Spyder Garage

Default Problem with Slime in tires

A month or so ago I put Slime in the 3 tires on my '08 GS. I used the quantities recommended on the Slime bottle.

From my first ride of the season I was not happy as I was getting vibrations from one of or both of the front wheels.

It lasted from 85kph to 95kph then went away. Now, I spend a lot of time in that speed range off the interstates, so I was pi**ed.

Today I removed the front wheels, broke the beads on each side of the tires so the rim was loose & flushed it all out. Dried it inside & inflated them with the tire in exactly the same place on each rim (had marked them)

Tested on the freeway & back to normal again now. I will just fix a flat if I get one now.

Have put Slime in the last dozen or so motorcycles/maxiscooters I've had without this problem. Don't know what happened but glad it's fixed.

BTW: I messed up the appearance of both rims with my tire irons & will have to live with that. GRRRR.

As I have no more vibrations I will make the assumption the rear tire is OK & leave the Slime in it. I wouldn't be able to break the bead myself anyway as it is too wide for my largest C clamp.

One very hot, very tired & very sore old Spyder ryder.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default slime..!!

works well in atv's and farm equipment. Have installed it in many motorcycles (not mine) and worked well probably due to the amount. Slime will always pool and you will have to roll to spread it out to a balancing point. Hear ride on works well but have no hands on with it..still just carry plug kit and co2 cartridge for flats.. Jmo sorry about the rims...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Slime is not recommended for speeds over 45 MPH By the manufacture, Yes you can get away using it most of the times, I have'' But sometimes it will cause an imbalance at highway speeds[45+].
    Works great for low speed vehicles, ATVs etc..... I keep a gallon pump jug [Tubeless type] for my ATV's and my Side-bys.

Spyder Garage

Fix-a-flat would be good to keep on hand in the event of a puncture to get you back home or to the dealer, yes?
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Slime is not recommended for speeds over 45 MPH By the manufacture, Yes you can get away using it most of the times, I have'' But sometimes it will cause an imbalance at highway speeds[45+].
    Works great for low speed vehicles, ATVs etc..... I keep a gallon pump jug [Tubeless type] for my ATV's and my Side-bys.
    Slime is not really intended for this purpose. You need to use something that is specially formulated for high speeds, such as Ride-On, and you shouldn't have an issue like that.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ride-On works GREAT, and balances the tires as well. Good stuff! and it doesn't corrode the aluminum wheels.

Spyder Garage

I find Ride-On to be too highly priced for my taste, not even counting the shipping to up here. Also read here that someone had the same problem I did & they had used Ride-On!

I'll just stick to empty tires from now on & plug a flat if I get one.

ps: I shoulda read the small print on the bottle more carefully. Another GRRRR.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Like everyone said, Slime is a bad idea.

Ride-On works great. Be sure to use the Auto not the MC version. Works great for balance and flats (so I've heard as I've not tested that aspect).
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

Slime is a big mistake in my opinion. Ride-On is great but even it pools if bike sits a couple days and has to redistribute to balance again. About 3 miles.
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Spyder Garage

Ride-On seemed a bit expensive to me at first as well, but then I realized it is a one time installation deal so went ahead and got it. Is there any way someone in the states could buy it and ship it to you for cheaper? I am not sure how that works with customs and such.

My Spyder sat parked with Ride-On in the tires for over 6 months and once I fired it up the ryde smoothed out perfectly in less than 1/4 mile. I don't have any wheel weights on either.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods