Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Power outlets installed

Thank you to my wonderful husband, I now have two power outlets on my dash.

Here is the plug from my tank bag plugged in

Here is the bag sitting on bjt's spyder and plugged in. It doesn't look that great because his spyder isn't equipped to hold the tank bag and it is just kind of sitting there. My spyder is still naked so I couldn't get it over there either, but you get the ides.

With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Power outlets installed

Quote Originally Posted by dltang
    Thank you to my wonderful husband, I now have two power outlets on my dash...

OK, you all inspired me again. :bigthumbsup:

I just couldn't see the advantages of putting a 12v outlet in the trunk considering GPS and cel phone use. I was also too tired (wood splitting) to disassemble everything just to drill the hole in the trunk from behind.

I mounted the 12v on the dash where dlt's left one is, nice and snug.

I did however (remember the "tired" part?) struggle for a half hour trying to clip zip ties and electrical tape to get enough slack from the harness up to the backside of the plug. When I was still 1/2 inch away, I called myself stupid, pulled the wires out, cut, spliced, and soldered a new 10 inch length in the middle. I found some wire cover in my toolbox left over from my 1970 Plymouth Duster--laughed at the fact that it matched; I guess flexible nylon convolute wire loom has been pretty universal for 38 years--and covered and rerouted my slice job.

I mounted the Garmin Nuvi suction cup mount right on the tach around 3 o'clock position. I can still read the whole speedo, and I can see the tach up to 4 grand.

(sorry--cel phone pic)

Turned the key. It didn't work. My cel phone charger didn't work.

I popped the fuse box lid and put in a 3v fuse into the e m p t y slot.

Huh. Everything worked!

There's a moral to this story about working on a Spyder while tired, but I'm too tired to figure it out...

Spyder Garage

Couple of questions; where did you get the outlets, and what size hole saw did it take? Oh, yeah, how waterproof are they?

Spyder Garage

We bought the outlets from Powerlet. I believe the hole size was 11/16". They sell the bit to drill the hole along with a ton of accessories for their power system. The outlets we bought are the STANDARD POWERLET SOCKET - PSO-001. I guess they are fairly waterproof but I haven't been using the outlet in the rain so I can't say for sure. I've hosed down the dash area while washing the Spyder and never had that pop the fuse or notice that the outlet is full of water after I'm done.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info, adding a lot of things to my list and the outlets are real close to the top.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

bjt,

Where did the Powerlets plug into? Did you use the stock system, or did you also install Evoluzione's PowerBus?

Spyder Garage

We both have the Evoluzion powerbus. When you install it right under the Spyder dash display per the directions, it is "right there" for hooking up the power outlets.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

bjt, cool. Thanks. How easy is the PowerBus install?

Spyder Garage

It wasn't too bad. About an hour or two, maybe. I can't recall for sure. The instructions were pretty clear. Certainly not the most difficult thing we have done. If and when you order the powerbus, I recommend you get the version with the ground bus built in. That way, all your wires for power outlets, GPS, radios, etc. can easily connect at a central location. Otherwise, you are hooking up the ground wires to various points on the Spyder which is evidently a benefit for some people but I don't know why.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    We both have the Evoluzion powerbus. When you install it right under the Spyder dash display per the directions, it is "right there" for hooking up the power outlets.
    I am thinking of doing the same thing on my 09 Spyder. Since it has been a while from your original post, I wonder if you have had any problems yet? I have emailed Ken asking a couple of questions, but wonder do they make more than one type of power bus since you said to order the one with the ground bus built in? Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Retread,I and a few others use the Eastern Beaver PC-8
    http://easternbeaver.com/ Look under fuse box kits
    It was a pretty simple installation and has everything you need built in. It has alot of flexibility on how you want to set it up. I highly recommend you order the relay kit with it and measure very carefully based on where you intend to mount it. I didn't and ended up mounting a place I really didn't want to. If I had to do it again I would order the kit with the 60" relay lead.
    Dick
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HD2CANAM View Post
    I am thinking of doing the same thing on my 09 Spyder. Since it has been a while from your original post, I wonder if you have had any problems yet? I have emailed Ken asking a couple of questions, but wonder do they make more than one type of power bus since you said to order the one with the ground bus built in? Thanks!

