Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default FIASCO with the 2013 RT Hitch

Per the forums here relating to the RT Hitch and wiring harness, I contacted my dealer and told him to make sure he orders the 2013 Hitch for the RT which has the 4 pin Square connector. He says he has gone around for two weeks with BRP and the only harness both the dealer and BRP is aware of is the standard 9 pin round connector. He says that is the only one he can order. The picture below shows the image that BRP has on their site for the 2013 RT Hitch and Control Module. It is difficult to tell, but it doesn't look like there is a 9 pin round connector. I contacted BRP myself and was told that the documentation on the hitch and harness can be obtained only by the dealer and they will not provide it to me.
    <B>

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJRider View Post
    Per the forums here relating to the RT Hitch and wiring harness, I contacted my dealer and told him to make sure he orders the 2013 Hitch for the RT which has the 4 pin Square connector. He says he has gone around for two weeks with BRP and the only harness both the dealer and BRP is aware of is the standard 9 pin round connector. He says that is the only one he can order. The picture below shows the image that BRP has on their site for the 2013 RT Hitch and Control Module. It is difficult to tell, but it doesn't look like there is a 9 pin round connector. I contacted BRP myself and was told that the documentation on the hitch and harness can be obtained only by the dealer and they will not provide it to me.
    <B>

One simple recommendation I would like to make is to reverse the four bolts holding the horseshoe to the brackets. They are T30 torx bolts I believe and a mother bear to get at when changing out the rear tire. You still have to remove the axle bolt but removing the four smaller bolts first removes frustration.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    One simple recommendation I would like to make is to reverse the four bolts holding the horseshoe to the brackets. They are T30 torx bolts I believe and a mother bear to get at when changing out the rear tire. You still have to remove the axle bolt but removing the four smaller bolts first removes frustration.
    You don't take those bolts out when removing the hitch.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?37974-RT-Hitch-removal-and-belt-adjustment

Spyder Garage

Tell him to look up part# 219400432
    The harness for a 2013 is a 710003198

Spyder Garage

YOU CAN GET A FLAT 4 CONNECTOR AS i JUST INSTALL ONE ON MY 2012 RT SE5 LIMITED

<B>

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the info on the part number. The service manager verified the part number and he is using the 219400432 but he says it is the standard 9 pin round connector that he has been installing since 2010.

According to the dealer, the hitch comes with the harness. Is the harness P/N you listed for the bike side or the trailer side?

Thank you,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Tell him to look up part# 219400432
    The harness for a 2013 is a 710003198

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the info on the part number. The service manager verified the part number and he is using the 219400432 but he says it is the standard 9 pin round connector that he has been installing since 2010.

According to the dealer, the hitch comes with the harness. Is the harness P/N you listed for the bike side or the trailer side?

Thank you,
    Jon
    As far as I can tell this is the harness for the 2013 and even though the part number is the same there is a retrofit procedure to use this harness with pre 2013 trailers.

Spyder Garage

You should not be able to obtain the old 9-pin harness/hitch assembly anymore. The ones being shipped are all the square-4 with the separate module. You dealer is mistaken.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I always support my dealers and treat them with respect but if I had a dollar for every time they were "mistaken" ......haha

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 hitch

Just had a hitch installed about 3 weeks ago. It has the square 4 pin connector.
    I agree with the others, I think your dealer is mistaken.
    Let's Ryde!