Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Newest mod to help with heat

I haven't seen this one posted on here yet. I trie out a new mod with my 2009 RS to try to help with the heat issue as well as the exhaust smell I get from my touring windshield an wind deflectors. I noticed on the 2013 ST it had a heat shield between the left and right side panels and the body which is currently open on the RS. You get a lot of heat coming up through these openings at your body, legs, and face. I decided to try and fit these to my bike so I ordered the 3 parts from the can an store. Around $90 for the set. The fit really well. I had to do a slight cut on the top of the inner plastic on the side with the fan since the shroud covering the fan is deeper on the newer model. Rose 350 miles today and it did great! Eliminates the heat coming up at you and forces more out of the side eliminating the heat at your foot also. Did mot affect the running temperature of the bike at all. Here is a few pictures after the install. What do y'all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great idea! Please keep us all informed as to how this continues to work as Summer grows nearer...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Glad they are working for you. The roasted right ankle is one part of the 2012 that I don't miss.
    2013 ST S
    Stock for now

Spyder Garage

Default Cooling mod..!!

I installed "Spyderpops" cooling system and solved most of the heat problems. Bike runs cooler and heat is off of me. Your mod may help even more..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Are the panels still easy to remove and put back on with those in place? Definitely let us know how it works when it gets much hotter out, as I may do the same thing to my wife's Spyder if it works well. Thanks for sharing.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Awesome Job.... And Looks like it was supposed to be like that from the factory!

2013 ST-S SE-5 ("Quick Silver") Is her Name
    My Mods:

I Have Added the AM/FM Stereo and an Ultimate Seat, with Ryder Backrest, Power Sports wraps." Break Strips" Kit, GloRyders with the Spyder Cap, Fox Racing Shock and Anti- Sway Bar Kit, Spyder Pops Bump Skid, Spyderlighter's LED Running Light Kit With Fender lights. Cal Si Shorty Smoked Windshield, The 2014 Side Panels, Lamonsters Cat Delete, And an Akrapovic Sport Touring Exhaust.

Spyder Garage

Panels still remove like normal. Funny thing is there's only one bolt hole that's not on the older spyders that is needed to mount and its not actually needed. Right side is simply removing the old shroud that's bolted into the side panel that forces air from the radiator out the side opening and bolting the new one in. The other side just snaps over the oil reservoir and bolts to the existing hole that sticks out from the side of the oil reservoir. Here is a picture of the oil side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

I don't really know what a heat problem is? I live in AZ and during the summer we get up to 120 and have felt no bike related problems. So what am I missing??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRx View Post
    Panels still remove like normal. Funny thing is there's only one bolt hole that's not on the older spyders that is needed to mount and its not actually needed. Right side is simply removing the old shroud that's bolted into the side panel that forces air from the radiator out the side opening and bolting the new one in. The other side just snaps over the oil reservoir and bolts to the existing hole that sticks out from the side of the oil reservoir. Here is a picture of the oil side.
    Did you get this as a kit, or each piece separately? Do you have the P/N handy.
    david

Spyder Garage

3 separate pieces.
    P# 705005462. $9.99
    705006531. $39.99
    705006981. $39.99

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Did you get this as a kit, or each piece separately? Do you have the P/N handy.
    david

Spyder Garage

3 separate pieces.
    P# 705005462. $9.99
    705006531. $39.99
    705006981. $39.99
    Thanks.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    I don't really know what a heat problem is? I live in AZ and during the summer we get up to 120 and have felt no bike related problems. So what am I missing??
    Feeling in your legs?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Harvey Clark and I were discussing this a few weeks back. My wife has issues on the LEFT side heat, and I wrapped the exhaust tubing that is shown there, but she still says there is heat, especially on hot days. I ordered part 705006981 for that (now she wants the right side 705006531 to make it look even ) My question is, what is 705005462? I can't find it on the parts catalog... Thanks!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Harvey Clark and I were discussing this a few weeks back. My wife has issues on the LEFT side heat, and I wrapped the exhaust tubing that is shown there, but she still says there is heat, especially on hot days. I ordered part 705006981 for that (now she wants the right side 705006531 to make it look even ) My question is, what is 705005462? I can't find it on the parts catalog... Thanks!
    I found it in the parts list for the the ST models. Looks like the same part for both, but list a different number in the RSS parts fishe. Will order the ones he listed being he has installed and working on his bike.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    I found it in the parts list for the the ST models. Looks like the same part for both, but list a different number in the RSS parts fishe. Will order the ones he listed being he has installed and working on his bike.
    David
    Figured it out now. Thanks!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

