Spyder Garage

Default hand brake saved me today

I took another run into town and I passed a Bank sign and notice it was 84 degrees on the Bank so I looked down to see what mine said and it was 83 degrees. :bigthumbsup: As I looked up the trafic had stopped and I had to make a panic stop before hitting the back of a minivan. :redfaced: My first reaction was the same as it would be on a motorcycle, I grabbed the front brake and then slammed on the rear. I can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure I would have plowed in the back of the van if I didn't have that hand brake. : Old habits are hard to break.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: I hand brake saved me today

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    I took another run into town and I passed a Bank sign and notice it was 84 degrees on the Bank so I looked down to see what mine said and it was 83 degrees. :bigthumbsup: As I looked up the trafic had stopped and I had to make a panic stop before hitting the back of a minivan. :redfaced: My first reaction was the same as it would be on a motorcycle, I grabbed the front brake and then slammed on the rear. I can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure I would have plowed in the back of the van if I didn't have that hand brake. : Old habits are hard to break.
    I wish you could find someone in our area to install the front brake or, offer a kit and I could find someone over my way to install it - - - I would swing for it! I'm either going to have to get a front brake or quit pushing it as hard as I do in the corners. I've come close to being in real trouble on hard right handers when I needed to brake and couldn't get my foot on the brake because of my crouch and lean!!! Just like you, on the occassional times I've had to go for a quick stop, I automatically reached for the hand brake!!
    Sam
    SN 0038 ... Dec, 2007

Spyder Garage

Default Re: I hand brake saved me today

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    Glad it ended well

Spyder Garage

Default Re: hand brake saved me today

You make a great point. Leaning into turns on the spyder would reduce your ability to get on the break quickly since you first have to shift your weight and possible body posture. I agree, a hand break option has to be provided.

Spyder Garage

Lamonster -
    Glad you had a success story! Would probly be a good idea to have one on ours as well.

Again - glad for your save!!

Winnie and Jim
    Minneapolis
    Happy SM5 Owner
    Mods: Evoluzione PowerBus & air filter, sway bar, Kewl adjustable risers, highway pegs, back rack, Givi trunk & side bags, Crampbuster, Heatroller, Autocom intercom & 2 way radio, McCruise cruise control, No Magic Triple Play brake lights, fender tip & mud flap lights, Givi bag lights,
    mirror extensions, Russell Day-Long Saddle, C.H.A.D., Oxford heated grips.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

glad ur good bro.. be safe. :bigthumbsup:

Spyder Garage

Can't tell you how many times my front brake has saved me from getting in trouble too. Good job not getting hurt out there. :bigthumbsup:
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Spyder Garage

on your quick thinking and having the hand brake. :bigthumbsup: Real glad you are alright, like you i am used to having a hand brake which i always go for first i really don't like not having one , but i am not that good at fabricating things. Again and glad you are OK :bigthumbsup:
    BIGD Love to Ride