Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Malfunction

I was riding yesterday and the parking brake malfunction light came on and would not go off. I kept pushing the parking brake and I could hear it trying to set up but it would not engage therefore I did not have a parking brake. I was able to drive it. I tried to reset it through turning it off and on but to no avail. Any suggestions? She I just take it in and have it serviced? I appreciate your help.

Spyder Garage

Default Check..!!

cable routing. Some models the cable will jump off the guide wheel. Don't know what spyder you have but sounds like its in that area...RT have more involved...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Linda8802 View Post
    I was riding yesterday and the parking brake malfunction light came on and would not go off. I kept pushing the parking brake and I could hear it trying to set up but it would not engage therefore I did not have a parking brake. I was able to drive it. I tried to reset it through turning it off and on but to no avail. Any suggestions? She I just take it in and have it serviced? I appreciate your help.
    What year and model? You can always park it on a low gear (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    cable routing. Some models the cable will jump off the guide wheel. Don't know what spyder you have but sounds like its in that area...RT have more involved...good luck..!!
    Being an RT, it might be the problem. There is a service bulletin on this issue, so your dealer should be able to resolve it, no problems.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Like they said above. Sounds like the cable may have slipped off the rotor.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-29-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Help

I have a 2012 RT/AC. The brake has always gave me a little trouble but I thought it just took some time to get used to. Rick from cowtown said that once I get used to al the gadgets I would love it and I do. And, I tried putting it in first gear and I can still roll it. So I am not sure where to go from here. Thanks for your help and I welcome any suggestions. Linda

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Malfunction

Same year, model and issue as you. The great guys at Cowtown put a tie on the sprocket to keep the cable from jumping out of the groove. Never has happened again since their one minute fix.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake Pulley

Quote Originally Posted by Linda8802 View Post
    I have a 2012 RT/AC. The brake has always gave me a little trouble but I thought it just took some time to get used to. Rick from cowtown said that once I get used to al the gadgets I would love it and I do. And, I tried putting it in first gear and I can still roll it. So I am not sure where to go from here. Thanks for your help and I welcome any suggestions. Linda
    Re-seating the parking brake cable on the pulley is fairly simple....but only after once you have removed the mirror, lower deflector, mid, upper and lower panels on the right side of the bike.

It sounds like you have the SE5 transmission and the bike will indeed roll on an incline regardless of whether you put it in gear or not. The clutch does not engage on the SE5 below 1500 rpms. In the short term place a wheel chock (or rock) behind or in front of the back wheel until you get things fixed. I suggest that you bring it to your dealer and have them re-seat the cable on the pulley. Ask them if they are aware of any service bulletin addressing this issue. They should fix the issue permanently or at the very least re-seat the cable for you at no charge. Should be no more than a 15 minute job.

Good luck

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Service Bulliten

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    What year and model? You can always park it on a low gear (1st).

Being an RT, it might be the problem. There is a service bulletin on this issue, so your dealer should be able to resolve it, no problems.

Where are y'all getting these service bulletins? (2011 RTS SE5)
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5