easier.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat on the left side

I did the same exact setup on my GS and never overheated, and I do notice the ST has a much more powerful fan, it really puts out the air compared to the GS. I may remove the block off strip of black plastic to let more heat out also, and removing the splash panels underneath will also give the heat a place to escape and make your oil changes much easier.
    Wonderful! I am going to give it try! Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Spyder Garage

Please enlighten me. where is the black plastic block off strip?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by azjerry View Post
    Please enlighten me. where is the black plastic block off strip?
    The black plastic strip is between the oil reservoir side cover and the mid side panel on the ST, if you look on the other side there isn't one. The RS's have neither one, not sure why they would put one on just the ST, but that may explain the heat issue unless RS owners are noticing the heat also. It is easy enough to remove and see if it makes a difference before you wrap the exhaust or add the heat barrier. You may get a little heat coming up through there while sitting still but the panel may not get as hot while riding. The front exhaust runs just a couple of inches under that panel and strip, wrapping even 12 inches of that pipe may help also.

Spyder Garage

The black plastic strip is between the oil reservoir side cover and the mid side panel on the ST, if you look on the other side there isn't one. The RS's have neither one, not sure why they would put one on just the ST, but that may explain the heat issue unless RS owners are noticing the heat also. It is easy enough to remove and see if it makes a difference before you wrap the exhaust or add the heat barrier. You may get a little heat coming up through there while sitting still but the panel may not get as hot while riding. The front exhaust runs just a couple of inches under that panel and strip, wrapping even 12 inches of that pipe may help also.
    OK thanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RS-S and have noticed heat on left side when stopped or going slow on a hot day, 80 deg or so, but not bad. Someone posted about a week ago that they put the 2013 ST plastic strip on their RS and it REDUCED heat on their left leg.

Spyder Garage

Stopped or going slow for an extended period on an 80 degree day you will feel heat coming from anywhere there is an opening, but at 70 mph my ST would get so warm where my left knee hugs the panel I would find myself holding my knee out 4-5" away.

Spyder Garage

Yesterday I wrapped the exhaust pipe and the wife took it for a ride. No noticeable difference in heat, the left side is very hot to the touch. I guess we'll try something else.

Spyder Garage

Default SPLASH PANELS ON ST

Capt. Jim mentioned removing the splash panels under the ST to help with the heat issue. Also in another thread, Lamont mentioned removing the splash panel on an RT when making your first oil change and leaving it off. I just wonder if leaving the splash panels off of my ST is a good idea if I am cruising on a wet road or run over road debris. Has anyone removed their ST splash panels? If so, any ill effects under different road conditions?
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

My left side splash panel fell off after an oil change (long story). After having a new one installed I think there is less heat...
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

we cut a hole in mine...change oil easier and lets hot air out

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Two-wheel motorcycle riders are conditioned to hug the tank with their knees. Obviously, this is not necessary on a Spyder. If you have a SE5 with the huge floorboards, you only have to move your foot to the center of the floorboard to avoid the hot air flow. Maybe this is another reason to get a SE5.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Capt. Jim mentioned removing the splash panels under the ST to help with the heat issue. Also in another thread, Lamont mentioned removing the splash panel on an RT when making your first oil change and leaving it off. I just wonder if leaving the splash panels off of my ST is a good idea if I am cruising on a wet road or run over road debris. Has anyone removed their ST splash panels? If so, any ill effects under different road conditions?
    I have removed my splash panels on my ST and also my GS 35,000 miles ago, along with the rear fenders and upper and lower belt guards on both, haven't had a problem with anything, knock on wood.

Spyder Garage

The splash panels are the black plastic pieces below the floor boards, right? Why did you remove all that, do you just like the appearance better or some other reason?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Improvement

Good to see they moved it from the right foot.