Spyder Garage

Default Check DPS ??? What now??

My wife and I were just heading out for a Sunday ride and were about 5 miles out of town when the Check DPS message was displayed and the Check Engine light came on. I turned around and it went into Limp Home mode. I was able to get home and parted it for several hours. After doing some research here on the site, I found how to check the codes (not that would know that to do with them ). Went back out and turned on the key, no Check Engine light or Check DPS message. Started it up and drove it down the street. No issues there either. Guess I'm going to take it to the dealer Tuesday once they open and let them check it out. I have to get this working before Spyderfest. Not going to miss two years in a row.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ParDuff View Post
    My wife and I were just heading out for a Sunday ride and were about 5 miles out of town when the Check DPS message was displayed and the Check Engine light came on. I turned around and it went into Limp Home mode. I was able to get home and parted it for several hours. After doing some research here on the site, I found how to check the codes (not that would know that to do with them ). Went back out and turned on the key, no Check Engine light or Check DPS message. Started it up and drove it down the street. No issues there either. Guess I'm going to take it to the dealer Tuesday once they open and let them check it out. I have to get this working before Spyderfest. Not going to miss two years in a row.
    What year is your Spyder?

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

You didn't mention what year or model you have, however, I have a 2012 rt-s and the same thing happened to it. Took it to my dealer.......the tech put the BUDS on it and found the rear wheel speed sensor threw 258 faults. He ordered a new one and replaced it and haven't had a repeat since. He also put an ohm meter on the old one and found a big delta between the new and the old.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Guys, you can click on the username, view his previous posts and see that he's got a 2011 RT SE5.

Spyder Garage

The year doesn't matter. These warnings are technically unrelated. They could be caused by riding conditions (long sweeping curve, high wind, etc.), by low battery voltage, by electrical or magnetic interference, by actual mechanical or electrical problems, or by a combination of things. Without an active fault code to relate to, we can't pin it down more closely. If it happens again, the OP should have the dealer look at the stored fault codes in BUDS, and try to shed some light on it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I forgot the year and model. It's a 2011 RT. I did some phone calls to the dealer and they said that they have seen a few Sypders that showed the message and showed no faults. The dealer did not believe it to be an issue unless it did it again.

I called Len at PitBull and asked his opinion and he thought it was not an issue either. He said he could force the message on any Spyder. He thought I might have picked up a rock or something that fit the DPS unit just right.

Wish now I had just turned off the Spyder and started it again (causes a reset). At least I would havae been able to drive faster than 20 mph home.

I may have the PitBull Crew put it on the computer to see if there are any issues next week while at Spyderfest.

It's been running fine all week.Both at city speeds and highway.Go figure.
    Last edited by ParDuff; 04-17-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

BTW, it's been running fine all week. Both at city speeds and highway. Go figure.
    Last edited by ParDuff; 04-17-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: updated previous message to include the statement