Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyderfest may have pushed me over the edge!

I came down from Kansas City with my wife [SZ-Spydie] and her RT. I was on my trusty Suzuki Boulevard S50. (I think it was the only vehicle in the ballfield parking lot without some kind if fairing or windshield!) I've always been impressed by Spyders and encouraged SZ-Spydie to buy hers, but I haven't been able to see myself NOT on two wheels (I've been riding bikes for over 30 years.) But I test rode the ST and RSS on Thursday [EDIT: make that Friday...in the cold, pouring rain]. Then, during Saturday's group ride, as I wiggled over rain grooves while being blown around by gusts, entering wet corners covered by wet leaves and gravel, It occurred to me how much more fun I'd be having on that RSS. I am predicting I will be on three wheels myself next year!
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 04-28-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

You have discovered what many of us have. While the Spyder may be somewhat more physically demanding than riding two wheels, it is mentally far less of a strain than the bikes. For bad weather, two-up, or towing a trailer it is the best I have ever ridden. I swear that if it could go off-road, it would be perfect.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Good news..!!

hang around here and we will be happy to push you over the edge. Though I don't think you will need it. Once bitten it's all over...I was bitten by a commercial, went to the dealer and road it home and have never looked back. Road bikes for 50 years...!! Your gonna love it.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Your hooked so remove the hook

Ride your "Suzie" down to the dealer after you spend a day detailing to better then new. To bad friend but the hook is hanging tight in your mouth and you can not spit it out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    I came down from Kansas City with my wife [SZ-Spydie] on her RT. I was on my trusty Suzuki Boulevard S50. (I think it was the only vehicle in the ballfield parking lot without some kind if fairing or windshield!) I've always been impressed by Spyders and encouraged SZ-Spydie to buy hers, but I haven't been able to see myself NOT on two wheels (I've been riding bikes for over 30 years.) But I test rode the ST and RSS on Thursday. Then, during Saturday's group ride, as I wiggled over rain grooves while being blown around by gusts, entering wet corners covered by wet leaves and gravel, It occurred to me how much more fun I'd be having on that RSS. I am predicting I will be on three wheels myself next year!
    nice choice on the rss! don't wait, take the jump! you'll be soooooo glad you did!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You have discovered what many of us have. While the Spyder may be somewhat more physically demanding than riding two wheels, it is mentally far less of a strain than the bikes. For bad weather, two-up, or towing a trailer it is the best I have ever ridden. I swear that if it could go off-road, it would be perfect.
    I have taken mine offroad slightly, but it definitely could use more ground clearance and grippier tires. It also took a long time to clean the mud off after that adventure.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

I rode ATVs for many years before switching to my sts, and the spyder was an easy change for me, I still catch myself leaning or hanging off on hard turns and ramps!

Spyder Garage

I've owned 2 wheel motorcycles for over 40 years. My last bike was an S50 Suzuki that I could carry on the back bumper of my RV. Nice bike--weighed only 440 lbs and had a better power to weight ratio than a Sportster. Kept it after I bought the Spyder last year. When it became obvious that I was always riding the Spyder and not the S50, I sold it. Trust me, you'll never look back.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default Pulled the trigger!

Just to follow up on this thread, I just put down a deposit on a new 2013 RS-S in Magnesium Metallic; I should be able to pick it up Thursday or Friday. I'm REALLY excited!

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and welcome to the Spyderverse!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Yea, I was going to say forget next year and get one now. Now you will need to get on line at the BRP's website and get your reservations for the owner's event in Maggie Valley, NC!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DAMANDING ....SPYDER ? ? ?

