Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Blown Rear Shock @ 13k Miles

Took the RT in to have the brake pedal/linkage update done, only to discover that the rear shock was blown and had to be replaced. Of course it's a year our of warranty so BRP wouldn't cover the repairs. Just curious, has anyone else had the rear (air) shock go at only 13k miles? That seems like really low mileage for the seal on the air shock to go.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine went out but it was at 30,000 + miles and I had the Best warranty so it was covered.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First signs of something not being right within a few weeks of purchase. Repairs were made at 1K, which didn't work. It was totally replaced at around 4K. It was covered under warranty.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    First signs of something not being right within a few weeks of purchase. Repairs were made at 1K, which didn't work. It was totally replaced at around 4K. It was covered under warranty.
    What were the first signs?

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    What were the first signs?

JT
    The base model for my Performance RT is the A&C version so putting in and releasing air is manual. I noticed it felt really soft and would like bottom out. I'd put air in (20, 30, whatever pounds) and w/in a day or two it was acting the same. Got to the point w/in a month of purchase it wouldn't hold air at all.

Spyder Garage

So did the shock go, or the air pillow?

The rear shock isn't an 'air shock'. It's a typical shock with an air pillow system near the top. I've heard of many of these shocks going bad... I'd replace with Elka for sure.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RT and mine went at about 10K. When the dealer replaced it the new one he got from BRP was bad and he had to reorder and install another one.
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Mine is in the shop with same issue should be covered under warranty hope

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

The rear shock isn't an 'air shock'. It's a typical shock with an air pillow system near the top. I've heard of many of these shocks going bad... I'd replace with Elka for sure.

I came back from spyder fest and then it blew up. How much is this going to cost if warranty doesn't cover it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

Correct on their being two components. In my case the pillow went first and the bottoming out was what cracked/broke the shock itself. The OEM replacement was worked great in all respects.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    Took the RT in to have the brake pedal/linkage update done, only to discover that the rear shock was blown and had to be replaced. Of course it's a year our of warranty so BRP wouldn't cover the repairs. Just curious, has anyone else had the rear (air) shock go at only 13k miles? That seems like really low mileage for the seal on the air shock to go.
    I have a 2010 RT SE5 and the rear shock went out at 3100 miles and then at about 8700 miles the actuator for the air ride suspension broke . I was lucky both items were covered under Warranty.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mrogers1014845
    I came back from spyder fest and then it blew up. How much is this going to cost if warranty doesn't cover it?
    I really think your warranty will cover the repair. Mine happened under the extended warranty coverage.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Mine's bad too

I have 15,000 on it and have cowtown sending a new one. the trick is getting the old one apart ,I havedone this before on harley shocks but I don't think that press will work. I'll have to build new support plates to fit, then it's a snap..

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RT and I went through about 5 shocks in the first 12,000 miles, all covered under warranty.
    At one point I even suggested the dealer get an Elka. One Elka has to be less cost than REPEATED repairs to the rear shock.
    I haven't had any issues since the last one was replaced, that's about 10K miles ago
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    The base model for my Performance RT is the A&C version so putting in and releasing air is manual. I noticed it felt really soft and would like bottom out. I'd put air in (20, 30, whatever pounds) and w/in a day or two it was acting the same. Got to the point w/in a month of purchase it wouldn't hold air at all.
    Thanks, mine is the RT-S and has the onboard pump so it might be hard to notice a small leak.

JT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    I have a 2010 RT SE5 and the rear shock went out at 3100 miles and then at about 8700 miles the actuator for the air ride suspension broke . I was lucky both items were covered under Warranty.

When the actuator went . BRP replaced the air bag and the actuator. The shock blew out when the dealer's tech was test driving it after winter storage , which was lucky for me and no damage to the air bag.

Spyder Garage

2010 2010 RT PE air bag went out at 600 miles was replaced and no further problems

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mrogers102 View Post
    Dealer told me betweeen $250-$300.

Spyder Garage

A little confused here, (which is nothing new for me) the shock and the air bag are 2 seperate components. In my case, the air bag is what blew. How does installing a Elka prevent the air bag from going bad?

Spyder Garage

A little confused here, (which is nothing new for me) the shock and the air bag are 2 seperate components. In my case, the air bag is what blew. How does installing a Elka prevent the air bag from going bad?
    It doesn't.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Mine went at just under 11,000 miles and neither warranty or BEST warranty would cover it. ????? Not sure why not but it only cost a couple of hundred to get the shock replaced. Chances are I caused some of the issue myself as I was never fully aware of having to keep air in the air bag and I do usually ride 2 up. Live and learn as they say...Diana

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BAD SHOCK!!

I got mine on thur and back on sat with 50 miles.

Spyder Garage

After some "mis-communication" on the dealerships part, I was informed that it was the rear shock not the air bag that went bad. If it goes bad again, will defintelty look at going with an Elka.

Spyder Garage

What year is your RT?

Also, I refer you to this thread, where I replaced a stock rear with an Elka, then went back to stock.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...741#post612741

Paul

Spyder Garage

My RT is a 2010. Very interesting on the rear Elka. To hear some others here the rear Elka was the cats' pajama's. Thanks for the heads up, would definetly do some research before changing from stock should the rear shock fail again.

Spyder Garage

My air bag doesn,t hold air and I don,t have the time to leave it for a week to get fixed. Is there a Better OEM shock replacement that is stiffer than the 2012 RT stock shock? I way to put a better shock that doesn,t rely on the air bag for a single 200 Pound rider?
    Maybe a RS shock? Don,t want to Pay $$$ for an Elka on the rear!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!