Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Nitto NT450 Good, Bad, Indifferent?

Thinking about replacing OEM rear tire with the Nitto NT450, 205/55-R15. I did a search on "Nitto" and see that a few fellow Spyderlovers have installed this tire. Looking for candid reviews including the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I have almost 10,800 miles on the OEM rear tire and have 4/32" tread depth at the outside wear bars, so I'm getting close to needing a new rear shoe.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    Thinking about replacing OEM rear tire with the Nitto NT450, 205/55-R15. I did a search on "Nitto" and see that a few fellow Spyderlovers have installed this tire. Looking for candid reviews including the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I have almost 10,800 miles on the OEM rear tire and have 4/32" tread depth at the outside wear bars, so I'm getting close to needing a new rear shoe.
    I run the Nitto. Seems good in the rain and plenty of traction elsewhere. Wear has been really good. Got about 8000 miles on it with little to no sign of wear. it's all curves up here in the mountains and the oem tire was completely gone in under 6000 (no burnouts). So far so good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtspyder View Post
    I run the Nitto. Seems good in the rain and plenty of traction elsewhere. Wear has been really good. Got about 8000 miles on it with little to no sign of wear. it's all curves up here in the mountains and the oem tire was completely gone in under 6000 (no burnouts). So far so good.
    Thanks for the info. What air pressure have you found to be the best for the Nitto? I ryde an RT Limited. Thanks,
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. What air pressure have you found to be the best for the Nitto? I ryde an RT Limited. Thanks,
    Am I correct in assuming the RT is much heavier in the rear especially with the passenger? I ride solo (RS SM5) always and find that 20-22 psi cold works fine. Remember, it's a car tire and a radial (Designed to carry exponentially more weight than your Spyder) so if you over inflate it, it will wear quickly in the center. On a RT? I would think 24-28 psi cold depending on load? If you notice it wearing a little more in the center you've probably got too much air in it. It's much stiffer in the sidewalls than the oem tire is. Personally, I would start low and work up from there.

Spyder Garage

Default Can't Help..!!

If you send me a pic I will be happy to tell you if it is ugly..!! will watch for when my oem wears out..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Far From Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    If you send me a pic I will be happy to tell you if it is ugly..!! will watch for when my oem wears out..!!
    Not ugly IMO...if you think so your ugly meter is pegged.

http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/nt450

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtspyder View Post
    Am I correct in assuming the RT is much heavier in the rear especially with the passenger? I ride solo (RS SM5) always and find that 20-22 psi cold works fine. Remember, it's a car tire and a radial (Designed to carry exponentially more weight than your Spyder) so if you over inflate it, it will wear quickly in the center. On a RT? I would think 24-28 psi cold depending on load? If you notice it wearing a little more in the center you've probably got too much air in it. It's much stiffer in the sidewalls than the oem tire is. Personally, I would start low and work up from there.
    I ryde 1 up all the time but, you're right, the RT is heavier than your RS. I keep my OEM rear tire at 28 PSI with close to 11000 miles on it and probably have another 1000 miles or so of usable tread remaining. I'm having the Nitto installed before my 1000 mile ryde to Spyderfest...better to be safe than sorry. I think I'll start out at 24 lbs. on the Nitto. Thanks for the info...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I ryde 1 up all the time but, you're right, the RT is heavier than your RS. I keep my OEM rear tire at 28 PSI with close to 11000 miles on it and probably have another 1000 miles or so of usable tread remaining. I'm having the Nitto installed before my 1000 mile ryde to Spyderfest...better to be safe than sorry. I think I'll start out at 24 lbs. on the Nitto. Thanks for the info...
    Have a great time at SF!