Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Question...

Just stepped way up to an RTL from our CanAm ATVs. My wife and I are used to closed face helmets with goggles for off roading and was wondering what helmets are popular with RT riders. I have my eye on the Bell Mag 9 with Sena. Any comments pro and con on full face vs. half face and Sena replies welcome. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I've got a 3/4 Fulton with the face shield. I really like the retractable visor. I got the Sena SMH-10 about 6 weeks go and really like them. I got them from Dave's, who is a sponsor here on SpyderLovers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use a modular design helmet; I wear eyeglasses, and it makes it much easier!
    Unfortunately; since I'm such a klutz, I stick with cheaper pots that I won't feel bad over dropping and scratching...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My wife and I both have Nolan N103 modulars, which we really like. But the most important thing is to get something that fits your head properly. Try the fit in person. It's not just the size, but the shape. Some helmets won't fit certain skulls regardless of size.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

I prefer modular. I have a Shark that I wear as full face most of the time. At the same the design allows me to use as a 3/4 without looking "??????"HPIM0725.jpgHPIM0724.jpg
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

We started with a Scorpion EXO-900 modular (unfortunately in black) equipped with the old Cardo TeamSet Pro. The only time the chin guard was up was when we put our helmets on. The chin guard was never off. I prefer to keep my face in the event of a face plant! The release on mine, being plastic, broke into three pieces. Good thing I didn't already have it on. Scorpion replaced the assembly.

We now have the Shoei GT-Air in white (what an improvement in the summer sun) equipped with the Sena SMH10R. Talk about air flow. When the top vent is open you know it. Not so much with the Scorpion. Don't miss the modular aspects. The Shoei is much more comfortable than the Scorpion, IMHO.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We just got the Bell Mag-9 Sena helmets from Revzilla.com. The fit is great. Getting the Sena SMH-10 headsets installed was a snap. Finally going to get a chance to try them out on the road. Good Luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a Scorpion EXO-900 modular that I use the most. I've used it in the 3/4 configuration, but the face shield can't be used then (though the sun shade can). I also have a cheapo half-helmet for local ryding in the hottest time of year.

If I was doing it over, I'd get a quality 3/4 helmet, like Nolan.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

The wife and I have a pair of Bell Revolver EVO modular helmets and we love them. Mine has a video camera and a Sena on it, the wife just has a Sena.
    More info and pics here: http://jerryandcynthia.com/bell_revolver_evo_helmet.php

2012 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Pure Magnesium
    www.JerryandCynthia.com - Our Riding Adventures

Spyder Garage

Due to head shape, more round than oval, I have only found Shoei and Speed and Strength able to fit my head. Lol

And I only wear full face.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We use full face, but find them very hot on the warm days, as well they both don't fit in the frunk as two 3/4 will. They are awfully nice in early spring and late fall though! We will probably buy some for summer use!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Thanks to all, keep 'em coming!

Spyder Garage

Default HJC's modulars here..!!

we both use these helmets with the scala G9's. Like to be able to open the helmet while slow driving in town but the security of the closed face on the open road. Can't compare the sena's for we have never tried them..good luck choosing. Best is go to big bike dealer who carries large assortment of helmets and try them. Then buy wherever you get the best deal..!!
    Last edited by Chupaca; 05-05-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Even though our N103s are set up for Nolan's N-Com integral communicators, we went with a pair of Scala Riders instead, based on the reviews (G4s -- the G9 wasn't out yet). They can get flaky every once in a while, but overall they are very impressive. We are very pleased with them.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

I am very partial to Arai. The real answer is to buy one that fits!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Talking

Another Aria fan. If they have a model that fits your head shape.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I am very partial to Arai. The real answer is to buy one that fits!
    Amen...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default helmet

I have a brp with a face shield black way to hot in the summer and now got a bell "brain bucket' picked up a pair of safety glasses for nite riding for my flying friends who get over the wind screen..the mrs also got a new helmet pink with a white race stripe...my brain bucket is hanging from the handle bar
    resize 390.jpg

Spyder Garage

Full face are the best for safety reasons--though not always the most comfortable. I am a Nolan proponent. We have a couple full face and a couple of the N-43's with the removable chin bars. As others mentioned--a good fit is very important.

For communicators, I believe that Sena is a good choice. I transferred over to Sena from Cardo and now prefer the Sena. Much quieter, longer range than the Cardo 2's I was using. They now have Cardo 4 and Cardo 9--with range advertised (straight line) as up to a mile. The Sena are also less expensive (if you shop around a bit). The Sena install very nicely on the Nolan.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Cool Bell G9 Sena

Quote Originally Posted by chipshotin View Post
    I have a brp with a face shield black way to hot in the summer and now got a bell "brain bucket' picked up a pair of safety glasses for nite riding for my flying friends who get over the wind screen..the mrs also got a new helmet pink with a white race stripe...my brain bucket is hanging from the handle bar
    resize 390.jpg
    We have the Bell G9 Senas and love them. Sena doesn't stick out so far and the speakers have little pockets . If you try them on at a dealer, make certain it's the 2013 G9 Sena and not an older G9. The cheek pads are totally different!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Shoei full face. I like the chin protection and my CB and XM are clear with little wind noise.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

I have two HJC helmet's. Both are full face and one of which is a modular type. For safety reasons, I would not wear a half helment. At least not on the highway and at this point in my life I have not been so brave enough to ride in town with one either.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Three Quarter

Quote Originally Posted by Indyron View Post
    Thanks to all, keep 'em coming!
    My wife & i found that the HJC three quarter (Is-33) with flip- up face shield &
    integrated sunshield to work & fit well, so far. Fitted With the Sena SMH5-FM
    bluetooth headset & intercom with built in fm tuner. We find no need for our,
    full face,or half helmets anymore. Great look & feel for the Spyder Ryder.
    Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Suomy, Scorpion, AGV, HJC, Shoei... all full faced. Recently I used my Fly Racing ADV helmet (kind of looks like a dirt helmet)... shoulda seen the double takes.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Just wear a helmet, period