Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New corbin seat installation

yesterday I installed my new Corbin seat on my 2012 RT. Two problems the seat latch post would not line up and after reading the forum I removed it.The main problem is that the corbin seat leaves a two or three inch gap underneath the stock passenger trunk/backrest as it does not have the upstand that the BRP seat does. Do I have to order a Corbin backrest to solve the problem or does anyone have some ideas please

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Bump

Spyder Garage

To get the seat pin to latch you may have to do some adjusting on the back hinge--side to side, front to back etc. The pin also can be adjusted in or out.

I don't like to mess with stuff like that so removed the seat locking pin and the shock. You can put gas in the bike without raising the seat--so that should not be an issue.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You may want to look at the video I put up yesterday in the How to forum. While it is an Ultimate seat that procedure will line up the locking pin for you before you tighten down the hinge positions making the locking pin and gas spring work for you.
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

Default Corbin Seat locking ltch post

Quote Originally Posted by beako View Post
    yesterday I installed my new Corbin seat on my 2012 RT. Two problems the seat latch post would not line up and after reading the forum I removed it.The main problem is that the corbin seat leaves a two or three inch gap underneath the stock passenger trunk/backrest as it does not have the upstand that the BRP seat does. Do I have to order a Corbin backrest to solve the problem or does anyone have some ideas please

I had the same issue with my new corbin seat,after adjusting it as much as i could I ground some of the thickness on the corbin latch pin and now it works just fine.

Spyder Garage

Default New corbin seat installation

I had exactly the same issue this weekend with my new Corbin seat. I removed the pin also. I'm racking my brain to come up with a serious reason why this is a bad idea, but can't think of one. It just seems wrong.
    2014 Spyder RT LTD, 2010 RT-622

Spyder Garage

I have over 50,000 miles on the Corbin seats without the locking pin. No one has stolen the from under the seat or my battery.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It takes a lot of trial and error.

Spyder Garage

I had mine installed by Corbin in Ormand Beach last week and it opens and locks fine. May want to call them and ask about adjustment. Did not seem to take them more than 15 minutes for seat, much longer for arm rests..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

fitted my Corbin 3 years ago to my 2010 RTS and removed the pin. No movement at all when riding. I have the Corbin backrest and there is still a gap between seat and backrest. There are no "filler" panels I know of!

SteveO

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and felt foolish when I discovered that the rear hinge bracket on the seat is adjustable for just this reason. Remove the seat and turn it over. There are two bolts holding the hinge bracket to the seat. I had to loosen the bolts and pull the hinge bracket away from the seat as far as possible, then lock down the bolts. After re-installing the seat, I was lined up exactly as it should be. The latch works just fine. There is some additional, minor adjustment where the two hinge sections come together on the bike. You can loosen the hinge bolts and get a little play if fine tuning is necessary.

As for the void between the seat and the passenger backrest, it won't bother you after everything is installed, and it makes a neat place to store my water bottle while riding. If need be, get an upholstery shop to make a little vinyl curtain to attach to the bottom of the passenger backrest to fill the void, but I doubt if you will notice it past the first week.

Spyder Garage

Default corbin latch problem

Quote Originally Posted by beako View Post
    I have a 2013 with a Corbin seat installed at the factory. Worked fine until I hit a bump and the seat stuck.The Latch pin has two grooves. The bottom groove is where the latch is suppose to hook. But, rider weight can push it passed the top groove and your stuck. Grind off the top ring and smooth the bottom lip on the pin and your fine.
    Or don't worry and toss the pin.
    Double check your seat. There should be a small kick stand to hold seat up and the left side.

Spyder Garage

I removed the pin on wife's Corbin seat, no reason to have it. I too did not like the space between the passenger back support and the seat so I ordered the same material that seat was made of and had a filler made. It is over size so it just pushes in. I sent another one to Mike at Corbin but he had no interest in it. I think it just completes the package.

.SAM_0704 (500x375).jpgSAM_0703 (500x375).jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Do you ever use

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist922 View Post
    I had exactly the same issue this weekend with my new Corbin seat. I removed the pin also. I'm racking my brain to come up with a serious reason why this is a bad idea, but can't think of one. It just seems wrong.
    You may find that you cannot secure your helmets if you remove the locking latch pin.

Corbin needs to develop better quality control procedures as my Corbin seat has given me problems since day two. Their so called fix is to develop a better fist to bang the latch pin open

At 72 you don't have a whole lot of fist power left to develop.