Thread: Aaaaaagh!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Aaaaaagh!!!

Out for a nice ride this afternoon and stop for gas. We go to leave.....and the won't fire up!

Five minutes later (mulemanskatie even gets out the manual)....I finally think to check the dreaded "red button of death".
    Apparently "someone" bumped it while dismounting. WHEN will I start checking for that first instead of last?????
    "....never joke with mules or cooks...they have no sense of humor."

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Aaaaaagh!!!

It has gotten a lot of us. Now that its happened to you, You will remember from now on.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UKBLUE1 View Post
    It has gotten a lot of us. Now that its happened to you, You will remember from now on.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Or... Someone did you a 'Favor'. Beware of this at Spyderfest.. Just a word to the wise.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Check for neutral first then kill switch.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by muleman1 View Post
    Out for a nice ride this afternoon and stop for gas. We go to leave.....and the won't fire up!

Five minutes later (mulemanskatie even gets out the manual)....I finally think to check the dreaded "red button of death".
    Apparently "someone" bumped it while dismounting. WHEN will I start checking for that first instead of last?????
    You will start checking it first when you learn to shut off the Spyder using the kill switch. If you do that, it becomes second nature for shutting down the engine in case of a serious problem, and it becomes the first thing you do after you turn the key on.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This kind of goes back to the basics....

F.I.N.E - C

Fuel
    Ignition
    Neutral
    Engine cut off
    Clutch

Honestly, those of you that don't use the cut off switch for shut down, should really work on using it. It's a good habit to get into knowing that switch without thinking of it...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post

F.I.N.E - C

Fuel
    Ignition
    Neutral
    Engine cut off
    Clutch

Honestly, those of you that don't use the cut off switch for shut down, should really work on using it. It's a good habit to get into knowing that switch without thinking of it...
    I'm afraid of wearing it out!
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmbanker View Post
    I'm afraid of wearing it out!
    I just looked it up....It's $144.49 If your worried about wearing it out, pick up a spare....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You just joined a club with many members , but of course not me, no never

Spyder Garage

Things like that do happen from time to time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Look at it this way; it really cost you very little to learn that lesson...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I Know the Feel!!!

All I Can Say Is BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!!!

Spyder Garage

Guilty as Suspected
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kubie View Post
    All I Can Say Is BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!!!
    about sums it up for most of us, and the ones that don't admit it's happened to them, well----

Spyder Garage

Default For sure..!!

Even those who don't admit have had it happen. The thing is how long it takes you to figure it out..!!! Rest assured it will happen again but you will figure it out right away..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Kill Switch

We've all done it at one time or another! I had my "brain cramp" moment right in front of our HD group, and the nickname "brain cramp" has been with me ever since!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I haven't done that since I use the kill switch to shut the bike off... BUT... the first time starting it after this winter, I went through my mental checklist. Waited for the computer to boot-up and hit start and nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Same feeling... what the heck is going on? Battery under-charged? What is it?

I sat there and stared at the screen trying to figure out what is wrong... until it dawned on me to hit the mode-button.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Default Adult beverages

I found it can take longer to figure out after a few adult beverages.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Spyder Garage

After spending the last 30 years riding snowmobile, I use the kill switch all the time.
    That mode button will drive me insane though..........

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup, guilty. Also, on the first ryde away from home, I forgot to step on the brake, and had to call a neighbor for starting instructions! And YUP, it was with my HD buddy... in fact HE made the call!

But now at 2,7xx miles I've gotten into the habit of immediately setting the kill-switch back 'on' as soon as the engine dies. I use the kill-switch to keep the display turned on, so I can review a couple screens first... stuff that I shouldn't be doing when my eyes belong on the road.
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I will never forget the first and only time that happened to me but was on a sport quad rippin' thru the woods. I was several miles in and hit a rock. My hand came of the grip and inadvertently hit the kill switch. Quad just died. Sat there trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with the machine and contemplating the long walk out of the woods. After a couple of minutes I figured it out. DUH! When I rode with the group someone would always have their fuel shut off when they weren't paying attention. Preferably just prior to a large water crossing or mud hole! Entertainment of the "highest quality"!Sure wish the Spyder had one of those. But, it would be too dangerous to do that to someone if the machine died in traffic or a busy intersection.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default R U Saying?

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Or... Someone did you a 'Favor'. Beware of this at Spyderfest.. Just a word to the wise.

That there are practical jokers amongst the Spyder Community?

if it were to happen to me I would scream, "Harley Davidson terrorists!"

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post

F.I.N.E - C

Fuel
    Ignition
    Neutral
    Engine cut off
    Clutch

And for the shut down it's Thumb Key Valve. Spyders skip that valve step of course so, I guess we could make it Thumb, Brake, Key.
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    Photographer and horse rider.
    2012 RT , Blue