View Poll Results: When do you think Spyderfest 2014 should be held?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it in April

43 33.33%
  • May

55 42.64%
  • June

14 10.85%
  • July

6 4.65%
  • August

1 0.78%
  • September

7 5.43%
  • October

1 0.78%
  • Any other month (brrrrr...)

2 1.55%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default When would you like to see Spyderfest Happening?

Please advice that I am not doing this to make Len and MoGang change the date. This is more to show Spyderlovers where we stand. Again, this is MoGang's and Len's call if they want to change the date.

IMPO I say keep it where it is. Many have made the comment that most rallys (i.e. Motorcycle events expanding more than 2 days) have the chance of having a day of rain as a minimum... no rain if lucky enough. I remember Maggie Valley 2011 when we went to the Owner's Event. It rained half of the time, it was cool and got colder in the evenings and during the rain... and this was IN JUNE! But did it stop us from having fun? HECK NO!!!

Again, this is just for a viewpoint... not to submit a petition of any sort!
    Last edited by bullant12; 04-30-2013 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Chance not change... this is what happens when typing and talking to the ex-boss at the same time!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

My vote is to leave it where it is. The MO Gang has worked very hard every year to put on this great event and it is planned accordingly for their available time table. Weather will always be a factor and until we live in large domes we will not be able to control it.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

I'm going to be honest here and some of you won't like what I have to say but so be it.

I was very disappointing to see the move the date on Spyderfest post. That is just a slap in the face to these guys and gals that worked so hard for you all to have a good time. If anyone should be complaining it should be the vendors that were laying it the rain all day with the wind blowing on them the whole time and their customers having to hold down the tent poles so the wind didn't blow them away. The Elka and SpyderPops crew put in 12 hours of that along with the rest of the vendors and I didn't hear one of them cry let's move the event and they had every reason to say so. They could have said we ain't doing it, it's too wet and too cold but instead they took care of everyone that was willing to show up.

I know a lot of you are new to motorcycles and rallies and maybe that along with age is why this seems to be a big surprise to you all but this is what happens at rallies, "weather happens" and you either suck it up and deal with it or go home. It's not the fault of the guys who picked the date and even though you say you know that you still can't help but make them feel as if they let you down in some way. If it had been like it was the one good day or like it is right now would you still be asking to move it to another date? Maybe it's good that some of you won't be at the next one if it's too cold or too hot or too far or whatever. I want to be around folks that appreciate the effort that went into pulling this off and are willing to keep their thoughts to themselves because they know that pretty much everything else went well considering the time frame this new dealership and event was put together. I would rather hangout with a 100 riders that understood that then 1000 riders that want to complain about the weather.

Sorry but I've been holding this in for three days now,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only riding when it's sunny? Next thing you know they'll be trading in their Spyders for Harleys and trailering them to events.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyderfest

Well put Lamont and I agree with you. Rain or shine, friendships that were made are priceless. Even though I didn't have much done to my spyder, the vendors were awesome. They kept right on going day after day until the end of the spyderfest. We as spyderlovers should be thankful. I have yet to figure out how Len and The MoGang pulled it off but I for one am glad they did. This is my first spyderfest and you will not hear but ONE complaint from me about spyderfest........IT WASN'T LONG ENOUGH!!!! I can't seem to pick my favorite part but if I had to chose, I think it would be the Girls On Spyders. So what it rained a little......big hairy deal. It was ALL good !!!!!!
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Only riding when it's sunny? Next thing you know they'll be trading in their Spyders for Harleys and trailering them to events.
    Based from what I have seen... I have seen more trailered on this 'fest than the previous 2 I've been. I admit that I trailered mine to the Owners Event in '11 but did it because my clutch gave out the trip before and I could not risk a brakedown. I learned that the rYde there is a lot more fun than trailering the . JMHO.
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The Elka and SpyderPops crew put in 12 hours of that along with the rest of the vendors and I didn't hear one of them cry let's move the event and they had every reason to say so. They could have said we ain't doing it, it's too wet and too cold but instead they took care of everyone that was willing to show up.
    Thanks for mentioning that Lamont. The SpyderPops crew did not get much time (for most non at all) to enjoy rides.... Heck it was Terri's and Harvey's wedding anniversary on Saturday! They worked rain and shine. Not to mentioned the other vendors that stayed... Bj Thompson and her husband Dennis had all their inventory get wet, so they took it to a laundrymat to dry them.

