Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default This is interesting

I find these posts interesting. Last year I bought a 2012 RSS new. I had no starting or stalling issues ever. 2020 miles i put on that bike. This year I bought an ST Limited. No stalling issues and i have 697 miles on it. However if the bike is cold it will stall sometimes on the start. It never happens after the bike is warm. So in my opinion I think some of this computer has to learn and stuff may not be as big of issue but more so it the type of fuel you use. The owners manuel will tell you that you can run 89 oct. in the Spyder. I was told to run 91 and i do. I think the type of fuel you run is a factor. I just thought i would throw this out there.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

This appears to be more of a problem with the SE5 rather than the SM5 mine a 2012 RSS SM5 has never stalled and having the cable throttle helps.
    TBW seems to be an issue also especially on the 2013 modles as ive heard of them being verry touchy i hope these new spyders make their new owners verry happy so they will love to ryde.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Cool Fuel grade not it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMouse22 View Post
    I find these posts interesting. Last year I bought a 2012 RSS new. I had no starting or stalling issues ever. 2020 miles i put on that bike. This year I bought an ST Limited. No stalling issues and i have 697 miles on it. However if the bike is cold it will stall sometimes on the start. It never happens after the bike is warm. So in my opinion I think some of this computer has to learn and stuff may not be as big of issue but more so it the type of fuel you use. The owners manuel will tell you that you can run 89 oct. in the Spyder. I was told to run 91 and i do. I think the type of fuel you run is a factor. I just thought i would throw this out there.
    Fuel grade isn't the problem. My ST Limited has never had anything but Premium Grade of major brand (Mobil, Shell, Exxon) which in Florida is 92 octane. Wish it was that simple.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jharpo View Post
    Fuel grade isn't the problem. My ST Limited has never had anything but Premium Grade of major brand (Mobil, Shell, Exxon) which in Florida is 92 octane. Wish it was that simple.

Well i guess i got lucky with my 2 Spyders then or my computer learened what it needed to know real fast. I think any machine stalling out in first gear is a real problem and I hope to read more on this issue. Just because i dont have it now doesnt mean I wont have it tomorrow. I use Sunoco 91

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Interesting I came across this thread tonight.

I finally had a chance to take out my new ST-L for a short ride. I brought it home from the dealer over a week ago - parked it in the garage due to weather and other issues.

Today - I neared the end of our street and slowed down a bit before stopping. I think I was in 2nd gear when I noticed it had "died. Stalled!
    I was hesitant to take it on my errand - but, it started back up fine. So, off I went.

I'm hoping it is not an issue and is only because it's new and had been sitting. No idea what type gas the dealer put in - haven't run that out yet.

Never had this happen on my '09 SE5.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We took delivery of our 2013 Spyder ST last week and have had multiple stalls at stop signs in our neighborhood and in our driveway. I am glad that we were in a controlled environment and not out in town or else I might have panicked. We have over 100 miles on the Spyder and we have not had a stall for some time. Glad I found this forum & thread as I feel much better now if it happens again.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jharpo View Post
    My new ST has never stalled but it misses like crazy if you take off slowly or drive really slowly like around a busy parking lot. Dealer could find no problem. I have almost 800 miles on it now. Hope it outgrows this problem. Until then, I'll just have to ryde FAST!
    I had the EXACT same problem. During the 600mile service i asked the tech to check into it and i was told there was air in the system. they bled the system and no more missing at low idle. A poster mentioned on the post i did on this problem that it is a known issue and a bulletin had been issued. I cannot recall who posted the info, but perhaps another member does.

Spyder Garage

:confused: how could you have air in fuel system? Maybe in brake line but not in constant flowing fuel system. Or am I missing something that is on a spyder that I have never heard of before.

Sent from my Galaxy S3. I may have made a spelling error or may have some grammer issues. My fingers are way to big to type on this tiny screen!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Stalling

Quote Originally Posted by Rock'nSTLtd View Post
    I have had my ST Limited for 11 days and it has stalled 3 times while sitting in 1st gear. It has started back up with no issue, but I am just wondering if anyone else has had an issue and if I should be concerned. Unfortunately my dealer can't get me in for three weeks, so the first service is being done by another shop so we can go to Cody for the May long weekend. Any information, advise etc. is much appreciated. Thanks Lori
    I have my ST for two month now it did the same the first 200 miles, now at 3255 miles is doing great and is not stalling anymore, but if I leave it outside the garage when is hot oh boy the CHECK ENGINE goes off immediately, but hang in there the stalling will go away.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Mine has stalled several times too and I asked the tech about it and he said that the new motors were "tight" and it should get better as you put more miles on it. I must say mine seems to be cured at 3000 miles.
    +1
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Just a thought! With all of the heat problems on the '13s, could there possibly be a "vapor lock" problem? Back in the day, I don't remember what vehicle it was, we clipped a wooden clothes pin on the gas line between the fuel pump and carburetor. That solved the "vapor lock" problem. It may sound like "Voodoo" or an "old wifes tale", but it worked!

