Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top Speed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SGSpyderGirl View Post
    This past weekend I did a ride with a group of 12 bikes (course i was the only spyder) and did a lot of open roads and what not and decided to see what the top speed was on the spyder and it seemed to top out in 5th gear at 110 (kinda sucked because I got left by the few busa's, R1's etc) The only thing it seemed to surpass was the one 250 and 600 that was in the group. Didnt know if anyone else had opened up their spyder to see what its top speed was. Mine is a 2008 so im not sure if the newer ones vary.
    I know its acceleration couldnt keep up with the faster bikes at all, I think all of them even the smaller ones had it on that, or maybe its operator error lol still learning its gearing really of what it likes and doesnt.

Did do some pretty hard twisties with it to on the opposite end of the ride, few times it had me nervous and I think I will be adjusting the suspension to handle tight turns a tad better
    I wouldn't feel bad about getting smoked by a bike that will do what your spyder will do before it is even through 3rd gear.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Spyder Garage

My personal best, 123. DocDoru's world record is 123.something.

As for ryding with sport bikes. I did a dealership ride a couple years ago in San Diego. I went with the 'more spirited' group. And we went out Smuggler's Run, aka Hwy 94. I was told by one of them during a break that he thought to himself, 'this is going to suck, I'm behind the Spyder'....and then I took off. :-) never dropped below 6th of the 15 or so Sport bikes that were with us in the group.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Default TOP SPEED

When I bought my 2011 RS~S in Dec 2012 for the first 15 miles I could only do 30 ~ 35 MPH....... in the 2" or so of snow. But after I finally got it down to the low lands of Utah I cracked the throttle a little more.... Still new on I was hesitant to find top end... So I rode on. Finally in Texas early one morning at a fuel stop and sandwich, an old man came up to me to check out my Looking at the Dash and seeing 200, he asked, "Can it really do 200"? "How fast can it go"? My reply was ............................. " HOLD ON FAST " as I cracked the throttle and left 50' of STREEEEEEEEEK to remember this

Spyder Garage

Default topping out

2009 se5 touring windshield givi bags and my 305 backside on board totally stock 115 speedo and 112 gps

Spyder Garage

Default Video Of Wheel Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    I don't think these Spyder speedos are accurate. My wife road along side me on the interstate in the SUV, and I thought she was speeding (cause my speedo said 80mph). When we got home, she said I wasn't going fast and that when she was beside me her speedo read 73mph.

This would mean my Spyder is 7mph off at high speeds.
    I watched the video of the Spyder running with the wheel lights, (VERY KOOL) and when I went to the other sites, I didn't see where or how to obtain the wheel lights. I saw the motorcycle lights, but not the wheel lights.
    Sorry,I can't find it. Could you please advise.
    Thanks
    Ron

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The only thing I can get up to 200 is my bathroom scale

Spyder Garage

Default slow

My spyder is slow also, topped out at about 117 indicated. I guess I am too use to the speed triple and the ducati.
    Stay Safe!

PaulB

2011 Orange/Black Spyder RS-S

Spyder Garage

I know mine will do at least 110, but it is the acceleration on the bottom end is what raises the hairs on the back of my neck
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Swap to the metric scale on the instruments and you"ll feel much better?
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SGSpyderGirl View Post
    This past weekend I did a ride with a group of 12 bikes (course i was the only spyder) and did a lot of open roads and what not and decided to see what the top speed was on the spyder and it seemed to top out in 5th gear at 110 (kinda sucked because I got left by the few busa's, R1's etc) The only thing it seemed to surpass was the one 250 and 600 that was in the group. Didnt know if anyone else had opened up their spyder to see what its top speed was. Mine is a 2008 so im not sure if the newer ones vary.
    I know its acceleration couldnt keep up with the faster bikes at all, I think all of them even the smaller ones had it on that, or maybe its operator error lol still learning its gearing really of what it likes and doesnt.

Did do some pretty hard twisties with it to on the opposite end of the ride, few times it had me nervous and I think I will be adjusting the suspension to handle tight turns a tad better
    The original 2008 RS/GS were advertised as being limited to 100mph. To test that I took mine easily up to an honest 114mph (about120 plus on the speedo) and it was still accelerating. Yours may in fact be built with the as advertised speed limiter in it. There seemed to be a lot of variance in the early 2008 Spyders production.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

i think my RS topped out at 119 and the RT would not run over 115. on the GPS. Plenty fast enough to get into trouble though. I kept the Busa for when I really had a dumb moment ( or A FEW OF THEM) and it topped out at 217 on the gps, but thats after a ton of work and money. The Spyder was fun enough though.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobnaquin View Post
    The original 2008 RS/GS were advertised as being limited to 100mph. To test that I took mine easily up to an honest 114mph (about120 plus on the speedo) and it was still accelerating. Yours may in fact be built with the as advertised speed limiter in it. There seemed to be a lot of variance in the early 2008 Spyders production.
    There is no speed limiter, There is a rpm limiter.

