Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone got the permanent fix for their sprocket?

I called my dealer to see if they had the permanent fix ready. He told me BRP is not allowing them to stock parts, I would have to bring the bike in and have them take a picture or it. Then LEAVE the bike until the part comes in because they can't stock the part! I would also have to pay for them to put the bike back together after assembly because they only get paid to take it apart.
    I have never had to take a vehicle in for a recall so please tell me this isn't they way business is done (especially when it's their fault!)

Spyder Garage

Sounds like another "smooth move" by either BRP or another lying dealer.

Bring the bike in so they can take a picture? Leave it with the dealer until they can get the part to fix it? How about those six week wait times and delays that the dealers are foisting on the public? Anyone looked at the calander? Winter layup is coming for many. Is the dealer going to keep the Spyder all winter, to do who knows what with it?

Hope my attitude and temper is not showing to much.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Sounds like another "smooth move" by either BRP or another lying dealer.

Bring the bike in so they can take a picture? Leave it with the dealer until they can get the part to fix it? How about those six week wait times and delays that the dealers are foisting on the public? Anyone looked at the calander? Winter layup is coming for many. Is the dealer going to keep the Spyder all winter, to do who knows what with it?

Hope my attitude and temper is not showing to much.

I tried 3 other dealers (a lot farther away) who said they don't have the parts yet? What the hell, I have no idea what was up with the dealer I called. Are certain dealers getting parts before others? I don't think you have a bad attitude at all, I am ready to tear down the BRP and spyder signs I have in my garage! I in no way want to promote this stupidity.

Spyder Garage

As far as I know, nobody has the fix yet. and it might be next year before they do. There are several other threads on this exact topic.

Honestly, I don't think the BRP knows what the fix will be.

Also, stay away from that 1st dealer, sounds like a total rip-off. I'm not a lawyer but, I don't think you can be legally charged for a recall like this.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Simple solution. Correct me if I'm wrong. Order an early 14 or pre-14 sprocket. I'd think they would all be the same size as later units.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    As far as I know, nobody has the fix yet. and it might be next year before they do. There are several other threads on this exact topic.

Honestly, I don't think the BRP knows what the fix will be.

Also, stay away from that 1st dealer, sounds like a total rip-off. I'm not a lawyer but, I don't think you can be legally charged for a recall like this.
    Thanks, I did a search on past posts, but found no one who actually got a fix - that is why I posted a new thread to see if my dealer was right. Also you are correct - if you look at the back of the recall notice it says that this should be remedied without charges!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Simple solution. Correct me if I'm wrong. Order an early 14 or pre-14 sprocket. I'd think they would all be the same size as later units.
    Good luck trying to do that. The sprocket for all RTs from 2014 to 2022 is the same part #, which replaces original part # for all years from 2014 to Sept 2020. The part # was changed in Sept 2020 so that must be the one they are planning to use for the recall replacement. That # is 705503239.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I got the recall notice months ago, but based on what I've seen here on SpyderLovers I am NOT taking my Spyder in for the preliminary service just to avoid the situation of being told not to ride it at all until the permanent fix is ready. Nobody knows when that will happen either. It's long past the original estimate.

I'm not having any visible problems with the sprocket, or any unusual vibrations, so for now I plan to ride until the "fix" is actually available.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Good luck trying to do that. The sprocket for all RTs from 2014 to 2022 is the same part #, which replaces original part # for all years from 2014 to Sept 2020. The part # was changed in Sept 2020 so that must be the one they are planning to use for the recall replacement. That # is 705503239.
    Thanks, I should have known that but it was just a hopeful thought for those in need.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just got off the phone with my local dealership and explained to him that I had 2- 2016 bikes. I check them before each ride that will be over about 200+ miles, and also about every 1000 miles. I asked if they needed to inspect it and if the fix was in the works or if I should come in for a "temporary fix". He said what I am doing now was my best bet and no real fix is available. Just call about each month and when something is available, they would set up a time for the replacement.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

In my opinion, the definitive repair will bef a pulley change to one that is not yet available.

I base my opinion on the fact that the change is not made to all Spyders but only to some series of some models of some years, giving me to understand that they are "defective parts" and that is why they will change them, but not for "new old model pulleys" but by "new pulleys of new design or manufacturer".

Here in Spain I have passed a review in which the distributor tried to see the existing play between the shaft and the pulley without being able to move, so we remain calm while waiting for the arrival of the new solution.

Obviously, both this first review and the final one will be in charge of BRP. Another thing is what the dealer get for the work, which is almost always too little, but that is not the end customer's problem and they must solve it among themselves.
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

What years are affected with this issue ?
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Yeah, my dealer says at least 3 months before they get the parts, if then. My Spyder passed the inspection (read interim repair) and I check the sprocket regularly. The OP's dealer telling him that he has to pay for re-assembly shot my BS meter to maximum red. Once again, BRP is nowhere near being really prepared for this. It would be interesting to know where the sprockets will be manufactured, as I don't think any have yet to be. And that's on BRP for not being aggressive in sourcing the part. Reminds me of the 2013 RT heat recall-I had a 2013 RTS- and waited several months for the parts to become available. It p****s me off that we pay so much money for these machines and once BRP has our money they don't care about us anymore. One would think that they would keep dealers updated, but as we all know, they NEVER do that. Dealers are as much in the dark as we are.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    What years are affected with this issue ?
    Not trying to be rude but you really do need to use the search function. This is just one thread on the issue.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...Recall-FINALLY
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-14-2022 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Highlighted link!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    I called my dealer to see if they had the permanent fix ready. He told me BRP is not allowing them to stock parts, I would have to bring the bike in and have them take a picture or it. Then LEAVE the bike until the part comes in because they can't stock the part! I would also have to pay for them to put the bike back together after assembly because they only get paid to take it apart.
    I have never had to take a vehicle in for a recall so please tell me this isn't they way business is done (especially when it's their fault!)
    I will make this easier for you. Your dealer is feeding you a bad line of BS in hopes you will just go away.