Absolutely ZERO problems with the Evoluzione Powerbus to date. At one time, Ken was talking about offering a fuseblock with a built in ground bus. Maybe he hasn't done that. I ended up buying a small ground bus at a local store (maybe a Radio Shack, can't quite remember) and screwing it down right next to his fuse block.

Those Eastern Beaver ones that wyliec and Trickie Dick are suggesting look good too. One advantage for the Evoluzione one is that he includes the wiring harness that is set up for the correct lengths and connectors to install on the Spyder along with Spyder specific instructions. A little easier for us shade tree mechanics.

Spyder Garage

Absolutely ZERO problems with the Evoluzione Powerbus to date. At one time, Ken was talking about offering a fuseblock with a built in ground bus. Maybe he hasn't done that. I ended up buying a small ground bus at a local store (maybe a Radio Shack, can't quite remember) and screwing it down right next to his fuse block.
    I just ordered Ken's power bus system plus his performance sway bar. If you happen to remember to remember the name and where you got the power bus, I would appreciate it if you would let me know. Thanks for everybody's help.

Spyder Garage

I'm going to use the powerlet outlets as well. Aside from weather resistance, the powerlets are designed to take the vibration of a motorcycle/atv. That ensures the male plugs from your devices do not slip out while riding.

The catch is that the powerlets are a smaller outlet and plug then the automotive 12v, so you have to modify some things to work with them or pay the extra coin for a pre-made power lead for your specific GPS, etc.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post

I recommend this one too.

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tank Bag

dltang

Where did you get the tank bag from?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bailed01 View Post
    dltang

Where did you get the tank bag from?
    That is a Can-Am tank bag that I added the power plugs to. I got that kit from Powerlet too, the same place we got the dash outlets. It wasn't hard at all.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How is the outlet installed and wired in the bag? Is the bag still removable or not because the outlet is hardwired to the bike?

Thanks for any instructions you can throw my way

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bailed01 View Post
    How is the outlet installed and wired in the bag? Is the bag still removable or not because the outlet is hardwired to the bike?

Thanks for any instructions you can throw my way
    It is a kit for putting outlets in the bag. I just unplug the bag and remove it like normal. Here are some photo's to give you the idea.

I hope these photos help. I just attach the bag like normal and then plug it into one of my powerlet outlets in the dash and then I use one of the inside cigarette adapters to plug in my appliance.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

O.K. now I get it

The additional pictures helped alot

Thanks so much

Spyder Garage

The catch is that the powerlets are a smaller outlet and plug then the automotive 12v, so you have to modify some things to work with them or pay the extra coin for a pre-made power lead for your specific GPS, etc.

I have the power bus and the sway bar, but not the powerlets. Must be getting senile because I was wondering why I didn't, then remembered reading the above quote from "WackyDan". I did not order them until I checked this out, Are the plug in"s openings actually smaller than a standard cigarette lighter for example?

Spyder Garage

Are the plug in"s openings actually smaller than a standard cigarette lighter for example?
    Yup, hole size for standard is about 1 1/16", powerlet takes about 11/16".

john

Spyder Garage

I have the power bus and the sway bar, but not the powerlets. Must be getting senile because I was wondering why I didn't, then remembered reading the above quote from "WackyDan". I did not order them until I checked this out, Are the plug in"s openings actually smaller than a standard cigarette lighter for example?
    My kit has the right size to plug the bag into the powerlet outlet. Inside the bag I have the regular cigarette size adapters for any applications I want to plug in. I like the smaller plug, it is a tighter, cleaner fit. Also, they have been waterproof so far.

Spyder Garage

As Retread said, they are smaller. Known popularly as BMW outlets. They are worth it on the road, though...very positive connection, and no loss of power when you hit bumps and no plugs coming out along the way. There are all kinds of adapters and special cords available, but you are right...they cost extra. many chargers now have a plug that will fit either kind of outlet. Worth every penny, IMHO.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!