Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top Speed

Spyder Garage

Default Top Speed

This past weekend I did a ride with a group of 12 bikes (course i was the only spyder) and did a lot of open roads and what not and decided to see what the top speed was on the spyder and it seemed to top out in 5th gear at 110 (kinda sucked because I got left by the few busa's, R1's etc) The only thing it seemed to surpass was the one 250 and 600 that was in the group. Didnt know if anyone else had opened up their spyder to see what its top speed was. Mine is a 2008 so im not sure if the newer ones vary.
    I know its acceleration couldnt keep up with the faster bikes at all, I think all of them even the smaller ones had it on that, or maybe its operator error lol still learning its gearing really of what it likes and doesnt.

Did do some pretty hard twisties with it to on the opposite end of the ride, few times it had me nervous and I think I will be adjusting the suspension to handle tight turns a tad better
    Arcturus - 2008 Millennium Yellow Can Am Spyder GS

Spyder Garage

The best i could get out of mine was 105 mph 20012rt

Spyder Garage

Default TOP SPEED

my 2009 RS tops out at 75 mph...... it has a 'RESTRICTOR' on it.... and that restrictor would be: ME...
    if you're looking for a ROCKET, you bought the wrong ryde... although it's plenty fast for me, it is not for everyone...
    plz ryde carefully...
    SAM_0318.jpg

Spyder Garage

I tested mine out last year (08 GS SM5) and best I can remember I got it up to around 117mph. At the time I had the sport windshield on so a little lower than what came stock and I was practically laying on the center Y panel with my chin very close to the bars so as close as you can get to a full tuck position on a Spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default speed

Quote Originally Posted by SGSpyderGirl View Post
    This past weekend I did a ride with a group of 12 bikes (course i was the only spyder) and did a lot of open roads and what not and decided to see what the top speed was on the spyder and it seemed to top out in 5th gear at 110 (kinda sucked because I got left by the few busa's, R1's etc) The only thing it seemed to surpass was the one 250 and 600 that was in the group. Didnt know if anyone else had opened up their spyder to see what its top speed was. Mine is a 2008 so im not sure if the newer ones vary.
    I know its acceleration couldnt keep up with the faster bikes at all, I think all of them even the smaller ones had it on that, or maybe its operator error lol still learning its gearing really of what it likes and doesnt.

Did do some pretty hard twisties with it to on the opposite end of the ride, few times it had me nervous and I think I will be adjusting the suspension to handle tight turns a tad better
    they do have a speed limit and sport bikes should be outlawed

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe 118/120 mph and that's what the speedo says and not reality., Unless you have a modified Spyder like Doc, And do the flying mile at Bonneville.
    Bye the way i Had a Bussa, It will out run any bike, If the rider is crazy enough.

Spyder Garage

total weight to horsepower ratio + operator ability + site seeing ability + staying alive = top speed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    my 2009 RS tops out at 75 mph...... it has a 'RESTRICTOR' on it.... and that restrictor would be: ME...
    if you're looking for a ROCKET, you bought the wrong ryde... although it's plenty fast for me, it is not for everyone...
    plz ryde carefully...
    SAM_0318.jpg
    wasnt looking for a "fast bike" I originally came from a HD that I had for four years, just was curious on the stock end as what the sypder could do and opened it up the one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Joe View Post
    I tested mine out last year (08 GS SM5) and best I can remember I got it up to around 117mph. At the time I had the sport windshield on so a little lower than what came stock and I was practically laying on the center Y panel with my chin very close to the bars so as close as you can get to a full tuck position on a Spyder.
    Yeah I wasnt down much on mine probably as much as should have been, prob. had alot of drag im sure

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Maybe 118/120 mph and that's what the speedo says and not reality., Unless you have a modified Spyder like Doc, And do the flying mile at Bonneville.
    Bye the way i Had a Bussa, It will out run any bike, If the rider is crazy enough.
    Kinda figured that as much, there are vehicles that say a certain speed and dont really do that. Im a fan of busa's but they are just a little to big for me on two wheels and its hard to keep up with them since they are "straight lined" bikes.
    Arcturus - 2008 Millennium Yellow Can Am Spyder GS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SGSpyderGirl View Post

That's about right. No way will they Spyders stay with the sports bikes. Now you can outrun some of the cruisers. I have a friend with a 08 model that stays pretty close to my Valkyrie up to 90 and then I pull away from him. Now on curves someone that can ride a Spyder Would probably beat me in curves.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default That's about right..!!

and now you know.. Plenty fast for what it was intended for. Has awesome get up and go and at my age I no longer need to get where I'm going before I left...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Top Speed

I tested my 2013 RT and topped out at 200MPH... It was then my alarm went off and I realized I was dreaming hahahahaha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ride a 2012 rs se5 I'm 255 pounds and it did 117 mph......

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMay View Post
    I tested my 2013 RT and topped out at 200MPH... It was then my alarm went off and I realized I was dreaming hahahahaha

Yea 200 MPH, only in your sleep

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

yeah.... when I am highway driving I wish there was a 6th gear.... it does seem to scream in 5th between 80-90 (I've never gone past that)...
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Haven't had mine up past 90 yet, but it felt like it still had some oomph to go. Aren't they electronically limited to 110, IIRC?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMay View Post

This is more like it.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

I don't think these Spyder speedos are accurate. My wife road along side me on the interstate in the SUV, and I thought she was speeding (cause my speedo said 80mph). When we got home, she said I wasn't going fast and that when she was beside me her speedo read 73mph.

This would mean my Spyder is 7mph off at high speeds.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

Top speed for me has been 90-95--one time. I have never pushed the to the limiter.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Lol... she asked a simple question, not for your opionion or view on safety. My RT tops out at 95 by GPS. It gets there in a hurry but thats all she wrote when I get close to the mark.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For some reason most motorcycle (Can Am included) speedos are calibrated to read high. I've had as much as +10% on my bikes. OTOH, I've had Harley riders report their speedos are pretty accurate, go figure.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baldeagle55 View Post
    they do have a speed limit and sport bikes should be outlawed
    I think you should sell your spyder, if you are worried about sport bikes going too fast then you should realize that if you get hit by a prius at 30mph you could be just as dead.. If we are are making goverment policy on here the first 3 things that should be outlawed are alcohol, cigarettes and fast food... but seeing we aren't you should keep your difference of opinion in with the touring side of things you are on.

my 09 se5 when my speedo is at 118 mph is really going 113 mph according to a radar gun.
    my speedo at 127 is really 119.2 according to the salt flats.

To keep up to rockets is extremely challenging especially r1's and such but bad weather or tar is your best friend, remember to ride your own bike but baja rons swaybar , elka shocks and a PC with autotune will improve other areas.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Post DON'T YOU DARE

mention anything around here that isn't P C , or you'll get ripped up one side and down the other.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post

Or your Wife's speedo is off 7 mph at high speeds.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Or your Wife's speedo is off 7 mph at high speeds.

Now this is also true....

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    I don't think these Spyder speedos are accurate. My wife road along side me on the interstate in the SUV, and I thought she was speeding (cause my speedo said 80mph). When we got home, she said I wasn't going fast and that when she was beside me her speedo read 73mph.

My speedo is usually within 1 or 2 mph of my GPS.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors