Spyder Garage

Default Decided to call BRP directly...You might want to also....

Being this is my first Spyder I don't have a comparable reference point for the ball joint symptoms to understand if my Spyder is impacted or not. Since delivery of the '13s began, I've been reading through the posts about the issues and some posts say all '13s are covered under this ball joint recall. Others say it's only the limited models.

I asked my service guy at the Spyder dealer what was up and he looked up my VIN and he said that I wasn't listed any recalls so I kind of left the issue alone. I don't recognize the symptoms that others have stated but asked myself the following.. What if due to my own newness with the product, I have symptoms that I can't associate since I am in fact new to the vehicle? I think the ryde is decent but could it be better? I have certainly never felt like it was going to "dart" into another lane or anything.

Since the BRP owners website didn't list anything about the ball joints I should be ok right? Since the dealer looked it up on the computer while I was there I should be ok right? WRONG..... I decided on a whim today to call up BRP USA Customer Service 715.848.4957 and followed the prompts for recall information.

I spoke with a cat named Dave and simply asked him if he could tell me if my Spyder was impacted by the ball joint recall specifically OR if it was a blanket recall for all '13s. He didn't answer that specific question but after giving him my phone number (I don't have my VIN tattooed on my arm yet) he told me that it did apply to my Spyder.

Since the dealer will be installing my saddle bags on Friday I called to ensure that they could take care of this recall as well and seems that they only have 2 sets of the new ball joints left and are now holding 1 set for me.

It will be interesting to see how it handles on the ryde home from the dealership on Saturday..

Wish me luck!
    Current Spyder
    2015 Magnesium Metallic F3-S SE6

• Gauge Spoiler - Pegs @ #5 - Long Reach Bars - Detachable Passenger Backrest - Cross Country Saddlebags - Power Commander V - Power Commander Auto-Tune - Power Commander POD-300 - Two Bros S1R Exhaust w/Black P1X tip - Two Up Shock - Detachable Driver Backrest - Spyclops LED - LED Headlights - Route 129 Windshield

Retired Spyder
    2013 Magnesium Metallic ST-S SE5 5,467 Miles

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Spyder Garage

Keep us posted. Dealers don't always have up to date information.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

MMM,
    I was in your shoes just a couple of weeks ago. The only Spyder experience I had was a test ride on a 2012RT when I decided to trade my 2-wheeler for a 2013 RT. Was excited when it came in, but due to weather, only rode it home at about 30mph and parked it for a couple weeks. On a sunny day, I got geared up and headed out. Scared the bejeebers out of myself. Anything over about 40mph was "exciting". 60 mph was frightful! I went back to the dealer and told him what I had read here, and he told me they just got word on the ball joints. He ordered me a pair. Couple weeks later, I checked in and he had ONE set. Said that they were mine if I wanted to bring the machine in, but they couldn't even order them right now. BRP was doling them out as they saw fit. Long story short, got the new joints and the machine is everything I hoped for, stable and steady! Loving it! Hope you have a good outcome, too! Happy riding!

Spyder Garage

Default Always..!!

good to double check safety issues. Let us know...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Talking

Hope you never have the need for that tattoo

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MMM, The best of luck to you; please let us know what happens next!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMMII View Post
    Being this is my first Spyder I don't have a comparable reference point for the ball joint symptoms to understand if my Spyder is impacted or not. Since delivery of the '13s began, I've been reading through the posts about the issues and some posts say all '13s are covered under this ball joint recall. Others say it's only the limited models.

I asked my service guy at the Spyder dealer what was up and he looked up my VIN and he said that I wasn't listed any recalls so I kind of left the issue alone. I don't recognize the symptoms that others have stated but asked myself the following.. What if due to my own newness with the product, I have symptoms that I can't associate since I am in fact new to the vehicle? I think the ryde is decent but could it be better? I have certainly never felt like it was going to "dart" into another lane or anything.