Replacement sprocket for the permanent fix is not yet available and cannot be ordered.
    Your dealer can order and stock any parts they want to spend money on.
    The recall is to be performed at no cost to the owner for parts AND labor.
    The currently available part number is NOT the final fix
    Last edited by jcthorne; 09-14-2022 at 12:28 PM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not all dealers are responding to this sprocket situation the same. Some are reacting very badly. Those who do, are displaying their true feelings, creditability, and dedication to their customers. I for one, can not understand their reasonings. After all this situation is not of their making. JMHO
    Last edited by 2dogs; 09-14-2022 at 01:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I will make this easier for you. Your dealer is feeding you a bad line of BS in hopes you will just go away.

Replacement sprocket for the permanent fix is not yet available and cannot be ordered.
    Your dealer can order and stock any parts they want to spend money on.
    The recall is to be performed at no cost to the owner for parts AND labor.
    The currently available part number is NOT the final fix
    That's why I was asking! It sounded exactly like that, they were doing anything they can to make it difficult in hopes of you going away. I am going to contact BRP and even the administration that sent me the letter. Nothing will probably get done but I hope someone at least contacts them.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Replacement sprocket for the permanent fix is not yet available and cannot be ordered.......The currently available part number is NOT the final fix
    Something's not adding up to my way of thinking.

Part # 705503239 is the currently available sprocket, according to the BRP parts catalog.
    The catalog shows that 705503239 was used starting in Sept 2020. That means it was not used in 2020 models.
    2014 and 2020+ models apparently do not have a fretting problem.
    The part number changed from 2014 (705501986) to 2015 (705502134) so who knows what changed in the material used?
    According to the BRP parts catalog the *2134 sprocket was used up to Sept 2020.
    If there was a significant difference in the sprocket material from 2014 to 2015 was that the cause of the fretting? If so, why don't we see reports of fretting with the 2020 models and why are they not included in the recall?
    That's why, as I stated in another thread, I'm thinking the output shaft may be the cause of the fretting. But if so, then why don't we see reports of fretting with the 2020+ models since the output shaft part # is the same from 2015 to 2022? Or did they (or Rotax) make a change in the output shaft in 2020 without changing the part #?

My observation has been that quality control over documentation has not been one of BRP's strong points. Maybe one of the reasons they are taking so long to come up with the permanent fix is there have been material or manufacturing changes in the sprocket or output shaft that were not identified by part # changes. Maybe they simply do not know what sprocket material is in the sprocket of every Spyder since 2015 and so have been unable to pinpoint the root cause of the fretting. And if they don't know the root cause, there is no way to define the fix.

All of the above emanates from my years working in quality assurance where I came up with the following mantra; QA-QA-QA -- The Questioning Approach of Quality Assurance leads to the Quintessential Answer!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I would also have to pay for them to put the bike back together after assembly because they only get paid to take it apart.
    I may be living in some kind of Leave It To Beaver, Father Knows Best fantasy world, but isn't putting the bike back together again part of the repair process?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

That's why I was asking! It sounded exactly like that, they were doing anything they can to make it difficult in hopes of you going away. I am going to contact BRP and even the administration that sent me the letter. Nothing will probably get done but I hope someone at least contacts them.
    Even if someone from BRP contacts them you can rest assured that your information will be passed on to them.
    Would you really want them working on your Spyder with them knowing that you reported them? I wouldn't.

Spyder Garage

I replaced my front sprocket earlier this year. As far as I am concerned, My bike is completely fixed and not worrying about the recall.

Plus nobody should ever pay any money when a recall is in play.
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Even if someone from BRP contacts them you can rest assured that your information will be passed on to them.
    Would you really want them working on your Spyder with them knowing that you reported them? I wouldn't.
    That's the first question I asked and he told me they would do their own internal investigation and my name wouldn't be mentioned. It really doesn't matter anyway because I don't ever plan on going back there. Also I think being afraid they use my name is not the right attitude to have, I am trying to stop them from ripping other people off!

Spyder Garage

That's the first question I asked and he told me they would do their own internal investigation and my name wouldn't be mentioned. It really doesn't matter anyway because I don't ever plan on going back there. Also I think being afraid they use my name is not the right attitude to have, I am trying to stop them from ripping other people off!
    You must have taken something I said out of context. I never said you should be afraid to say anything, I strongly recommend you or anyone in this kind of circumstance to say something.
    All I was saying was I wouldn't want them working on my stuff again. And that they would know who reported them (unless you gave them a fake name or something like that.)

Spyder Garage

Some dealers charge extra fees for everything. My original dealer was like that. When I had warranty work done they charged extra fees. Find another dealer you can trust. Those are Stealerships especially when your recall letter says "BRP will repair your vehicle at no cost"
    2015 Spyder F3S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Something's not adding up to my way of thinking.

All of the above emanates from my years working in quality assurance where I came up with the following mantra; QA-QA-QA -- The Questioning Approach of Quality Assurance leads to the Quintessential Answer!
    Is it possible to find out who and where these sprockets are made?