Spyder Garage

Default What to wear in the summer heat

We are heading out this week to the Owners event in Maggie Valley and would like to know what riding gear do y'all wear that gives protection to the rider but at least lets you stay cool in these hot summer days. I do want it to be day-glo so we can be seen at night and day but we dont want to overheat and sweat like crazy when you have to stop, I want to have long sleves for protection but just can't find the right cool jackets. Searched on the net but without actually seeing the jacket and material its just a waste of my time. So please anyone who can recommend what they have and why its cool please respond as I need to purchase or go and pick it up before we leave, thanks.
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    We are heading out this week to the Owners event in Maggie Valley and would like to know what riding gear do y'all wear that gives protection to the rider but at least lets you stay cool in these hot summer days. I do want it to be day-glo so we can be seen at night and day but we dont want to overheat and sweat like crazy when you have to stop, I want to have long sleves for protection but just can't find the right cool jackets. Searched on the net but without actually seeing the jacket and material its just a waste of my time. So please anyone who can recommend what they have and why its cool please respond as I need to purchase or go and pick it up before we leave, thanks.
    If you get a mesh jacket, you may want to invest in a cooling vest also. They work pretty good, unless it's real high humidity.

Spyder Garage

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Check out Motorcyclegear.com
    They have some Mesh Tex jackets in day glo / hi viz by Firstgear for about $115 in their close out section. Really nice for summer riding.
    2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest

Spyder Garage

Default Check out RevZilla.com

They have a huge selection and videos on many
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mesh; it's even cooler than riding nekkid because it keeps the sun off of you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have found that Under Armor Heat gear shirts are great for hot wear. Can be found on www.cabelas.com Long & short sleeve with uv protectants
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I recently ordered a mesh jacket from LeatherUp.com. Wore it on a ride yesterday for the first time. The bike registered a temp of 95 and I felt fine as long as I was moving. Wore it for about 2.5 hours. The mesh is much cooler than that hot, Georgia bearing down on you. I am very happy with the purchase. The brand is Xelement at a cost of $59.95 plus tax and shipping. Good luck with your search.

Spyder Garage

Default Maggie Valley Ridet

Left Las Vegas for the Valley late last week. I am wearing joe rocket mesh jacket and pants. Working great in Las Vegas, Arizona, Colorado, Kansas and Tennessee weather. Stuff is comfortable to wear all day long. Like the armor protection. I wear large and bought large. It is ok, slightly small but not enough to send back. Bought from Revzilla and service was quick and accurate. Will test cloths on TAil of the Dragon on Wednesday.

Spyder Garage

Cool Maggie Valley Trip

Left Las Vegas last Thursday for Maggie Valley with wife and two Spyder RTs. Have planned no moe than 350 miles a day. We are avoiding freeways at all costs to enjoy side and back roads through NV, AZ, corner of NM, KS, MO, TN, KY, and NC. About 1700 miles one way.
    going back up through MI to WI and will stay on Madeline Island in the Apostle Island chain until October.

query: saw dozens of turtles crossing the highways in Kansas. All going across the road from right to left. Saw only an old snapping turtle crossing from left to right. Couldn't figure out why they were only going right to left. Do turtles get burned toes or tummies on the hot asphalt?

we are going to do the tail of the dragon Wednesday morning from the Maryville side. Other Spyders welcome to join us. Will leave Maryville motel around 9:00 am.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sliders Kevlar Mesh Jacket

I just got a nice "Sliders Carmel Mesh Jacket" - comes from competitionaccessories.com
    they have a ton of nice jackets-the one I got has a removable liner - which will be nice when its colder.
    I wore my jacket on a 90 degree day and it still kept me pretty cool-especially on the highway....I paid $149.99
    and I did a LOT of research and hunting for the right jacket- there is actually a video showing the jacket on their web site.
    CHECK it OUT! Happy Riding !

Spyder Garage

veskimo.com
    2009 Spyder RS (non operational)
    2022 Spyder RT Limited
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone that replied to my post I do appreciate your input I have spent a lot of time looking at different websites and Jackets and have decided what to purchase just left it a bit late to get them to me even with 2 day shipping as the vendor said they would arrive on Thursday and we leave Thursday AM so can't take the chance of the jackets arriving after we leave (murpheys law ...they will arrive just after) ...anyway THANKS for the help.
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

query: saw dozens of turtles crossing the highways in Kansas. All going across the road from right to left. Saw only an old snapping turtle crossing from left to right. Couldn't figure out why they were only going right to left. Do turtles get burned toes or tummies on the hot asphalt?
    You were head East, correct? That means they were going South to North, towards cooler temps. The snapping turtle is too tough give a crap.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well it sounds like you're speaking from experience. And with that vision rolling around in my head..... wait for it..... wait for it.....oh , much better.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Returned from a weekend trip where we rode in high 90's temperatures. With mesh gear and a cooling vest we were comfortable. The only heat was from the radiator blowing out the swoop at my right foot.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Mesh

I wear mesh gear jackets and pants. Under Armour heat gear t-shirt, and shorts under the pants or sometimes on a real hot day jus boxers, but you have to remember that if you are going to peel the pants off in public.

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone that replied to my post I do appreciate your input I have spent a lot of time looking at different websites and Jackets and have decided what to purchase just left it a bit late to get them to me even with 2 day shipping as the vendor said they would arrive on Thursday and we leave Thursday AM so can't take the chance of the jackets arriving after we leave (murpheys law ...they will arrive just after) ...anyway THANKS for the help.
    Stop in at ant decent motorcycle shop along the way. Most should carry mesh gear. For a real good selection I'd recommend a shop that caters to BMW, Goldwing, or other touring models. The Harley gear is even good if you like black and orange.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!