Since the BRP owners website didn't list anything about the ball joints I should be ok right? Since the dealer looked it up on the computer while I was there I should be ok right? WRONG..... I decided on a whim today to call up BRP USA Customer Service 715.848.4957 and followed the prompts for recall information.

I spoke with a cat named Dave and simply asked him if he could tell me if my Spyder was impacted by the ball joint recall specifically OR if it was a blanket recall for all '13s. He didn't answer that specific question but after giving him my phone number (I don't have my VIN tattooed on my arm yet) he told me that it did apply to my Spyder.

Since the dealer will be installing my saddle bags on Friday I called to ensure that they could take care of this recall as well and seems that they only have 2 sets of the new ball joints left and are now holding 1 set for me.

It will be interesting to see how it handles on the ryde home from the dealership on Saturday..

Wish me luck!

I too went through the same issues you're having. But rest assured the ball joints and alignment fixed the problem. My rides like its on rails.

Make sure the dealer has the "new" tool to install the ball joints. My dealer called me in to replace them and found out they didn't have the right tool. Took about 3 days for them to get it, 2 hours later, I was on the road and enjoying my new ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mettlerk View Post
    I too went through the same issues you're having. But rest assured the ball joints and alignment fixed the problem. My rides like its on rails.

Make sure the dealer has the "new" tool to install the ball joints. My dealer called me in to replace them and found out they didn't have the right tool. Took about 3 days for them to get it, 2 hours later, I was on the road and enjoying my new ride.
    Same goes for alignment, they need the alignment struts annd some other new tools for that, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Ball Joints

MMM, I got a call from my dealer about a month ago and he said my ST-S was on the recall list for the ball joints. Like you, I didn't know I needed them as I had nothing to compare it to. But after the install, I could feel a difference. Sharp turns were much crisper and overall handling was better. I had no idea what I had been missing. Let us know if you feel any difference when you get yours replaced.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    MMM, I got a call from my dealer about a month ago and he said my ST-S was on the recall list for the ball joints. Like you, I didn't know I needed them as I had nothing to compare it to. But after the install, I could feel a difference. Sharp turns were much crisper and overall handling was better. I had no idea what I had been missing. Let us know if you feel any difference when you get yours replaced.
    Now I'm looking forward to it! Is an alignment part of he recall procedure?
    Current Spyder

• Gauge Spoiler - Pegs @ #5 - Long Reach Bars - Detachable Passenger Backrest - Cross Country Saddlebags - Power Commander V - Power Commander Auto-Tune - Power Commander POD-300 - Two Bros S1R Exhaust w/Black P1X tip - Two Up Shock - Detachable Driver Backrest - Spyclops LED - LED Headlights - Route 129 Windshield

Retired Spyder

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Spyder Garage

My STS also received the new ball joints.
    It handles better than my old 09 GS.

Spyder Garage

Well, got the saddlebags and ball joints installed. I decided to take it out for a 130ish mile ride to nowhere to see if I could notice the difference.

The only thing I notice is that at freeway+ speed, it tracks better. Not sure if that makes sense or not but the only way I can think to explain it..
    Current Spyder

Retired Spyder

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Spyder Garage

I talked to my dealer today about the ball joints (I don't have any issues with the handling currently). They told me that mine was fine from how it handled during the test drive. I agree with them as it does not have any of the issues others have described. They still offered to replace the ball joints, if I wanted them to. I passed for right now. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    2013 ST S
    Stock for now

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Only 2 hours to replace the ball joints?

Quote Originally Posted by Mettlerk View Post

Did it really only take 2 hours to replace your ball joints? I asked my dealer how long it would take for mine to be replaced and was told that it would increase my 600 mile checkup from a couple of hours to all day. HATE to sit at the dealer all day (but it is an hour away from my home, that'd be 4 hrs out of someone else's day otherwise), so sit I'd have to do.

Spyder Garage

Default BALL JOINTS

It took my dealer less than 2 hrs. to replace my ball joints.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red