I would rather deal with that kind of weather than the heat! I can bundle and layer for cold and wet... if I rode naked then I would be in trouble!

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Lamont, well put. I won't even vote in this poll.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I trailered our 2 Spyders to the event this year and am still not complaining. They were on a flat bed trailer, so they still got wet.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

I agree with everything Lamont said.
    Besides, some event has to be the first one of the year. Spyderfest makes a great kickoff to the riding season, and I have no intention of waiting until May or June to start riding!

Spyder Garage

this is the first spyderfest I've been able to attend. Had my RT since 2010. I left early for the event a day early because of rain and came home a day early for the same reason. needless to say riding 800 miles in rain is not something I enjoy (I have an enclosed trailer I could have pulled it there but wheres the fun in that). You can't plan for the weather I know because I helped with other events in past years. Len and Mogang did a great job with spyderfest. I can appricate the hours in planning something this size the hours of thier free time to have an event for all spyder riders to attent. What ever time they schedule for next year I'll be there and alot of other riders too. I want to THANK Lenn and Mogang for thier time and efford to put on an event like this

Spyder Garage

Default Im Sorry!!!!! THANK YOU!

Very well said Lamont! I feel VERY guilty for voting on the poll after I read your post. I want to personally apologize! Lamont is RIGHT we all need to say Thank you for the hard work and efforts.

I am so very sorry for “throwing stones” from my glass house!” Instead T H A N K Y O U ! ! !
    Open up your Mind and let your Fantasies Unwind!

Spyder Garage

It can rain or snow any week of the year in Missouri. Last year it was hot as heck and mostly sunny. Sometimes you get great weather, sometimes not so much. This is the nature of these types of things. Beats sitting in front of the T.V., even when the weather is bad. I will be back, whenever it is scheduled.
    2010 RTS and 2013 RSS

Spyder Garage

Default Don't be a whiner

I did not get to attend this year but I hope to in the future. I am new to spyders but not to motorcycles or gatherings of this type. Here is what I see happening and has happened in other cases, the people who started it will say the H*ll with it’s not worth it, and they will stop doing it. They will start to do it informally among themselves and the outside folks won’t even know about. So the way I see it you can attend when it is planned and enjoy yourselves or not attend because you don’t like the timing. Just my 2 cents.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Well said, Lamont on the eforts that go int planning and putting on a event. As somebody put it, if you do not like the way I do things, I just will not let you know about it. I will rant a little about trailering thou. I took mine on a trailer last year for medical reasons. I could not attend at all this year for worse medical reasons. I hated to start trailering, but had little choice. Today, in my case, a 400 mile run would end up as a 250 mile ride on the Spyder, 20 or so in a Medic unit to either a hospitial or the mourge. End of rant on trailers. Repeat thank thanks to Mo-gang for all they do and have done. I may never be able to attend another Spyderfeast for the same reasons, but I will always remember the efforts for the previous ones. Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I am not going to vote in the poll because I do not foresee traveling to the event that time of the year. The Alcan Highway area gets blizzards, snow, and sub zero temperatures. That is not a fun thousand miles or so.

Unfortunately, the weather issue has been somewhat polarizing to members of the group. I am seeing an "Us vs. Them" thing going on. Let's let the dust clear for awhile and go from there.

Ultimately, people will vote with their time and pocketbooks. Kudos to those who are willing to put an event on like this. No matter how hard everyone works and plans, "things" are going to happen that were not in the plans.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-30-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you, Lamont for posting this. I have been on SL since December, 2008, after getting our 2008 SE5. I have been riding since 1966 and my wife has been riding with me since we got married in 1980. We have never been to a rally, but have ridden at least 100,000 miles together...snow, rain, 110+ temperatures, sand storm, heavy winds, accomplished what was probably the first real test of a Spyder in 2009 when we rode 13,624 miles in 7.5 weeks. I have read some really informative posts on SL, some valuable information I may need in the future. A lot of riders are helpful and unselfish. And then there are some that you couldn't please no matter what you do. Ref this year's SpyderFest. A new dealership is set up and running, a rally is planned and executed, in less time than it takes some people to make a decision on where to go on vacation. Too many people are bellyaching about this, that and the other (weather, dealership ran out of stuff to sell, etc., etc.) When several hundred Spyders show up for a rally and too many of those saved up needed repairs, etc., to get done at the dealership, it puts a hardship on the dealership and keeps them from doing nothing but WORKING! And you are gonna complain? I agree with Lamont. Stay home next year and give others a chance to enjoy the event. Motorcyclists are a tough breed, either toughen up or drive your cage.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

MY .02 cents worth

This was my 1st Spyderfest, when I wanted to ride, I rode. When i wanted to visit at the events or hotel i visited. I got there a day early because i wanted to, i left on Sunday because the event was over.