Scotty you'r kidding right.....A Spyder is MORE physically demanding than a Two Wheel Mtc..............A Mo-ped maybe ....But not any Mtc. I've ever ridden, and that's quite a few in the past 50 years .........Mike

Spyder Garage

I can see you with a mud tires on that Spyder! Now that'd be cool. Somebody has to be the first, Right? What would be next, how many school buses can a spyder jump?
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Just to follow up on this thread, I just put down a deposit on a new 2013 RS-S in Magnesium Metallic; I should be able to pick it up Thursday or Friday. I'm REALLY excited!
    Welcome, You've been reeled in.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

on your decision. Now--get ready for the longest couple days you will ever have.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Good for you!!!I was happy to be on my RT Monday when I rounded a backroads corner at 50 MPH only to have a Mid Size deer standing in the middle of the road?I Slammed to a stop just a foot from the Little Darling that didn,t even move- I think it had a death wish?Didn,t poop my pants or anything but I did slow down for a little while!
    One of the best selling points of the Spyder compared to two wheels. You want to stop? Just go ahead and stop. Corners, debris, mid-size deer in your face... pshaw, just press those brakes.It makes me lazy, I tell ya.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Dealer just called back to say that he can't get me an RS-S SM5 in Magnesium.
    He's going to look for an orange one, which I would be cool with. A little OTT for my style, but attractive.
    I told him that the only color I really CAN'T do is that pea-soup green.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    on your decision. Now--get ready for the longest couple days you will ever have.

Spyder Garage

Dealer just called back to say that he can't get me an RS-S SM5 in Magnesium.
    He's going to look for an orange one, which I would be cool with. A little OTT for my style, but attractive.
    I told him that the only color I really CAN'T do is that pea-soup green.
    I hope they are able to find one for you soon. Best of luck.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Looks like I'm getting the Magnesium/Steel Black after all.

Is there anything specifically I should check for at the dealership or watch for on my first ride? Has anybody bought one that was not set up properly?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully; they'll take some time to explain the features and controls of the bike to you...
    Naturally; your brain will be in overload mode, so nothing will get past this look on your face...
    Seriously though; ask what the tire pressures are currently set at. (Make them get specific with you)
    You could mention that you heard "Somewhere", that running 17 or 18 psi improves the handling; see what they say about that.
    Ask them about the proper procedure to check the oil level... It's been explained here, but it'll give you an idea of how they treat folks if they give you the correct answers...
    Turning and stopping procedures should be questioned. Do they know how much (or how little!) time you've spent behind the bars of one of these bikes?
    You'll want to get a "feel" for how they're going to treat you when you come back in for servicing the bike; do they accept appointments, or is it a first come-first served kind of free for all?
    What else can anybody add?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Looks like I'm getting the Magnesium/Steel Black after all.

Is there anything specifically I should check for at the dealership or watch for on my first ride? Has anybody bought one that was not set up properly?
    I took a 100lb to 300lb KRIKIT belt tension gauge with me and checked the drive belt for REFERENCE, so I could check the belt myself in the future. (I got a 200 lb reading with wheel on the ground), which I believe is on the low side, but no belt vibration....Service manual shows 2013 belt tension at 1050 newtons....(Only 450 newtons for the earlier models). The GATES KRIKIT part number is 91132.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Scotty you'r kidding right.....A Spyder is MORE physically demanding than a Two Wheel Mtc..............A Mo-ped maybe ....But not any Mtc. I've ever ridden, and that's quite a few in the past 50 years .........Mike

The spyder is a more engaging ride than a motorcycle for me. I have two wheelers in the garage and like you, I've ridden almost 50 of my 62 years. (started on a sears Allstate ) I live in Upper East tenn. and when taking a day long mountain ride, with a lot of curves, I can feel it for sure in my shoulders and back. I am not saying it's a bad thing, just that countersteering a two wheeler requires less effort for me. It may be just me. the spyder will give you a workout in the twisties as you are fighting centrifugal force that is trying to seperate you from the Spyder. That goes away with the two wheelers. That's not to say that you can't take curves fast on the Spyder, as a matter of fact as most of you know, you can leave any cruiser behind when hitting an on-ramp. Of course your compensating by leaning into the curve and hugging the Spyder with your knees. If not it will try to throw you off.
    Last edited by StanProff; 05-28-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    Happy Spyderlovers