What is the Can-AM store you guys are talking about? Is it the http://store.spyder.brp.com/ online store? Cause I can't even find a place to search for the part numbers on there... So do you have to scroll through all that to find it? Some one enlighten me please.. Thanks in advance!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jhernandez3 View Post
    What is the Can-AM store you guys are talking about? Is it the http://store.spyder.brp.com/ online store? Cause I can't even find a place to search for the part numbers on there... So do you have to scroll through all that to find it? Some one enlighten me please.. Thanks in advance!
    Go to the parts at the website. click on the 2013 ST limited SE5 and look under body accessories. They are #66, 69 and 74 in the parts fishe and that will be the 3 p/n he had listed.
    David

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    Some folks (about 85%) have reported heat coming from their bikes. Since ambient temps in the rest of the US (15%) equal or surpass the temps coming from the bike no actual addtional heat is detected. As hard as I try I just can't feel the heat when it's 112 degrees out! Other times its welcome.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does item #66 interfere with the Spyderpops heat management piece on the right "pod"? Does it replace that? I already have the Spyderpops scoop thing installed. SpyderRx could you please post a pic of the right side with the fairing removed?

Maybe I'll just go to the hardware store and find a couple feet of flexible baseboard molding and double face tape? :-\
    Last edited by asp125; 05-09-2013 at 11:30 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Does item #66 interfere with the Spyderpops heat management piece on the right "pod"? Does it replace that? I already have the Spyderpops scoop thing installed. SpyderRx could you please post a pic of the right side with the fairing removed?

Maybe I'll just go to the hardware store and find a couple feet of flexible baseboard molding and double face tape? :-\
    You do replace that whole scoop. I will try and post a picture tonight

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Feeling in your legs?

That! Was funny Good one

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    That! Was funny Good one

I just received my parts yesterday and I am really excited to see for myself!! Thanks for the tip!!

2009 Red & Black RS
    Mods so far:
    Ultimate Seat w/Backrest
    Kewl Metal Highway Brackets

Spyder Garage

Cool Well today...

I haven't seen this one posted on here yet. I trie out a new mod with my 2009 RS to try to help with the heat issue as well as the exhaust smell I get from my touring windshield an wind deflectors. I noticed on the 2013 ST it had a heat shield between the left and right side panels and the body which is currently open on the RS. You get a lot of heat coming up through these openings at your body, legs, and face. I decided to try and fit these to my bike so I ordered the 3 parts from the can an store. Around $90 for the set. The fit really well. I had to do a slight cut on the top of the inner plastic on the side with the fan since the shroud covering the fan is deeper on the newer model. Rose 350 miles today and it did great! Eliminates the heat coming up at you and forces more out of the side eliminating the heat at your foot also. Did mot affect the running temperature of the bike at all. Here is a few pictures after the install. What do y'all think?
    Read this late night and since i was going in for an oil change, I ordered a set to see if it will work. Thanks for the heads up Rx.

Spyder Garage

I am going to try using something like this on the inside of various panels: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=398813_0_0_
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Let me know how y'all think it works. I've been satisfied so far. Definitely doesn't solve the problem completely but does cut the hot air coming up at your face. The only downside I've seen is the new scoop does force a lot more air out the side. I have rivco highway pegs so this puts a lot of hot air on my right foot when using the highway pegs. Not unbearable though.