Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default ordering the bumpskid

Quote Originally Posted by diesel-dawg View Post
    thanks guys for the input....very informative. Needless to say, I am ordering the bumpskid.

Hi,
    May I ask where you are purchasing the bumpskid? I look at the vendors on the site and unless I missed it, do not see anyone who sells them. Thanks Ron

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zbunker View Post
    Hi,
    May I ask where you are purchasing the bumpskid? I look at the vendors on the site and unless I missed it, do not see anyone who sells them. Thanks Ron
    spyderpops.com is the place. They had it in shipment almost immediately after placing the order.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Bumpskid....is it needed?

What about aquaplaning?? I am afraid this big flat plastic piece will act as a surf board on any puddle!
    I'd love to have a metal plate under the engine.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    What about aquaplaning?? I am afraid this big flat plastic piece will act as a surf board on any puddle!

I haven't had any surfboarding. The frame is under the engine. Don't think metal will do anything for you other than add excess weight.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

If your driving at speed in 6" of water you will have other things to worry about instead of hanging 10.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    If your driving at speed in 6" of water you will have other things to worry about instead of hanging 10.

JT
    Amen, brother, amen!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Did anyone in Spyderfest take a picture of the OEM plates that Spyderpop removed before installing the Bumpskid Plate? Some of them made me wonder how the still had a front end!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Yes I have one and it save my Spyder's front end. You will love the plate
    2012 Spyder RT-SE5 Gray 5-31-12 First 5,075 miles on 10-8-12
    NBV kit highway brackets with pegs Bajaron sway bar Lave exh wrap
    Grip Buddies AirHawk 2 His & Her's Walmart Front driving lights
    Spyderpops upper block off plate, belt guard, bump Skid
    BRP
    trailer hitch Napa 6 to 4 wire power converter Ram GPS upper dash
    Baker build air wings the New 3 piece full set Kewl Metal GPS hand bar
    Inspector Gadgets rear mudd flap type, Air deflectors upper & lower A-frame

Spyder Garage

got my bumpskid delivered today. spyderpops.com surely is on top of his game. Great service on this order.

Spyder Garage

Red face bumpskid

I wasn't sure if it was needed but bought one and when I installed it and when I saw the condition of the factory skidplate realized that it was a very good and wise investment.

Spyder Garage

It was the first mod I put on the bike.

I have used it, it works, and I would do it all over again,... and it looks great to boot!

The thing is, the skid can be replaced if it gets damaged too badly, the nose of your bike is a little different.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

I don't know that the Bump Skid is necessary if you mean you can't live without it. But I can say for sure that you're much better off with it installed. It's more than just a piece of plastic. It is well thought out, looks good and is very functional.

It is the 1st piece of your Spyder to hit an obstruction (be it something at speed on the freeway or a wheel stop in a parking lot). Without the Bump Skid installed, a nicely painted, expensive part of your Spyder will take the hit.

The Bump Skid is well worth the money. Highly recommended!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Saves the frank

I hit one of those highway alligators with mine. I'm sure I would have had a lot of damage without it. It helped my rt slide over the tire chunk and keep control.

Spyder Garage

Default Saves the frunk

Works better than auto correct

Spyder Garage

Default Is it worth it?

I had one put on spyder fest last year, well on the way home foggy rainy didn't see a dead armadillo when thump crunch we ran it over , bump skid paid for itself in 5 miles after spyder fest 2012. Saved the frunk ! It's worth every penny!

Gary

Spyder Garage

Well i think you get the picture here................ Get a Bumpskid.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    Within one week, I improved handling and mpg on my RT:

Bump-Skid (critter splitter) - In addition to protecting the front underside of the nose, the unit seals a big cavity from the front to the rear of the front, stopping just in front of the suspension, a space subject to air drag under the Spyder. Gone. Less 'sail' from the faring. It also amplifies some down pressure on the front of the Spyder when at highway speed ... stability. Better aerodynamics = better mpg.

BajaRon's Sway Bar. Installed along with Bump-Skid. Combine this with my front Elkas Shocks ... The Spyder is on rails.

