Spyder Garage

Default I need some help please.

Before i begin as to why i need help I just want to congratulate Lamonster on the success of this forum. When i clicked on general discussions and i believe i counted 30 threads ( i'am tired so not sure ) and out of the 30 i only recognized 4 names. So i see the sight is still growing.
    O.K. Here is why i need help my 2010 se5 2.0 (my version) The trans shifts just fine but the clutch plates are slipping if i have to get on it to pass another vehicle. So i took it to the shop and it was confirmed. Now i asked what was in volved to do the job order parts and he mentioned one of the parts has to be changed out which allows the oil to get thru the trans and lube the plates better. So if this part is causing a defect why was their not a recall or was their one and i missed the boat. Any info that someone can provide i would be grateful. P.S. i was told once the parts are in the job is about 2 hours?
    THANK YOU ALL.

Roger

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Roger,
    It's good to hear from you again! I believe that the SE-5s have received an upgrade of some sort in the clutch plates Department; but I'm not sure which thread contains that information... This is a pretty recent development; I'm pretty sure that somebody will be able to provide you with some useful information.
    Good Luck! Please let us know how this all sorts out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There is an improved clutch kit for the SE, and one for the SM, too. In addition to a revised clutch oil jet, it has an additional clutch plate and disk, and the plates have been changed to steel from aluminum. This is an improvement, not a "cure" for some defect...just an enhanced design. The old clutches do not have a defect that assures failure, but with low rpm operation on the SE, some have been found to overheat, and fail as a result. There is no warranty campaign for these, but there is a technical service bulletin explaining the new clutch kits.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 04-16-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry..!!

If Scotty speaks I can only listen..seldom could I add anything...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just KNEW that Scotty would have the answer!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The old clutches do not have a defect that assures failure, but with low rpm operation on the SE, some have been found to overhea,t and fail as a result. There is no warranty campaign for these, but there is a technical service bulletin explaining the new clutch kits.
    ...or shorter, "we, the Guinea pigs".
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Oh my god its great to see some familiar names Nancystoy,Bob and Doc Thanks for the info has anybody done this upgrade and is their a difference? Heck i just found out about the new filter for the tranny and the new cover. I overheard that their is new computer upgrade that the dealer has for all spyders but i did not here what it is for exactly. I want to point out at a quick glance some of the new sponsors on here and 1 caught my eye and i'am sure it is a fine product But how does anyone justify a cup holder $95.00 - $147.00 Don't get me wrong bless them if they sell but i will stick with my $15.00 one

Roger

Spyder Garage

Scotty If the oil jet is not doing enough to cool the plates which i suspect then i believe that using a pure synthetic could help to flow the oil more easly (wheres my spell check)

Roger

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Scotty If the oil jet is not doing enough to cool the plates which i suspect then i believe that using a pure synthetic could help to flow the oil more easly (wheres my spell check)
    The new oil jet sprays in a different place than the previous one...possibly as a result of the differnt positions brought on by the additional clutch plate. While there may well be other reasons, I would not second guess the BRP engineers as to why they did what. I may be able to tell you what they did, but not why they did it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey, Rog you going to the Chatterbox this summer?

Spyder Garage

Hey Bob

Did Scotty call us "old Clutches"?

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Hey, Rog you going to the Chatterbox this summer?
    bob, only three weeks away!