Spyder Garage

there is always the Turbo mod to get more get up and go - 5k$
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” Edward Burke

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does it really matter? Riders will lie about: Top Speed, Fuel Economy, Handling Capability, How pretty the girl was that they slept with last night, and pretty much anything else! I've got a client who SWEARS that his 2008 GS was radared at 137 mph... Told him to take it to Bonneville and get his name in the record books...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

112 on the dial, 110 on the GPS. Gotta love interstates in Ohio-- flat, straight, and I was nowhere near the fastest vehicle that day.

Of course, that was just a one-time test. I'll ride over 70 no problem, over 80 in a pinch, even see 90 if passing, but I don't like living up there-- too great a risk of *dying* up there, IMHO.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Does it really matter? Riders will lie about: I've got a client who SWEARS that his 2008 GS was radared at 137 mph... Told him to take it to Bonneville and get his name in the record books...
    Bob,

I told you that in confidence; you're such a tattle tail.

Spyder Garage

Default Speed

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    I think you should sell your spyder, if you are worried about sport bikes going too fast then you should realize that if you get hit by a prius at 30mph you could be just as dead.. If we are are making goverment policy on here the first 3 things that should be outlawed are alcohol, cigarettes and fast food... but seeing we aren't you should keep your difference of opinion in with the touring side of things you are on.
    my 09 se5 when my speedo is at 118 mph is really going 113 mph according to a radar gun.
    my speedo at 127 is really 119.2 according to the salt flats.
    I was out in Bonneville with SethO when he made his run. I also had the opportunity to run mine out on one of Nevada's roads. I got about to 120mph (via the speedometer). I had a bit of a tailwind.

One easy (lawful) way to estimate your theoretical top speed is to note your RPMs and speed. For example, let's say you are running at 4500rpm in 5th gear and your speed is 62mph. If you multiply by 2 your rpm will be 9000 (red line) and your speed would be 124mph. This method, of course, doesn't take aerodynamic drag into account but it does give you a good estimate of your max speed. IMHO

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    Swap to the metric scale on the instruments and you"ll feel much better?
    Thanks for bringing this up. Way back when, I rode a BSA for the first time. The spedometer went flying through 100 10 times ( seemed like) faster then my HD 80 inch flat head. It just wanted to keep going. I decided the Fla cops would not like this or my USAF commander, so I slowed down. Then the owner said, it was a metric speedo. I had no idea what that meant, so he explained that. I also found out, a 650cc is not bigger then a 80 cubic inch engine.
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Bob,
    I told you that in confidence; you're such a tattle tail.
    But in your case; you weren't lying!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

zrc

Default GPS not Speedo

I think the speedo can be off pending your setup.

I have been around 118 on my speedo, based on my regular driving, passing cops, and "oh shizz" moments I believe my speedo to be off by somewhere near 8% to 10% of speed stated, therefore it scales up in its incorrectness.

Push the bike as hard as you like without red lining the RPMs and blowing the engine. that is my motto.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    I was out in Bonneville with SethO when he made his run. I also had the opportunity to run mine out on one of Nevada's roads. I got about to 120mph (via the speedometer). I had a bit of a tailwind.

One easy (lawful) way to estimate your theoretical top speed is to note your RPMs and speed. For example, let's say you are running at 4500rpm in 5th gear and your speed is 62mph. If you multiply by 2 your rpm will be 9000 (red line) and your speed would be 124mph. This method, of course, doesn't take aerodynamic drag into account but it does give you a good estimate of your max speed. IMHO
    Very difficult to get many production vehicles up to redline in high gear. This may be a good estimate of the potential top speed, but when the drag, which increases as a function of the square of the speed, overcomes the horsepower, your tach isn't gonna go any higher unless your clutch starts to slip.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Top end

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Does it really matter? Riders will lie about: Top Speed, Fuel Economy, Handling Capability, How pretty the girl was that they slept with last night, and pretty much anything else! I've got a client who SWEARS that his 2008 GS was radared at 137 mph... Told him to take it to Bonneville and get his name in the record books...
    Great response to all the above.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQAndy View Post
    My speedo is usually within 1 or 2 mph of my GPS.
    Im to fat for a speedo, uh ummm oops, we were talking speedometers!!! My Bad!!! Bows head in shame!!!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Very entertainment posts...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!