Spyder Garage

mine would stall in a air conditioned garage when it was new. i could back it out and start it and it would die while idling . it hasn't died since it turned a few hundred miles...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rabtech View Post
    :confused: how could you have air in fuel system? Maybe in brake line but not in constant flowing fuel system. Or am I missing something that is on a spyder that I have never heard of before.

Sent from my Galaxy S3. I may have made a spelling error or may have some grammer issues. My fingers are way to big to type on this tiny screen!
    You will have to pose that question to the mechanics at Elk Grove Powersports. I cannot attest to the accuracy of the statement, but I can definitely attest to the outcome. The mechanic did not specify the "fuel system" but rather said "the system". Once I had test driven the bike and was more than pleased, I did not question further as I had the results I sought.

Unfortunately, I am still in the formative stages of my Can Am mechanical knowledge as my bike (first one owned) is brand new & under warranty, thus I have not had occasion to crack open the tupperware myself to do any maintenance/modding. At this point, the only one to have seen under my Nikki's "skirt" is Forrest at Elk Grove Autosports. I am sure this will change as time goes on

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmm

Mine stalled once but then I realized I hit the Kill Switch - Duh!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My new ST L stalled quite often, almost every time I went somewhere it cut out and I had to quickly start it up again. When I took it into the dealer for the 600 mile service I told him about it and they must've done something because it's no longer stalling. So if you have any questions call Elk Grove Powersports in Elk Grove California.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Took delivery of our 2013 STS yesterday and on the way home (50+ kms from dealership), the engine stumbled a couple of times as I was slowing down.

It didn't stall as I was able to blip the throttle a bit in time to prevent it from stalling out. Hope this will correct itself as the bike learns as we go along. Other than that the bike worked perfectly.

Even during the rush hour traffic, the engine temp never overheated (max indication was 3/5 mark) and no excessive heat on the sides of the bike.

Also the dealer was able to complete the recall just prior to delivery. Had to wait for it for a couple more hours, but it was certainly worth the wait to insure no "meltdowns".

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 rt limited stalling

Mine has stalled from day one and it now has 11,000 miles. It stalls on days when i have ridden a few miles and the temp. gauge is over half way. It finally did it with the dealer when i took it in for a oil change. They didn't have a clue. I have learned when at stop lights to just keep the rpm's up to 1400 and it will not stall. I believe it is a problem with the fuel mixture at higher temp. and the computer is giving the wrong signal

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It seems that some of the 2013 ST and RT have had stalling problems that could be associated with a break in period. But for some the problems is much larger than break in. Mine for one had a bad purge valve and it wouldn't idle properly and would stall.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krazykat View Post
    New 2013 RT LTD stalled 3 times during first 500 miles and hasn't stalled again in the following 1500 miles.....getting better all the time (except gas mileage)........
    on the gas mileage too 25 is the best I get and most of the roads around here are 45mph or better.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Here's one more data point.

2013 RT SE5 which just turned over 300 miles this morning. I use premium fuel exclusively and always fill up at our local Costco.

The bike has stalled 5 times now. 4 times when starting out cold and still in first gear. Today it stalled in Reverse with a fully warm engine.

I've had several motorcycles with fuel injection and none of them ever stalled.

Regards,

Dan
    2013 RT SE5 in dark grey

Seal floorboards

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Mine has never stalled....I put 700 miles on it the 1st 2 days and had my 600 mile service then road it home 750 miles...now have 3500 and it has never stalled...is it SE or MS
    notice in early May with 3500 miles I was not having problems.....and then I took off by myself to go to Owners Event then north to Pete powersports wrap and home about 3700 miles.....this is when all the problems started...but to keep with original post...my bike has never stalled until 10,000 miles....it's not that it stalls but rather after riding a couple hundred miles the rpms will race from 1000 to 2000...it feels like it's going to stall or surge forward....took a video of the dash and plan to send it to BRP

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have 10500 on my STS, I stalled more often when the bike was newer in the 4000 mile range and more often when I would start and go on my way without a warm up.

I started to let the engine and temp get up some before I go now and have not had a stall in a long time. It is hard to nail down the cause.

I did notice when very low on fuel idle rpms would dip below 1200 at times and feel like it wants to stall, fill up on gas and the rpms returns to 1300-1400 and all seems well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My New 2013 LTD stalls at least once a day but it was stalling at least twice a day before so I guess it's getting better It's just the new wearing off is what I'm told, they say it gets better with age just like me !

Spyder Garage

I live at 1100 feet above sea level. I noticed mine stalling only ocasionally when it was warming up. Nothing i couldnt live with. I carried mine to panama city beach and it died a lot when ideling around. Probably somewhere around 10 times a day. I am back home now and I just rode it all day yesterday (around 300 miles) and it never stalled. Kinda sounds like its not making the correct air/fuel adjustments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Our 2012 rt limited se5 was stalling at stop lights and signs because somehow the front spark plug came lose, so I purchashed a set of plugs and plug wires from BahaRon and the problem cleared right up. Ron was very very helpful with our problem.