Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default MoGang: PLEASE move Spyderfest to MAY

Dear Len and MoGang members: I am thoroughly tired of the April showers in Missouri (or was it Misery?)...how about trying for the May flowers instead (as the childhood rhyme goes)? Those of us not used to the cold could better acclimate to the weather in May...the time between Mother's Day and Memorial Day would work well (i.e. May 14 - 17). It wouldn't be too close to the Owners Event. Or consider moving Spyderfest to the fall. We could enjoy fall foliage and some great riding. It was a bummer to be in the Ozarks and get very little Spyder riding in.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Registered Users Mrs. Pitbull Buggy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default C'mon down for fall in the Ozarks!

The MoGang always closes out their riding season with an extended weekend the second weekend in October to celebrate Len's birthday. If this works better with your schedule please join us. 3 days of riding, parking lot antics, and food, and food, and a little more food.

Last edited by Mrs. Pitbull Buggy; 04-27-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

But I will be there whenever it is.

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DocRags View Post
    Dear Len and MoGang members: I am thoroughly tired of the April showers in Missouri (or was it Misery?)...how about trying for the May flowers instead (as the childhood rhyme goes)? Those of us not used to the cold could better acclimate to the weather in May...the time between Mother's Day and Memorial Day would work well (i.e. May 14 - 17). It wouldn't be too close to the Owners Event. Or consider moving Spyderfest to the fall. We could enjoy fall foliage and some great riding. It was a bummer to be in the Ozarks and get very little Spyder riding in.
    It was a fantastic experience, but my whimpy Flarda butt didn't handle the weather well.
    That being said........great job MoGang, Pitbull crew and all who worked so hard for all of us.

Even learned a thing or two from Spyderpop (Harvey) that two high profile Spyder dealerships couldn't nail down. Thanks Bro.
    Last edited by SpyderDen; 04-27-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree. The weather isn't the fault of anyone, but this is/was my first fest and it was a real bummer to have so much time rained out. Alot of people left early, and there was nothing to do while it was raining, so it seemed that most folks holed up in their respective hotels unless they were getting something done at Pit Bull. On the good days the rides were great and I really appreciate all the work that went into organizing them. Have never been in this area of the country before and was looking forward to seeing alot more of it and meeting alot more spyder people too! I do have a few suggestions:
    • Agree with idea of resetting dates for this event when there is less likelihood of foul weather. MO residents will know what months have the least typical rain.
    • Regardless of date, have some alternate activities planned which do not rely on being outside. Since Springfiled is a staging area seems like it would be possible to arrange indoor activities, bike shows, vendor presentations, movies, dances or anything else that can be done indoors. Even just a large indoor meeting area, centrally located, would be a place where folks could get together other than the Pit Bull parking lot.
    • Communication- there should be some way to get updated info on the change in previously planned events to people. Example- the wedding that we all got a brochure about apparently did not take place at the time and place advertized, but this was not known to many. In this electronic age surely mass texts could be sent out (you have contact info for the registrants) and/or a known web address where changes could be posted. Or the old fashioned way, hotels could be contacted and they could set up some sort of announcement board that could be updated.
    • Pit Bull and other vendors may want to reassess their staffing and supply, as many folks were not able to purchase or have items installed, especially those arriving late.

These aren't meant as criticisms (just observations), I know it takes alot to organize something like this and experience can only make it better each year. Perhaps if others voice their ideas on the forum some good will come of it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DocRags View Post
    I could'nt agree more... finally gave up and left today, and home now! Sorry we missed meeting so many people we had on the list to be sure to see.

We had one really beautiful day and toured the area around Branson and the loop back to Springfield on Hwy 76 and 125.

Got to see a lot of good friends and had a great dinner Fri night at the Brazilian restaurant with a bunch of Florida Huligans!

Looking forward to the Owners event and getting together again...

Spyder Garage

Everyone has to remember that Spyderfest 2012 had better weather in April, this year I think Spring (2013) started late and the weather reflected that. Last year (2012) in New England we had our bikes out the second week of March and weather was beautiful - this year we didn't even bother getting out the bikes until the second week in April. Cant control the weather. Spyderfest is meant to kick off the riding season is how I see it for those of us who don't ride year round.

May would be great but in could still get rained out or be cold. The event has been in April since it started and works for the planners schedule (MoGang) and since they are the ones dedicating their time, effort, and money I see it as if they want it in April that's when it is.Come or don't even with the rain 60 degrees to us NH people is like short and t shirt weather ..lol.

They could move it to May and still have it get rained out, be cold,etc.... Spydertalk did the Adirondack Rally in August last year and it rained pretty heavily almost every day for a little while during the rally.

We didn't go to Spyderfest this year mostly because we didn't have the bikes out and ready by then, we still had a foot of snow the first of April so we didn't get the bikes ready for the road in time and didn't have the vacation time since we already booked our other trips for 2013.

We will be at Spyderfest 2014 no matter when it is held
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Spyder Garage

My 2 cents worth, This was my first Spyderfest, if you have it in a snowstorm at the bottom of a canyon, i will be there, the comaraderie that occured during my stay here was at a level that superceded any other event i ever attended.