BRP Can/Am Spyder Sport Touring Vented Windscreen - reduced windsreen profile by 2" vertically and 3" horizontally. Less wind resistance and less buffeting. Helps highway mpg

Regarding mpg, the Spyder is always (and affectionately) a gas junkie when moving around streets and neighborhoods. The combination of the bumpskid and sport touring vented windscreen have my highway mpg up to 34/35 mpg solidly, riding one-up at 199 pounds without cargo. Mpg on the Spyder is strongly affected by passenger weight, two-up/one-up, trailer/cargo weight and other variables. The aerodynamic, and modest fuel economy improvements offered by the Bump-Skid and windscreen modifications, in my opinion, are most optimal at highway speeds (50 mph and over). Otherwise, the greatest influence on Spyder mpg is rider/passenger weight and cargo.
    I've put most every mod I could and I've been resistant on the bumpskid because with the Elkas and shock relo kit I'm sitting pretty high. This is the first post I've seen espousing aerodynamic benefits. I noticed you put the sway bar on at same time. Do you think that had more to do with handling improvements?? I've got everything else you have including sway bar and sport windscreen. You definitely have me reconsidering this, thx
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Short of this.... You should be fine.

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I just completed the install of the bumpskid on my new RT LTD. Great piece of work by Spyderpops.com ... The screws sent for the installation work fine for the front, but were too short for the rear installation, as you need some grip to be able to mold it a little. I went and bought 4 each #6 metric screws, somewhat longer than was included by Spyderpops. Other than the screws, it was to my liking; I think it will do the job! To avoid damaging the edge of the skid, it seems like a hardened rubber rim would be an additional thing that should be designed into the bumpskid.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Short of this.... You should be fine.

Nice picture, Ron!
    Oh! I got to looking at my OEM plate while I was crawling around inside the front end with a RonBar in my teeth...
    That sucker is already pounded into oblivion!
    The BumpSkid is real high on my list for sure!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Me lika me bumpskid!

Nothing was cheap at SpyderFest. :P But had to get the BumpSkid from Pops. I was a wus and trailered my bike up/back from TX.

I had it strapped down on the open trailer. On the way back, I noticed in the mirror that the front straps were 'slack'! I pulled over and sure enough, the rear strap had broken and the bike had moved forward, going into the front rail/wall. Needless to say, there's a small ding/notch in the BS now BUT no crack or damage to the front plastic or frunk!

Was obviously worth the $. Have been busy since being back so haven't ridden enough to warrant comment on performance of it, but it surely can't hurt!

J / Roof Man

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JsSpy View Post
    Nothing was cheap at SpyderFest. :P But had to get the BumpSkid from Pops. I was a wus and trailered my bike up/back from TX.

I had it strapped down on the open trailer. On the way back, I noticed in the mirror that the front straps were 'slack'! I pulled over and sure enough, the rear strap had broken and the bike had moved forward, going into the front rail/wall. Needless to say, there's a small ding/notch in the BS now BUT no crack or damage to the front plastic or frunk!

Was obviously worth the $. Have been busy since being back so haven't ridden enough to warrant comment on performance of it, but it surely can't hurt!

J / Roof Man
    Having towed more bikes than I can count, over more miles than I can count, I can only say one thing...

"Double up on the tie-down straps...always!"

Straps break, move, or can snap in a collision. Two sets of straps is much cheaper than repairing your ride. I learned that the hard way, a long time ago.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Great Investment.

I installed the Bumpskid today, I was surprised how much the bottom was scapped in only 800 miles. It was an easy installation.
    I did remove the ribs along the edges so the plate fits better.
    it looks good and I think it will improve fuel mileage. On just a short test after installation it feel solid in the front.

Spyder Garage

Is it necessary to lift the front end to install the bumpskid?
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
    Is it necessary to lift the front end to install the bumpskid?
    Yes, it was necessary for me, since the front end is so low. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a set of their metal tire ramps for about $40. Simply drive each front tire up on them and set the parking brake. Ready to install the bumpskid...