Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default F1 Windshield mounting bolts...

Questions, questions....

I received my F1 windshield and it came with a note suggesting longer bolts and larger (bolts/washers).

Has anyone here used longer bolts? If so, how much longer? Can you tell me the metric size of the bolts?

Somebody on here mentioned fender washers before...are those hardware store or car part store items?

Appreciate any insights...I'd call Marcel, but I wouldn't want to disturb his holiday weekend...and I'm hoping to get it mounted this weekend, lol.

Thanks,
    Steve

Spyder Garage

Default Re: F1 Windshield mounting bolts...

That part about the longer bolts is a mistake. We called Marcel about the same thing and he told us to forget about it, it does not need longer bolts. He said he didn't remember what he was thinking when he wrote that. ;D We did go to the hardware store and buy 4 rubber washers that are about 3/4ths of an inch across and 4 stainless steel fender washers. Now I'm not entirely sure why they are called fender washers but I define a fender washer as a larger flat washer with a smaller hole in it. A 1/4 inch fender washer has a hole for a 1/4 inch bolt but it's diameter is about the size of a 3/4 inch flat washer. Just for your information, the BRP windshield screw is 6mm.

Here's a picture of the stuff we used. The Screw is sitting on a stainless steel fender washer (we painted it black) and the rubber washer is to the right of that.

Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt
    That part about the longer bolts is a mistake. We called Marcel about the same thing and he told us to forget about it, it does not need longer bolts. He said he didn't remember what he was thinking when he wrote that. ;D We did go to the hardware store and buy 4 rubber washers that are about 3/4ths of an inch across and 4 stainless steel fender washers. Now I'm not entirely sure why they are called fender washers but I define a fender washer as a larger flat washer with a smaller hole in it. A 1/4 inch fender washer has a hole for a 1/4 inch bolt but it's diameter is about the size of a 3/4 inch flat washer. Just for your information, the BRP windshield screw is 6mm.

Here's a picture of the stuff we used. The Screw is sitting on a stainless steel fender washer (we painted it black) and the rubber washer is to the right of that.

Thanks, bjt.

I mounted the F1 with the OEM screws, and I couldn't understand either why Marcel wanted langer ones.

Then I thought I remembered a v e r y early post where someone mounted a new shield directly over the stock shield, something was stated about helping suport the tall shield and reducing the torque...

Anyhow, it's good you followed up on this for all of us. :bigthumbsup:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt

Excellent! Thanks bjt!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips.