Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top Speed

Spyder Garage

Default Top speed

Quote Originally Posted by SGSpyderGirl View Post
    This past weekend I did a ride with a group of 12 bikes (course i was the only spyder) and did a lot of open roads and what not and decided to see what the top speed was on the spyder and it seemed to top out in 5th gear at 110 (kinda sucked because I got left by the few busa's, R1's etc) The only thing it seemed to surpass was the one 250 and 600 that was in the group. Didnt know if anyone else had opened up their spyder to see what its top speed was. Mine is a 2008 so im not sure if the newer ones vary.
    I know its acceleration couldnt keep up with the faster bikes at all, I think all of them even the smaller ones had it on that, or maybe its operator error lol still learning its gearing really of what it likes and doesnt.

Did do some pretty hard twisties with it to on the opposite end of the ride, few times it had me nervous and I think I will be adjusting the suspension to handle tight turns a tad better

I saw 123 a few times on my 2009 SE5
    -2013 RSS , Green & Black

Spyder Garage

I have 2012 RT Limited had my up to 100 that plent fast for me.
    Homer Hill

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That fastest I have gone was 121mph, that 's what the speedo said; I need to radar it or have someone tail me in a car. I'm 250lbs, I was surprised to see how fast I was going. It would be a bummer to find out my speedo was/is off .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just remember; A lot of Guardian Angels can't fly that fast...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baldeagle55 View Post
    sport bikes should be outlawed
    Gtfo!!!! Do you need the government to save you? North Korea has a well structured set of rules to follow. We'd be happy to send you
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    Gtfo!!!! Do you need the government to save you? North Korea has a well structured set of rules to follow. We'd be happy to send you
    Everybody is entitled to an opinion... "GTFO"??
    Personally; I wouldn't own or ride one myself; but they are pretty to look at!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Everybody is entitled to an opinion... "GTFO"??
    Personally; I wouldn't own or ride one myself; but they are pretty to look at!
    That's why I expressed my opinion bob maybe I'm a little aggressive for the spyder forum crowd?
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just sayin...
    Where I'm from; that's not exactly the kind of thing said in Polite Company...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Just sayin...
    Where I'm from; that's not exactly the kind of thing said in Polite Company...
    I'll tone it down.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I stopped smoking [1970] so they should be outlawed, I stopped riding sport bikes so they should be outlawed, And some day the inevitable will happen and have stop ridding trikes, so they should be outlawed.[after i can't ride]
    Never broke a bone on a sport bike, Did on snowmobiles. So........

Remember it's not the machine that's dangerous , It's the nut riding it...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ARCTIC, PM sent...
    ... And I should apologize out here too for jumping like that. It wasn't right of me.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Did you keep?

Did you keep the RevS up high all the time?

another trick is to find out when YOUR engine enters it's peak power curve and runs out of it. Running past the peak of the curve is counter productive as is running under it. That is if you want to be competitive which is totally up to you.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Not quite sure what to think about top end on the Spyder...If I recall correctly Doc hit 117 on the speed trials on the Salt Flats with a highly modified motor...What gives?...Is it due to the quarter mile on the flats versus getting up to speed on the longer run? Curious minds want to know.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    Not quite sure what to think about top end on the Spyder...If I recall correctly Doc hit 117 on the speed trials on the Salt Flats with a highly modified motor...What gives?...Is it due to the quarter mile on the flats versus getting up to speed on the longer run? Curious minds want to know.
    The run a the salt flats [Bonneville] Isn't 1/4 mile, It's a flying mile. You run the vehicle at speed though a mile long timing trap, One run up and one run down to measure top speed, I think Doc holds the record at 133 mph. give or take?

Spyder Garage

I got to 126 on long highway

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default It all about power to weight

It is simple Power to weight ratio. Super bikes will always blow these bikes away. I have ridden super bikes from zx7r to gsxr1100's I used to buy a new one every other year from 1985 up until a few years ago. I lost my whole right leg and pelvis due to my dumb self, corvette, and a telephone pole. LOL. So now I am driving a spyder 2009 gs/rs, it has a two brothers pipe and juice box but it will never touch any of the bikes I used to ride. I love the bike but it is slow compared to them but you put any cruiser next to me and I will blow it away. It all comes down to power to weight know what they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tommyoneleg View Post
    It is simple Power to weight ratio. Super bikes will always blow these bikes away. I have ridden super bikes from zx7r to gsxr1100's I used to buy a new one every other year from 1985 up until a few years ago. I lost my whole right leg and pelvis due to my dumb self, corvette, and a telephone pole. LOL. So now I am driving a spyder 2009 gs/rs, it has a two brothers pipe and juice box but it will never touch any of the bikes I used to ride. I love the bike but it is slow compared to them but you put any cruiser next to me and I will blow it away. It all comes down to power to weight know what they are.
    Acceleration is about power to weight ratios. Top speed is more power to drag...mostly wind resistance. A very heavy vehicle with minimal power can go very fast if it is slippery enough and has a long enough run. A Spyder has an uphill road to climb in either category...It is relatively heavy (compared to a sport bike) and has the aerodynamics of a sheet of tattered plywood being pushed perpendicular to its surface.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Had my ST ltd up to 125...backed off voluntarily, but she was still wanting to give more. Im on a stock setup...no slip on exhaust or juicebox. Just good ol' Premium Unleaded

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Acceleration is about power to weight ratios. Top speed is more power to drag...mostly wind resistance. A very heavy vehicle with minimal power can go very fast if it is slippery enough and has a long enough run. A Spyder has an uphill road to climb in either category...It is relatively heavy (compared to a sport bike) and has the aerodynamics of a sheet of tattered plywood being pushed perpendicular to its surface.
    A spider has an uphill climb only because of the gear setting, the sprocket set up needs to be adjusted, that alone would change everything. As for the aerodynamics of the bike it is not as bad as you are trying to make it. Replacing the engine and taking it over to a chain driven bike would make this bike would it should be. Doing so it not a lot of work if you know a little about fabricating some parts and a little frame work. They should have designed this bike with a sport rider in mind not a cruiser in mind or at the very least they should have to completely separate designs. If you put enough horse power on a sheet of tattered plywood I bet it would go fast, it is really only power to weight and gearing if you follow that you can get a garbage can to go fast.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tommyoneleg View Post
    A spider has an uphill climb only because of the gear setting, the sprocket set up needs to be adjusted, that alone would change everything. As for the aerodynamics of the bike it is not as bad as you are trying to make it. Replacing the engine and taking it over to a chain driven bike would make this bike would it should be. Doing so it not a lot of work if you know a little about fabricating some parts and a little frame work. They should have designed this bike with a sport rider in mind not a cruiser in mind or at the very least they should have to completely separate designs. If you put enough horse power on a sheet of tattered plywood I bet it would go fast, it is really only power to weight and gearing if you follow that you can get a garbage can to go fast.
    I respectfully disagree. You cannot argue with physics and math. The Spyder is filthy, aerodynamically speaking, and has three times the frontal area of a bike. As speed increases, the power requirements rise as an exponential function of the drag. You have to add gobs and gobs of horsepower, or you have to cheat the wind. In drag racing it is different. Aerodynamics enters into it at speed, but the power to weight ratio and the traction rule. I have raced for many decades...including drag racing and land speed racing. I have built dozens of successful racing motorcycles, cars, boats, and sleds. These are solid principles, based in physics and math. To paraphrase an old adage, racers that ignore them try hard, racers that understand them go fast.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The frontal area alone will kill you on WFO runs without spending cubinc dollars for more horsepower...
    So why not just enjoy them for what they are?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greatrides View Post
    I ride a 2012 rs se5 I'm 255 pounds and it did 117 mph......
    ditto bike, ditto body weight plus 5, and 3 mph less!

Spyder Garage

Drag increases as the square of speed. That is, while power increases in a linear fashion, drag increases exponentially with speed, in a parabolic function. For example (neglecting the effect of rolling resistance), if 100 horsepower would push a certain vehicle 100 miles per hour through the air, doubling the speed to 200 would require two-squared or 400 horsepower to overcome air resistance, while 300 miles per hour would require 900 horsepower.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now we're back to Math-sounding stuff again! math.jpg
    But of course; you ARE correct!

Spyder Garage

The F4 Phantom was proof that if you put a big enough engine on a brick you can do Mach 2.