Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Rock'nSTLtd's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question New ST Limited Stalling

I have had my ST Limited for 11 days and it has stalled 3 times while sitting in 1st gear. It has started back up with no issue, but I am just wondering if anyone else has had an issue and if I should be concerned. Unfortunately my dealer can't get me in for three weeks, so the first service is being done by another shop so we can go to Cody for the May long weekend. Any information, advise etc. is much appreciated. Thanks Lori

Spyder Garage

Mine stalled a dozen times in the first hundred miles as well. It's not unusual while it's learning and breaking in.

I would expect it to clear up by the time your first service is due tho. Mention it during your service and they should be able to find something. I doubt it's anything major.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine has never stalled....I put 700 miles on it the 1st 2 days and had my 600 mile service then road it home 750 miles...now have 3500 and it has never stalled...is it SE or MS

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Mine has stalled several times too and I asked the tech about it and he said that the new motors were "tight" and it should get better as you put more miles on it. I must say mine seems to be cured at 3000 miles.

Spyder Garage

Mine did it 3 times in the first 100 miles. I'm 2,700 or so miles in and it's never done it again.
    <knock wood>
    Current Spyder
    2015 Magnesium Metallic F3-S SE6

• Gauge Spoiler - Pegs @ #5 - Long Reach Bars - Detachable Passenger Backrest - Cross Country Saddlebags - Power Commander V - Power Commander Auto-Tune - Power Commander POD-300 - Two Bros S1R Exhaust w/Black P1X tip - Two Up Shock - Detachable Driver Backrest - Spyclops LED - LED Headlights - Route 129 Windshield

Retired Spyder
    2013 Magnesium Metallic ST-S SE5 5,467 Miles

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Mine has stalled several times too and I asked the tech about it and he said that the new motors were "tight" and it should get better as you put more miles on it. I must say mine seems to be cured at 3000 miles.
    Is that advice limited to the ST?

I ask because my *2010 RS* did the same thing the first few months I had it, stalled twice inexplicably. Hasn't happened in 10,000 miles since.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    +1
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default SE

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Mine has never stalled....I put 700 miles on it the 1st 2 days and had my 600 mile service then road it home 750 miles...now have 3500 and it has never stalled...is it SE or MS
    Hi, It is an SE. It sounds like you may have gotten lucky

Spyder Garage

Default Stalling

New 2013 RT LTD stalled 3 times during first 500 miles and hasn't stalled again in the following 1500 miles.....getting better all the time (except gas mileage)........

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krazykat View Post
    New 2013 RT LTD stalled 3 times during first 500 miles and hasn't stalled again in the following 1500 miles.....getting better all the time (except gas mileage)........
    on the gas mileage too 25 is the best I get and most of the roads around here are 45mph or better.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for your responses. Glad to hear that it should go away because otherwise it seems to be running fine so I will keep an eye on it and mention it to the tech when I take it in.

Spyder Garage

Default Looks like..!!

folks got you covered. Just a few hicups that will go away with time...enjoy..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    notice in early May with 3500 miles I was not having problems.....and then I took off by myself to go to Owners Event then north to Pete powersports wrap and home about 3700 miles.....this is when all the problems started...but to keep with original post...my bike has never stalled until 10,000 miles....it's not that it stalls but rather after riding a couple hundred miles the rpms will race from 1000 to 2000...it feels like it's going to stall or surge forward....took a video of the dash and plan to send it to BRP

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default Re: New ST Limited Stalling

My 2012 RTS SE5 stalled once shortly after a fuel fillup....may have been the fuel, 1,000 miles later it hasn't occurred again.

Sent from Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

Interesting information.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

:confused: how could you have air in fuel system? Maybe in brake line but not in constant flowing fuel system. Or am I missing something that is on a spyder that I have never heard of before.

Sent from my Galaxy S3. I may have made a spelling error or may have some grammer issues. My fingers are way to big to type on this tiny screen!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rabtech View Post
    :confused: how could you have air in fuel system? Maybe in brake line but not in constant flowing fuel system. Or am I missing something that is on a spyder that I have never heard of before.

Sent from my Galaxy S3. I may have made a spelling error or may have some grammer issues. My fingers are way to big to type on this tiny screen!
    You will have to pose that question to the mechanics at Elk Grove Powersports. I cannot attest to the accuracy of the statement, but I can definitely attest to the outcome. The mechanic did not specify the "fuel system" but rather said "the system". Once I had test driven the bike and was more than pleased, I did not question further as I had the results I sought.

Unfortunately, I am still in the formative stages of my Can Am mechanical knowledge as my bike (first one owned) is brand new & under warranty, thus I have not had occasion to crack open the tupperware myself to do any maintenance/modding. At this point, the only one to have seen under my Nikki's "skirt" is Forrest at Elk Grove Autosports. I am sure this will change as time goes on

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Stalling

Quote Originally Posted by Rock'nSTLtd View Post
    I have had my ST Limited for 11 days and it has stalled 3 times while sitting in 1st gear. It has started back up with no issue, but I am just wondering if anyone else has had an issue and if I should be concerned. Unfortunately my dealer can't get me in for three weeks, so the first service is being done by another shop so we can go to Cody for the May long weekend. Any information, advise etc. is much appreciated. Thanks Lori
    I have my ST for two month now it did the same the first 200 miles, now at 3255 miles is doing great and is not stalling anymore, but if I leave it outside the garage when is hot oh boy the CHECK ENGINE goes off immediately, but hang in there the stalling will go away.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Just a thought! With all of the heat problems on the '13s, could there possibly be a "vapor lock" problem? Back in the day, I don't remember what vehicle it was, we clipped a wooden clothes pin on the gas line between the fuel pump and carburetor. That solved the "vapor lock" problem. It may sound like "Voodoo" or an "old wifes tale", but it worked!

Spyder Garage

mine would stall in a air conditioned garage when it was new. i could back it out and start it and it would die while idling . it hasn't died since it turned a few hundred miles...

Spyder Garage

Is it possible that the idle speed is set too low??? My Spyder ('13 STS SE5) has never stalled, mine idles at 1300 RPM. I hope you all resolve the problem!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My new ST L stalled quite often, almost every time I went somewhere it cut out and I had to quickly start it up again. When I took it into the dealer for the 600 mile service I told him about it and they must've done something because it's no longer stalling. So if you have any questions call Elk Grove Powersports in Elk Grove California.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Took delivery of our 2013 STS yesterday and on the way home (50+ kms from dealership), the engine stumbled a couple of times as I was slowing down.

It didn't stall as I was able to blip the throttle a bit in time to prevent it from stalling out. Hope this will correct itself as the bike learns as we go along. Other than that the bike worked perfectly.

Even during the rush hour traffic, the engine temp never overheated (max indication was 3/5 mark) and no excessive heat on the sides of the bike.

Also the dealer was able to complete the recall just prior to delivery. Had to wait for it for a couple more hours, but it was certainly worth the wait to insure no "meltdowns".

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have 10500 on my STS, I stalled more often when the bike was newer in the 4000 mile range and more often when I would start and go on my way without a warm up.

I started to let the engine and temp get up some before I go now and have not had a stall in a long time. It is hard to nail down the cause.

I did notice when very low on fuel idle rpms would dip below 1200 at times and feel like it wants to stall, fill up on gas and the rpms returns to 1300-1400 and all seems well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My New 2013 LTD stalls at least once a day but it was stalling at least twice a day before so I guess it's getting better It's just the new wearing off is what I'm told, they say it gets better with age just like me !