Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RT-S Brake Failure

Got a "brake failure" flashing orange screen along with the red "!" icon. In checking the codes, it's throwing C1282. Parking brake and brakes work. Anybody know what that is or where I could find the answer?

Glynn
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

You may have low brake fluid. I have experienced the dreaded orange brake failure screen when going down a very steep incline. When I got the leveled off no problem. Checked out brake fluid container and it was low a tablespoon or so.

Hope its something simple like this to get your problem solved.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default RE: 2010 RT-S Brake Failure

Thanks. Level appears fine. Dealer indicates code suggests excessive brake travel and possible air in lines. Any thoughts/comments?
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Fill brake fluid to top with DOT4 fluid. It doesn't take much to set off sensor, mine did it on the way home from picking up the spyder. If that doesn't do it then bleed the brakes.
    brakes.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

C1282 = Brake Failure, low pressure detected

Most common cause is riding the brake pedal without actually putting pressure on it. Sometimes this can be cause by accumulated debris. It can also be caused by an improperly adjusted brake switch, a failed sensor, or an actual loss of hydraulic pressure due to a problem in a caliper or master cylinder. It could also indicate severely worn brake pads. Be sure you are not touching the brake pedal, be sure there is nothing lodged between the pedal and return stop to prevent its full return, and be sure the switch is not clogged with debris and that it has a tiny bit of free play before engaging. Inspect the brake pads. You cannot do this visually, as they are very thin anyway, they really should be measured. Minimum thickness is 1 mm. Beyond all this, see a dealer ASAP. If it is a hydraulic problem you could lose your brakes altogether quite suddenly.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 04-24-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Can't Help..!!

never can add much once Scotty has spoken..!! Good luck, the man knows his stuff..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post

Most common cause is riding the brake pedal without actually putting pressure on it.
    This happened to me. I was riding with my foot covering the brake pedal during an "interesting" ride on some very twisty Spanish back roads in the company of several 2-wheelers. I didn't know my foot was inadvertently touching the pedal and when the brake failure message lit up it came as a hell of a shock! A lesson not to be forgotten.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default A typical newbie trick

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    This happened to me. I was riding with my foot covering the brake pedal during an "interesting" ride on some very twisty Spanish back roads in the company of several 2-wheelers. I didn't know my foot was inadvertently touching the pedal and when the brake failure message lit up it came as a hell of a shock! A lesson not to be forgotten.
    This is a typical newbie happening . Apparently the grumpy computer can sense your foot covering the brake pedal even if you are but not exerting enough pressure to activate the brake lights. I did the same one night ride in the first week of being a Spyder owner. Now I just stop and take my right foot and move it to the right and the computer is happy. Nothing beats a happy computer, right ?

but love that stopping power moves the wife up real close!!! To bad they were not making them in the sixties when I was single and dating.......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    ...but love that stopping power moves the wife up real close!!!
    You mean it doesn't flash up a failure code when your load slides out of position? I'm SHOCKED!!

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE FAILURE FAULT CODE C1282

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post

Most common cause is riding the brake pedal without actually putting pressure on it. Sometimes this can be cause by accumulated debris. It can also be caused by an improperly adjusted brake switch, a failed sensor, or an actual loss of hydraulic pressure due to a problem in a caliper or master cylinder. It could also indicate severely worn brake pads. Be sure you are not touching the brake pedal, be sure there is nothing lodged between the pedal and return stop to prevent its full return, and be sure the switch is not clogged with debris and that it has a tiny bit of free play before engaging. Inspect the brake pads. You cannot do this visually, as they are very thin anyway, they really should be measured. Minimum thickness is 1 mm. Beyond all this, see a dealer ASAP. If it is a hydraulic problem you could lose your brakes altogether quite suddenly.
    I keep getting the brake failure when taking the out of park to put in gear. Bringing my 2011 RTS-SE5 back to the dealer, for a 2nd time, to check this. Happened to me again last night.