Thank You Mogang for all your work on this great event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default It's a shame..!!

Really sorry the weather did not cooperate during this event. This is no ones fault and it seems the organizers did a great job regardless. Thank them first for all their efforts and I'm sure they will take this experience into consideration when planning the next..know from postings that a good time was had by many..great job will be there next year rain or shine...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, here in the Ozarks, it's a tourist trap straight out of hell during the busy season. Rooms double in price, traffic is even worse and add boats/trailers into the mix. This year's weather did blow chunks, no doubt about that. But, in the Midwest, the weather is always a roll of the dice. At least we didn't have any tornadoes this time. We do try to make this as affordable for everyone as possible. My wife and I have been here since the Friday prior to opening night helping to get things together. Sunday makes 9 days that we've been here. Just like every SpyderFest that has come before, we try to learn from our mistakes. The tough part is that it grows exponentially every year which creates a whole new set of logistical problems. We are not professionals in this line of work. We are just typical folks that add what we can to make it work.

I hope that you all don't let the weather from this year's event deter you from coming next year. I forcast nice riding weather for then... according to my old Magic 8 Ball.

Had a great time and I'm tired as hell. Goodnight and talk soon.

Kevin & Joanie
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

Talked to a lot of people who hated the weather but loved being there anyway. It don't matter what dates you pick for any event there's a good chance it's going to rain sometime. I'm been at Bikeweek in Daytona when it rained 7 out of 10 days in March and I've been in Sturgis when all the leaves on the trees were stripped clean from hail storms passing through. If you can guarantee that a date and location is not going to rain during that event in a place that's as nice as this just let me know. Weather has a way of doing what it wants to when it wants to so you learn to just deal with it or you don't I choose to make the best of it.

Spyder Garage

My dime...PitBull did the best job they did....even with the 3 mechanics brought down from Canada, the still were swamped in the shop. Its just a matter of patience.

As for the rain. Nobody can plan for the weather when the dates are set at least 6 months in advance. All you can do is Set and Pray. If it does rain, either stay in, hang out and stay dry, or get out, ryde and test out your rain gear.

This years rain was worse than last years, but who's to say it won't be clear skies this week next april? Every year there will be 'requests' along these lines, and Len and the MoGang will do their best to accomidate some of them, but others will stay the same. They have done the best they could, wil most of them being volunteers and helping out PitBull while not getting any/minimal sleep.

I ask of you, politely make your requests for next year, but don't make a decision on coming next year based on your requests not being met. Len and the crew will do their best to accomidate everything, but as you can easily see, everyone is being pulled in 50 different directions.

I personally only attended the drag races and still, I had a great time. Even with getting soaked Saturday night where the only dry spot after ryding back from Price Cutter Ballpark to my hotel 15 miles away from each other, were the ends of my socks and my torso. My pants have been hanging for at least 25 hours and I don't think they're dry yet. Haha. But I'm never going to complain about hanging out here in Springfield with some of my Spyder family. :-)

My only request for next year isn't for PitBull or the MoGang. But its for everyone who is an owner....come out next year! Make it an even bigger challenge for PitBull and MoGang and the vendors to keep up with. That, and I want to be able to see more of my Spyder Family. :-)
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Default If it were in paradise

If it was held here in paradise, it would not rain or be too cold or hot. But those attending would most likely need to trailer their Spyders out of the frigid North. The dry season here in the keys runs December thru April with almost zero rain and most every day 60's at night and high 70's to 80 day. Those that plan may want to give the keys a look. Also the Resort here at Gilbert's is most likely large enough to handle the event. So there you go Lamont, come on down and take a look.
    Last edited by Captain Fin; 04-28-2013 at 06:40 AM.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fin View Post
    If it was held here in paradise, it would not rain or be too cold or hot. But those attending would most likely need to trailer their Spyders out of the frigid North. The dry season here in the keys runs December thru April with almost zero rain and most every day 60's at night and high 70's to 80 day. Those that plan may want to give the keys a look. Also the Resort here at Gilbert's is most likely large enough to handle the event. So there you go Lamont, come on down and take a look.
    If it is anything like your avatar then Key Largo is a place to visit with or without a Spyder(NICE!!!). The only catch is that the MOgang is in MO so there would probably have to be a new planning committee for Florida and that would be a can of worms no one wants to open.

Spyder Garage

Default Wettest month of the year is May

According to the internet May in Springfield has the most rain of the year!

Rain or Shine my hat's off to the MoGang and the Pitt Crew and all the volunteers and the vendors that worked to make SpyderFest a GREAT experience.

My only tip for Len is you light a bonfire from the bottom!

My wife and I had a great time and got to meet some great people.

JT

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't mind the rain in May...it's the COLD rain that is a problem. Besides, a little later Spyderfest would enable the Northern riders to ride down rather than trailer...or to come when they couldn't otherwise because of snow where they live. That said, GREAT job, MoGang. See you at the Owners Event.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Spyder Garage

Living in Missouri, I will concur; May and the first week or two of June can be worse than April -- not just dreary but downright dangerous weather!

