Thread: Buzzing

Spyder Garage

Default Buzzing

Riding on the interstate today with the cruise control on at 76 mph (5600 rpm) my RTS had a significant buzz (vibration) anytime going up a grade. I slowed to 74 (5400 rpm) and the buzz was less. At 68 mph (5000 rpm) there was almost no buzz. Off the interstate in 4th gear, the buzz was there at approximately the same rpm's but less so.

I am thinking this might be belt flutter, but today it seemed more rpm specific rather than rear wheel speed specific. Any thoughts?

Bernie
    --
    RT-S (Blue) with Power Sports Wrap Racing Stripes
    BajaRon's Sway Bar
    Kewl Metal Gizmo Mount
    Rivco Flag Mounts
    NBV Highway Pegs

Spyder Garage

Could be belt, could be some minor debris clinging to the sprocket grooves, or could be engine harmonics. It is normal for any vibrations to be amplified under a heavier load, like going up a hill or pulling a trailer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Could be belt, could be some minor debris clinging to the sprocket grooves, or could be engine harmonics. It is normal for any vibrations to be amplified under a heavier load, like going up a hill or pulling a trailer.
    Scotty,
    What are thoughts about the belt tensioner? Thanks for your input.

Bernie
    --
    BajaRon's Sway Bar
    Kewl Metal Gizmo Mount
    Rivco Flag Mounts
    NBV Highway Pegs

Spyder Garage

Me too, It happened today, 77 mph in 5th gear. I seldom get to ride in 5th gear, so I took notice to the 5th gear vibes, just increased about 4 mph and all was good.
    2012 RT LTD Lava Bronze, Ultimate seat, backrests and fuel door. Two Brothers Titanamium. Laser Alignment, Seals Floorboards. BajaRon Sway Bar and links, Spyderpops blockoff, Grilles, Missing Belt Guard, Bumpskid, Gold Wing Windshield Vent, Kewlmetal Helmet Locks, Rumbling Pride Flag Holders, Cup holders, Signal LED's on mirrors, Baker Built belt stabilizer, gremlin bell, Bad Boy air horn, TricLed 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th taillights and fender LED strips. RT-622 trailer, ........More to come.

Spyder Garage

Default Buzzing

I have the same issue with my 2012 RTS-SE5 in the range of 5100 to 5400 in 5th gear at about 74 MPH. Also noticeable in 4th gear at about the same RPM range. Will be discussing it with service department at my next visit in another week. Really not a good feeling, like the whole drive train is going to come apart. Could need a damper roller on the belt.

Spyder Garage

Default ' Buzzing'

Quote Originally Posted by LJspydee View Post
    I have the same issue with my 2012 RTS-SE5 in the range of 5100 to 5400 in 5th gear at about 74 MPH. Also noticeable in 4th gear at about the same RPM range. Will be discussing it with service department at my next visit in another week. Really not a good feeling, like the whole drive train is going to come apart. Could need a damper roller on the belt.
    AH 74 MPH.
    I experienced the same 'buzz' at that speed. You feel it more in the seat then in the handle bars; accelerate and the 'buzz' goes away, yes? When I attempted to describe this to the service guy, I could see his eyes start to glaze over, as if I was from Mars or something.
    So I did the next best thing. I traded up to a 2013 RT-SE5. Limited.

Interestingly enough, with the new machine, there is a very slight 'buzz' in the 70 MPH range. --- not anywhere as intense; if you felt that 'buzz' before, you tend to be on the look out for stuff like that.
    Surprising, that this topic hasn't been talked about more-

Ron

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hberninger View Post
    Scotty,
    What are thoughts about the belt tensioner? Thanks for your input.
    I don't have one, but those that do seem to like them. There are a couple of different ones out there now. I ride BMWs new and old, and old Brit bikes, among other things. I probably wouldn't notice vibration until it blurred my vision.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

72 -76 MPH seem to be where a lot of the spyders are having harmonic belt issues, the RT especially, due to the extra weight of the machine itself, the capacity to carry even more weight and the windpusher effect due to the larger frontal dimensions, and maybe a trailer also. My new ST had mild vibraton at these speeds constantly if going up a hill, even with the belt at the factory static tension setting. With the tensioner I feel just a little bit starting at 74mph if under a load and then it suddenly stops. If it is in fact doing the same thing at those RPM's in 4th it could be more V-twin vibration related.

Spyder Garage

Default Buzzing

I am getting my Smooth Spyder installed as soon as I get to Pitbull Powersports. I have a 2012 RT.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Bernie is it a vibration that you feel or is it one that you hear? Does it run with the engine RPM or the speed of the bike? For instance if you are running at 77 mph in 5th gear and 5,000 rpm do you still get the same condition at 77 mph in 4th gear at 6,500 rpm? Or vice versa keeping the RPMs the same with different speed. It could also be a bike harmonic if something is vibrating on the body of the bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    Bernie is it a vibration that you feel or is it one that you hear? Does it run with the engine RPM or the speed of the bike? For instance if you are running at 77 mph in 5th gear and 5,000 rpm do you still get the same condition at 77 mph in 4th gear at 6,500 rpm? Or vice versa keeping the RPMs the same with different speed. It could also be a bike harmonic if something is vibrating on the body of the bike.
    It seems to be more rpm related. It is much less noticable in 4th gear than 5th. At its worse (5th gear, 76 mph, 5600 rpm, under load, up a grade), it physically buzzes (higher frequency vibration) the whole bike. I can live with it, but if a tensioner would cure it, or at least diminish it, I would install one.

Bernie
    --
    BajaRon's Sway Bar
    Kewl Metal Gizmo Mount
    Rivco Flag Mounts
    NBV Highway Pegs

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Best thing to do would to be have the belt tension checked by the dealer and if in the proper range try the SpyderSmooth.