Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 21012 rt fuel

I just purchased rt limited I have only 200 miles on it i had to fill up twice now my gas light came on each time I went to fill it took only little over 3 gallons also after I filled up today the bike cut off I retarted it no problems driving home any thoughts?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 rt limited fuel

I just purchased rt limited I have only 200 miles on it i had to fill up twice now my gas light came on each time I went to fill it took only little over 3 gallons also after I filled up today the bike cut off I retarted it no problems driving home any thoughts?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Look at how you have the filler nozzle in the tank. If you try to put it all the way in like you would for a car, then you really wont get a full tank of gas and I can see where 3 gallons would be a fill.

I usually put it all the way in to fill until it clicks off, then I back the nozzle out and add another 2 gallons or so till it really is FULL. Then reset the trip-ometer and go for 150 miles before the next fill.

Spyder Garage

Did you have it running while you gassed it up? More info is needed from you.

The more info you give the more help you will get from the GURU's on here

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

no I did not have it running when I filled it up after fill up I let it sit then pulled off I was waiting at a stop light and the spyder cut off maybe the fuel needed to flow through lines it was just weird I just bought it a week ago I filled up with super and used shell

Spyder Garage

to the site.

The shutting off may have just been a glitch. If the problem persists, you may need the dealer to check out what is going wrong.

The refuel light goes on at about 120 miles most of the time. Most ,s average about 30 MPG after they are driven about 5000 miles. A lot of people base their fills on tripmeter readings rather than the gas gauge. On a really empty tank, you usually can get 5 to 5.5 gallons in. You will never get the 6.6 that the tank claims as capacity. Another caution--do not overfill your gas tank. Most people fill up to just below the ring. If you fill at the same level each time--it will only take two or three tanks and you will have the mileage on your figured out.

There have been several gas gauge and mileage threads. Give a few of those a read if you have time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Probably a result of the way you fill. You can't fill it like a car. Insert the nozzle just past the vent baffle (no-lead ring). Fill slowly, by hand, until gas just begins to squirt out of the vent slots. If you top it off, quit the second time the gas starts to spurt out of the slots. If you try to fill all the way to the baffle, or you fill fast or on auto, you chance forcing gas into the emissions canister, ruining it and causing gas fumes for days.

Spyder Garage

Your post have been merged. I would ask that you not post the exact same question twice, it makes it had to follow the answers when they are on two post. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Punctuation helps, too...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My apologies for the same post twice I did not see this until now I believe my computer was freezing and I may of reloaded the page resulting in a duplicate post. Thank you for the answers and the error being pointed out. Also sory about punctuation I tend to type fast. Everyone ride safe.........

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT limited fuel

I also have a 2012 RT Limited that cuts off during idle. I've made an appointment for this coming Tuesday, 4/9/13 to have a pre season check up. Ryan, the man in charge at the Hanover, Pa. dealership where I bought it will change out the fuel gauge (as it bounces all around after it moves off the full mark) and look at the cut off issue. He mentioned a throttle body issue on a previous similar problem. I can let you know the results.

Dan
    Pasadena, Maryland

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by meathead1978 View Post
    The gas gauge is notoriously unreliable on Spyders. I have a 2012 RT-S SM5.

If I hold the refueling nozzle right and upward (almost under the upright seat), that seems to maximize the amount of fuel that will be pumped into the tank.

If I let the nozzle rest downward, I might get around 3 gallons of fuel in the tank before the automatic shut-off.

Anyway, I have tracked mileage since my purchase new.

My BEST fill-up was just the other day. LOL. I forgot my own rule and only put in 2.6 gallons. The fuelly.com website assumes you are FILLING the tank each time so it calculated I got 38 m.p.g. LOL.

Typically, I get around 30 m.p.g. My mix of driving is about 50/50 i.e. city/highway driving.

My 2012 Chevrolet Cruze gets 34 to 36 m.p.g.

The Spyder is not a high mileage motorcycle. My last motorcycle, 1500cc Goldwing typically got 40 m.p.g.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here's what you do..!!

Fill the tank..fill a gallon can..set the trip meter B to 00...ryde till it sputters and dies..that's how far you get on a tank of gas. Now put the gallon in and go fill up. I usually use trip meter B for mileage. You can do the same to see how far you can go from low fuel to outta fuel...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black