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

Regardless of the weather, I had a blast, spent toooo much money, did I mention, I Had A Blast!!! Len, The Gang WORKED ALL HOURS FOR EVERYONE ELSE. For That We Are Grateful!!!! Never met a stranger which is the way of the Spyder Community...and The Mo Gang... Can't wait until next year.. Thanks!!!

Mike
    2011 RT LTD w/XM. And a heavily modified and happy owner.

Spyder Garage

I was unable to attend this year for medical reasons. I thought the weather was good for the last couple. Dates for events are always a "roll of the dice". You can only guess at the weather. Then other events, holidays and so on. I would not attend the Main GWRRA rally because it is always over the 4th of July. I will reserve that for local services. "klondye (sp?) Derby' derby in Boy scouts, using homemade sleds to "race" in January. Week end camp out. One year was a dourpour of rain, the next year had to cancelled because the day it was to start, the roads were blocked with 14 inches of snow. "Honda Hoot" one year had about 4 inches of water running in vendor area. Snow storm on the last day of a GWRRA rally, had been raining, people had to leave to go to work. Vintage days in Ohio, it was so hot, you left marks in the blacktop. Lot more had good to fair weather, all had great people interaction. My opinion on other comments. Indoor spaces, Nationial guard armorys ??, Comunity halls ??possible tents from a guard unit ??comerical tents, like at Owners events cost a lot, Possible open event spaces at motels, just my ideas. The one I would like to see is a " web site" that could accessed for information in any case. I understand that is more work/people needed.I have helped plan and head up many large events over the years. It takes many hours/days/months of planning for regular things, then a "what if" plan. Scouts had a "plan B" when things did not go as planned, but many times, you were plan on ZZZ before things were over. My helmet goes off to the planners/workers for this event. They deserve it. Also everyone might consider offering to help, at least a couple hours during a event. I have been at events where people were bitching about the "tables, not being set up" but not offering to help. End of my rant, but thanks again, Mo-gang all for the memories. Oldmanzues
    Last edited by Oldmanzues; 04-28-2013 at 07:23 PM.
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Having the event in May would greatly help us folks way up North. April is not motorcycle friendly here. If we want to attend Spyderfest in April we have to deal with temperatures in the 30's, the possibility of freezing rain or even snow, mud season, and roads that are still dangerously frost heaved with broken pavement and wheel eating potholes. Many of us are older now and not the road warriors we once were. My guess is that at least 75% of the people up North would not consider a long road trip in April which explains why there are so few of us at Spyderfest. Please consider moving the event to May and making it possible for so many more Spyderlovers to attend.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cool I VOTE FOR MOVING IT OUT WEST

How about moving it out west some place the weather is better out here.
    This past week it has been in the 80's & low 90's sunny and great riding
    weather in the Gold Country near lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Reno and such.
    You notice my logo has the sun in the background no rain drops here. hahahah
    Dave
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 04-28-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have been watching the weather posts closely. A hard thing for sure.

I do think April is a little early for some of the Northerners. There were some that had to dodge snowstorms and such on the way to the event. The other side--the tourist season has not fully kicked in there and hotels are more reasonable. The old 6 of 1/half dozen of the other syndrome.

No matter where you go, or when you do it--you cannot count on the weather to cooperate any more.

Each will have to make up their own minds about whether to attend or not. It does sound like a good time was had by most, regardless of the weather.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'd like to make two points: each one worth a penny a peace, of course. April was originally chosen as it is prior to the tourist season, therefore less expensive. The weather, on average is much more moderate in April. The average weather conditions for the last four SpyderFest's has been pretty good (sorry if this was your first as you have nothing to compare to).

The next point is about having nothing to do when it rains. I'd just like to point out that I have yet to meet anyone and have a good conversation while riding my bike. For some reason the bike always seems to be parked when I'm meeting people. Setting around a table with a cup of coffee or a beer has provided better meeting opportunities and conversation. One of my best memories will be (and has been) being cooped up inside the hotel spending time catching up with friends, and meeting new ones.

I personally, enjoyed every hour cooped up with this years (and past years) participants. Friends; old and new.

Big thanks to Len, Vanessa, their shop crew, the MOGang, vendors, and every one else who made this event possible once again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    I'd like to make two points: each one worth a penny a peace, of course. April was originally chosen as it is prior to the tourist season, therefore less expensive. The weather, on average is much more moderate in April. The average weather conditions for the last four SpyderFest's has been pretty good (sorry if this was your first as you have nothing to compare to).

The next point is about having nothing to do when it rains. I'd just like to point out that I have yet to meet anyone and have a good conversation while riding my bike. For some reason the bike always seems to be parked when I'm meeting people. Setting around a table with a cup of coffee or a beer has provided better meeting opportunities and conversation. One of my best memories will be (and has been) being cooped up inside the hotel spending time catching up with friends, and meeting new ones.

I personally, enjoyed every hour cooped up with this years (and past years) participants. Friends; old and new.

Big thanks to Len, Vanessa, their shop crew, the MOGang, vendors, and every one else who made this event possible once again.
    well said.
    Happy Owner