Spyder Garage

Default Lower Ball Joints

Just got my ST-S back from the dealer after installing replacement lower ball joints, and was very pleased at the improvement in the handling. Almost all of the "twitchiness" is gone now. I have noticed, however, a sort of "helicopter" noise at speeds up around 60 MPH, which seems to come from the left front. The fender seems solidly attached, and I can see nothing amiss. I reported it to the dealer and the tech found a missing mounting bolt and replaced it, but I think the noise is still there. Something to watch for. Also, when I picked up the bike at the dealer today, I noticed the left white LED marker light was out. I pointed it out and they worked on it to see if maybe the tech forgot to reconnect the lead while working on the fender. They couldn't fix it and ordered a replacement. When I got home I checked it out and now it is ON? WTF? I just went out a while ago and turned on the ignition, and it is still working. Another mystery. Anyway, with just about 1,100 miles on the bike, I still like it and am pleased I bought it. On the way back from the break-in service, I got on it a bit to hard at a traffic light and ended up burning out. Unfortuantely, there was a cop nearby. My first Spyder ticket! I believe the nanny allows you to do that up until around 15MPH, and then kicks in.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron, I'm glad to hear that the new set of ball joints has brought the handling of your new bike up to par! Your LED marker light; most likely there's a connection that's a bit loose... check back from the light, and make sure that snyplace there's a connector; it's nice and tight.
    Helicopter noises? Have you looked up over your shoulder into the sky yet? maybe you've got a tire that's a bit low on air perhaps, or there's a problem with it's tread or belting?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Are you sure you are not just hearing the sound as the brake rotor vent holes pass the pads? If you can, ride the dealer's demo and see if it sounds the same. If not, have them look harder.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...forgot that one... Thanks Scotty!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks for the tips. In my conversation with the Dealer's Service yesterday afternoon, I was advised to rev the bike higher. I know it produces the best power around 7,000 RPM, but it just seemed better for fuel economy to get it into 5th gear around 50 MPH. But it isn't until around 55 that it gets up to 4,000 RPM. I think I will try running it in 4th up to maybe 60 or 65 and then shift to 5th. When you are in 5th at 55 MPH, it is certainly a smart idea to downshift to 4th when attempting a pass...lots more lively!

Spyder Garage

Default LOWER BALL JOINTS

Read the "Do's and Don'ts" posted by Illinois Boy regarding shifting points and RPM's. You may be excessively lugging the engine.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

I follwed the suggestions and read the Do's/Don'ts. Very informative. Whatever the "helicopter" sound was, it is gone now, so no worries. Took a 150 mile ride yesterday on a mix of curvy and straight roads. Loved using the cruise control. I kept my revs up and at times rode in lower gears than I would have before. I am trying to keep it at or above 4,300 RPM now. This is a lively bike! It almost seems like if there is a car length gap in fast traffic, when I am waiting on the side of the road to merge in....I can just gas it and hop right in! This son of a gun is pretty darned fast...especially if you keep the revs up!