Spyder Garage

Default NEED HELP! ST-S IS SICK!!

Installed belt tensioner on ST-S Friday night. Raised rear wheel off ground and started Spyder. Put it in first gear and gave it a little throttle to check how the tensioner was working. WRONG! Display went orange and I read VSS, ABS, EBD faults, and even Limp Mode! It wouldn't have surprised me if the word "Idiot" had flashed on the screen. Lowered wheel, took out key and walked away for about an hour. Went back out and tried again. Same codes. Bike will start and runs well, just getting the codes. Called dealer Saturday morning. He suggested riding the Spyder for 10 or 15 miles and the codes may go away. I don't feel comfortable doing that just in case I get stuck somewhere and the Spyder won't go. Only alternative is to trailer to dealer if I can't get the codes to go away. So far, I have had 2,300 trouble-free miles. Darn!! Any ideas would be appreciated.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Riding it is the best idea. If you are worried about getting stuck somewhere, stay close to your home. Make a short loop repeatedly if needed. You know why the codes popped up, there should not be anything physically wrong with the bike. Best of luck.
    2013 ST S
    Stock for now

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just ride it, the codes will become history codes once the systems have good data. For now all they know is they sensed the rear moving without the front and until that data is replaced those codes stay current.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    Just ride it, the codes will become history codes once the systems have good data. For now all they know is they sensed the rear moving without the front and until that data is replaced those codes stay current.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    It wouldn't have surprised me if the word "Idiot" had flashed on the screen. .
    Sorry to hear of your troubles but I did get a good laugh out of this.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    the computer on these machines can be a pain sometimes. I had a limp home and another code (don't remember what it was) when I got gas one time. After pulling over to the side, took key out, waited ten extremely loooong minutes, I rode it home with no trouble. My mechanic checked the history, and told me it got hot, and I was okay after the shut down/ re-start, as the fan came on. When you do the ride try to make the ride as normal as you can by going up to the speed limit and down. Do not want to ride around for 10 miles going 5 MPH
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Default rear tightener

One of the reason I chose a Spyder was because im Not mechanically inclined..i know a left handed nail from a right onebut as far as my trike i leave adjustments to the dealer..rather pay now than pay later

Spyder Garage

Default Should go away..!!

you have upset the gods.... Now you must make a sacrifice to calm them down..20 laps around the lake... Good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Did you ride out the codes ,

Did the codes go away and how bout that belt tensioner does it really work !

Spyder Garage

Default CODES

I haven't been able to ride since codes appeared. It has been raining here for days. Will try tomorrow if it's not raining.

Spyder Garage

I would ride it for a bit, the codes should disappear after the computer figures out the wheels are all turning the same speed. I could run my GS in 3rd gear jacked up without throwing codes, the ST not so.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    I would ride it for a bit, the codes should disappear after the computer figures out the wheels are all turning the same speed. I could run my GS in 3rd gear jacked up without throwing codes, the ST not so.
    before I knew better I ran My RT S ,with the rear wheel off the ground, while adjusting the belt alignment. It worked fine, running in 2nd gear, didn't get any codes I was one of the lucky ones. Anyway, it should have thrown a bunch of codes but didn't. I have since adjusted it simply by having the wheel off the ground and turning it by hand, taking only 1/4 turns at a time and rechecking. Tighten the axel nut and go for a short ride then stop and look at it. sometimes it takes a few adjustments to get it right. It may change a little when the nut is tightened.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

The sensor on the rear wheel is telling the ECU the bike is in motion but both front sensors are showing no motion. You're confusing the poor thing.

Spyder Garage

Default THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

Finally was able to ride the Spyder this afternoon after work and avoid the rain showers. All the codes disappeared before I got out of my driveway. Rode about 5 miles and went thru 1st thru 4th gear to check everything out. My thanks to GreenRSS, mjw930, Blue Star, NancysToy, and Chupaca. You guys were right. I just had to ride it to get the codes to clear up. And SpyderAnn, your comment made me smile!! This forum is great for helping out fellow Spyder riders!! This probably won't be the last time I do something stupid again, but lesson well learned!! By the way, I haven't ridden enough to see if the belt tensioner has made a difference, but everyone says it will.