Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Our 2012 rt limited se5 was stalling at stop lights and signs because somehow the front spark plug came lose, so I purchashed a set of plugs and plug wires from BahaRon and the problem cleared right up. Ron was very very helpful with our problem. We also have over 20000 miles on her.

Spyder Garage

Got my spyder a few months ago and I had the same issue which the dealer never found any reason. In fact, it stalled on the way home from the dealer I finally noticed that it happens as I slow down while approaching a stop light. I noticed if I don't keep my foot on the break, but, instead lightly tap the breaks as I approach the light, it does not stall. Thankfully, I learned this trick from this site.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 998 bikes have shown this trait...
    After a couple of hundred miles or so; they seem to "clear their throats", and stop doing it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ST Stalls

I got my st-s in Michighan "never stalled" but after coming to Fla. Stalls all the time! after getting in stop and go traffic. It has about 6000 miles on it. I have been to 2 dealers,> got no answers.As I have read in this thread .> I keep throttle up to keep from stalling, hoping if changing to a differnt spark plug will help? I always run best fuel and never let it get low. So if anyone has switched plugs? let me know > what kind? and if you also did the cables?

I also have an 2011 RT and has never stalled

thank you

BJ

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by DrewNJ; 12-27-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default st limited semi auto 2013 stalling

my 2013 stl now has 2500 mi, in first 350miles it stalled 3 times and then cured itself!

keep the faith

Quote Originally Posted by Rock'nSTLtd View Post
    I have had my ST Limited for 11 days and it has stalled 3 times while sitting in 1st gear. It has started back up with no issue, but I am just wondering if anyone else has had an issue and if I should be concerned. Unfortunately my dealer can't get me in for three weeks, so the first service is being done by another shop so we can go to Cody for the May long weekend. Any information, advise etc. is much appreciated. Thanks Lori

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have an STS and it stalled several times until I put a custom muffler on it. The engines were built tight and with the cat and stock muffler on, its just too much pressure held at low rpm causing the engine to shut off. Havent shut off since.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTOM STS View Post
    I have an STS and it stalled several times until I put a custom muffler on it. The engines were built tight and with the cat and stock muffler on, its just too much pressure held at low rpm causing the engine to shut off. Havent shut off since.
    Sorry not true these engines(998) are some of the loosest on the market from the factory. They do go through a break in period during the first 500 mi. that may result in it stalling a few times. No one has been able to truly determine why but it happens. Mine did several times and after that it has never done it again. Mine is a SE5 not sure if that has something to do with it either. As I said it has been random.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    I'm guessing you have an SE5?

It's pretty normal for odd hesitations, shuddering and lurching at very low speeds during the first 2-3k miles. The transmissions take a while to smooth out and some never do.

Again, I wish it weren't so... but it is normal and common for these machines. Doesn't hurt anything unless it's extreme.
    I have a 2013 ST. It will stall when hot if the revs get too low. If I keep it running at above 1300 RPM it seems to be OK.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 sts I bought used with 650 miles. It now has 750 Mikes and has stalled 5 times. 30 seconds after stopping sometimes it stalls bit will start back up. Quite dangerous!! Hope it works itself out.

Spyder Garage

Is it possible that the idle speed is set too low??? My Spyder ('13 STS SE5) has never stalled, mine idles at 1300 RPM. I hope you all resolve the problem!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sarecco View Post
    I have a 2014 sts I bought used with 650 miles. It now has 750 Mikes and has stalled 5 times. 30 seconds after stopping sometimes it stalls bit will start back up. Quite dangerous!! Hope it works itself out.
    Ours did that when it was brand new. It was a one year left over so it sat around a while. The dealer replaced the battery and its been fine ever since.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 ST Stalls at Idle sometimes

I have had my ST Limited for 11 days and it has stalled 3 times while sitting in 1st gear. It has started back up with no issue, but I am just wondering if anyone else has had an issue and if I should be concerned. Unfortunately my dealer can't get me in for three weeks, so the first service is being done by another shop so we can go to Cody for the May long weekend. Any information, advise etc. is much appreciated. Thanks Lori
    I bought a 2015 ST last week and the dealer handed me a copy of a notice from BRP that stalling at idle and stopped may occur during the break-in period. Should restart? Well being fore warned I got a mile from the dealer at a stop light, yep it coughed and died. Hit the starter and it restarted just fine! I thank the dealer for sharing what info they had and being warned i stayed in the right lane while getting out of town. Hasn't stalled again, great machine rides very smooth compared to my old 2008 GS. Happy Rider!

Spyder Garage

Default Stalling, Mine too

Mine stalled once in the first 1.5 miles city stop and go traffic. Dealer had cautioned me that it might stall at idle and stopped during break-in. It did just the one time and a couple of other instances it felt like it was going to stall at Stop light, so slipped into Neutral and feathered the throttle a little for a few seconds. Fore warned is fore armed thanks to a sharing dealer, he showed me a TSB or notice from BRP and I was grateful for that. The fuel mapping is pretty lean so with a tight engine occasional stalling is to be expected. just ride it and it will cure itself!

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 ST L SE5 stalled

I have a 2015 ST L SE5. Always use premium fuel.
    It has 2500 kms on it. Stalled the first time today in first gear.
    (I filled up before going home and had 30 kms on that tank)
    Thought I pushed the kill switch as it just died. No.
    Pulled over, couldn't get it out of 1st gear.
    I had power as the screen was showing and radio worked.
    Just wouldn't start. I rocked it trying to get it to go into gear. Didn't work.
    After 5 - 10 minutes I managed to get it into N and start it.
    Drove a few blocks. Shut off. Started again and went home a block.
    This is the first time it died like that. Now I'm afraid it will do it on the highway.
    Temp today was about 26 C. So not overly hot.
    Pam

2020 F3 T

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.
    Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.
    Dr. Seuss

2020 F3 T - Liquid Titanium

Previously owned
    - 2015 ST L
    - 1997 Suzuki Marauder VZ 800
    2015 ST L , Denim - matte

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
    I have a 2015 ST L SE5. Always use premium fuel.
    It has 2500 kms on it. Stalled the first time today in first gear.
    (I filled up before going home and had 30 kms on that tank)
    Thought I pushed the kill switch as it just died. No.
    Pulled over, couldn't get it out of 1st gear.
    I had power as the screen was showing and radio worked.
    Just wouldn't start. I rocked it trying to get it to go into gear. Didn't work.
    After 5 - 10 minutes I managed to get it into N and start it.
    Drove a few blocks. Shut off. Started again and went home a block.
    This is the first time it died like that. Now I'm afraid it will do it on the highway.
    Temp today was about 26 C. So not overly hot.
    You can start it in 1st gear if your foot is on the brake. Check your battery connections. They will work loose if a star washer isn't on them. When all else fails pull the key out and wait 10 - 15 minutes.

2014 Spyder ST Limited - Black Currant

"Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it"