I did not miss anything because of the weather.

I am amazed how well this entire event was put together and all the work that went into it.

Next year if it snows i may bring my ski's.

Thanks to all who worked so hard to make this event available to me so that i could enjoy it and the friendships it produced.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    MY .02 cents worth

This was my 1st Spyderfest, when I wanted to ride, I rode. When i wanted to visit at the events or hotel i visited. I got there a day early because i wanted to, i left on Sunday because the event was over.

I did not miss anything because of the weather.

I am amazed how well this entire event was put together and all the work that went into it.

Next year if it snows i may bring my ski's.

Thanks to all who worked so hard to make this event available to me so that i could enjoy it and the friendships it produced.

Cruzr Joe
    We were not able to arrive until Thursday due to my work situation, but I will plan better for next year and not let that happen again.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

I agree with Lamont post as well. It had already been announced on Spyderlovers that Spyderfest was the exact same dates in 2014. If you didn't like the weather, the month, the drive, etc... Don't go. Find another rally to attend there are plenty to choose from throughout the USA and year. It just sounds very ungrateful to complain about the weather which is uncontrollable.

I also personally think everyone should have to preregister for this event by a certain date like other we have gone to. If you choose not to go you lose you riders fee. It'd be much easier on the MoGang and Len to have a definite number of attendees a few weeks prior to go off of. Everyone bends over backwards to make Spyderfest something everyone can enjoy. Mogang already does way more then most rallys do for the riders. Just seems a little ungrateful is all -- look at all the positive things they do. They could be a lot more strict etc about attendees etc...be thankful they VOLUNTEER to put it together at all.
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Spyder Garage

Lamont, thank you so much for your post!

SpyderLady

Spyder Garage

This was my first SpyderFest and I hope it's not my last. Did I like the weather? No but if anyone could predict the weather months in advance, they would have to walk on water! I met people I probably wouldn't have met it the weather was perfect. A month or so prior to SpyderFest I read some posts here where the Northerners were concerned about snow. I thought to myself it would be nice if it was a little later in the year so those people could attend as well without the fear of snow. But I can't and won't complain. Someone said on here more than once that you have to buy good rain gear. I did and boy was I thankful. On the way home, I found out the Spyder does just fine in the rain. So in conclusion, I say thank you MOgang and keep up the good work!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only thing we know for sure is that (as of now) 35 Spyder riders will stay home.

When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You cannot predict what the weather is going to do. Last year it was nice with only one short burst of rain that made us close up for a few minutes. As a vendor, did I enjoy laying in water installing boards, of course not. But if my customers can ride in the rain to get there then I can install their parts. I was ask by a MoGang member what I thought about moving the vendors inside. I think that would be great, our tents would not be blowing away and as Lamont said our customers would not be standing in the rain trying to hold them down. On Friday I was installing a Spyder rack, my customer and his riding buddy was telling me that after I finished they were headed for Branson, keep in mind it was raining and cold. I ask them if they were kidding. They said no, they came to ride.
    Not all aspects were perfect, but what is? Len had his hands full with the goings on at Pittbull PS and still trying to keep up with everything else, the MoGang stood out as usual as well as the Spyder members to toughed it out. We are looking forward to the owners event so we can have a chance to ride, rain or shine.

Thank you Lamont for opening some eyes to reality.

enjoy the ride
    Allen & Patti

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    My opinion registered in one of the first posts to this thread was that whatever worked for the MOgang worked for me, so we do essentially agree.

What I can't quite see and it seems a tad bit harsh is how a discussion of a date is slap in the face to these guys and gals that worked so hard for you all to have a good time

I don't believe that anyone blames MOgang for the weather.
    I've talked to more than a few of the folks that put this on and I know how they feel. Have you?