Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrfats View Post
    My question is a simple one...if you have a concealed permit for your particular state of residence, does that mean you can carry a weapon across the United States and still be legal?

This right here will tell you the state that you can carry in....

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/

Spyder Garage

Here in Arkansas we have concealed carry, and reciprocity with our friendly neighbor MO up north.

One advantage on the Spyder, at least with the SE5 transmission, is the abilty to pretty quickly free up both hands to take up a defensive posture while still on the vehicle. Not as easy on a 2 wheeler.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Yelhelp;599950]In new york you can get in some trouble if someone sees your gun. NY conceled carry means Conceled carry , QUOTE] Do me a favor, and please take another look at your permit... My New York State permit; issued in Sullivan County simply says, "License to carry pistol is hereby granted." It does not specify the method of carry; it only states that permission is granted. UNLESS... your local judge is adding that as a restriction or modification to the permit...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My question is a simple one...if you have a concealed permit for your particular state of residence, does that mean you can carry a weapon across the United States and still be legal?
    No. It does not. You have to read what states allow carrying of a weapon either concealed or open. Not all states honor other states permits. Confusing.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

New York's laws are REAL simple; they don't recognize any other State's permits...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Don't..!!

Have them know how to use them but don't feel the need to carry one...break into my house and find out on the road have the option to avoid areas, people, places that threaten or leave..please don't hammer me with situations I know it happens.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I'm well aware of what he law says regarding showing a weapon. But as has been stated, it was my choice to defuse a potential situation.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

I carry a .45 all the time and hope to never need it. I have both a Georgia and a Florida permit and this gives me all the states I need when I travel. I do read up on the laws in states I am going to in order to understand their laws and follow those. I have no need or desire to go to NY, IL, CA, OR and some of the states around NY. I will, however, disarm when I am in SC. I also will not patronize a restaurant or business that denies my right to carry, within the law, of course.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Default No

no you Are responsible for knowing the laws of each state That you enter.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dizneyman View Post
    I do not know about the laws where you live, but in Florida, flashing your gun to get someone to back off is illegal and a felony. Better read the laws where you live

Be careful out there with your firearm!! Here is how the law reads.
    It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
    I guess I read that differently... To me it reads that showing the gun to ward off potential threats is permitted, however if you flash it to scare off the repo man, or some other stupid way, then you are breaking the law.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    New York's laws are REAL simple; they don't recognize any other State's permits...
    When I travel to PA to visit family, I have to pass through the Peoples Republic of Maryland (PRM). I have to stop at the Va/Md border, unload and break down the gun, put the mags, oops, clips in the trunk and the gun in the console. In the state of NC, if you are pulled over with a concealed weapon, you have to give the officer your permit and inform them you are carrying.

As an aside, many years ago, when I was a volunteer firefighter/emt I was traveling through the PRM. I had a red light on the dash, not operating mind you. Also had a FF license plate on the front of the car. As soon as I crossed the border from Delaware to Maryland a state trooper sitting in the median pulled out behind me. We went down the interstate about two miles and he pulled me over. When he walked up to the car he asked who I thought I was. I asked what he ment and he said nobody but police officers,firetrucks and ambulances will have a red light mounted on their vehicle he didn't care if I was the fire chief. Gave me a verbal warning and told me to take the light off the dash and never come back to his state with a light like that again. I didn't. A few years latter I came back through in my pickup. I had a light bar on my truck and they never said a thing. Guess he had a bad day.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    I carry a .45 all the time and hope to never need it. I have both a Georgia and a Florida permit and this gives me all the states I need when I travel. I do read up on the laws in states I am going to in order to understand their laws and follow those. I have no need or desire to go to NY, IL, CA, OR and some of the states around NY. I will, however, disarm when I am in SC. I also will not patronize a restaurant or business that denies my right to carry, within the law, of course.
    It is illegal in the state of North Carolina to carry a weapon in to any establishment that sells alchohol for consumption on the premises or any building clearly displaying a no weapons allowed sign.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Being in law enforcement for quite a few years, I feel a little naked without my 9mm Ruger. Never had to use it or show it, but being 76 years old, I don't relish an A** kicking or my wife abused. Enough said ....

Culpeper, VA-Virginia's most misspelled town!
    Spyder Garage

Default Concealed carry across the USA

Mr. Fats-
    I hold a Virginia CCP along with a Utah Non-resident CCP. Between these two permits, I can legally carry concealed in 37 states through what is called "reciprocity". Virginia is an "open carry" state. And I carry concealed while riding, especially at night.
    If you are interested in carrying concealed, find a proper on-site training and licensing course in YOUR state. Complete it, pass the test (and range course, if required), obtain your permit and then, and only then start looking for a weapon.

Carrying a weapon, concealed or open, is a huge responsibility. Before you purchase the weapon, UNDERSTAND that responsibility.
    2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze- Spending my children's inheritance on my Spyder and farkles-so they don't have to learn how to. It's a dirty job--but someone's got to do it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post

I agree, gun laws & helmet laws all the same. I don't travel "no gun states" or "helmet states". ---Budro

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool I pack

Seeing as how I do a lot of long trips by myself - and being a girl - I pack all the time. I have the necessary permits and training and feel much more secure when I by myself. Plus having broken down several times out in the middle of nowhere, I don't worry so much...

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting

With all this talk about the law, which I have found most people do not even understand by the questions that always come up in these forums, I also find that most people who carry could not even hit a silhouette target at 5 feet as they never go out and practice. Add that to the adrenaline rush, the improper ammunition being used, and omg...the poor innocent people that will get shot !!! Please people, if you are going to carry, practice practice practice at least twice a month. Do not believe what you see on TV, as it ain't true!!! You use the wrong ammo, and you will go right through the bad guy (if you hit him) and kill the innocent guy behind them. Use personal protection ammo. Get trained properly....

Just my 2 cents...and if it keeps just one of you from ruining your life...its worth my rant

Diz

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by budro View Post
    I agree, gun laws & helmet laws all the same. I don't travel "no gun states" or "helmet states". ---Budro
    with the helmet laws, I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. just like a gun.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    It's a choice only you can make.
    I do not and will not carry a gun because, to me, it means I would be living in fear.
    I prefer to live life unafraid.
    BUT I do have a Loaded Rifle with 12 rounds at my "Ready" in my home to defend myself !!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

NO... and don't carry in Illinois -- especially in Chicago. I guarantee you'll be arriving late to your destination if discovered.

I am not against carry-laws... just for the record.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    NO... and don't carry in Illinois -- especially in Chicago. I guarantee you'll be arriving late to your destination if discovered.

I am not against carry-laws... just for the record.

I know that you cant carry any handgun in the state of Ill as of right now.. But hadnt the law been changed in Cook Co.. Firearms use to be banned there but now are allowed arnt they???

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REGARDING SELF DEFENSE

Motto : " I'd rather be Judged by 12 than carried by 6 ". I believe in this !!!!!........Everyone else can do what they feel comfortable with.....I do !
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-03-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Carry Laws

You can carry a weapon on a continuous journey through any state. But, each state has laws about how you carry. Some places will honor your home states conceal and carry permit, others will not. In some states the gun has to be locked up. In others, the ammo and gun must be locked in separate compartments. The laws for carry are all over the place. And it is your obligation to find out what those laws are. Ignorance will not keep you out of trouble. If you look at the Internet for a states carry laws, please make sure that you look at current laws. Do not rely on someone else's summary. Go to the state statutes e. g Nevada conceal and carry statutes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    I don't have a gun, but the wife and I have started going to the range, so it may be in my future. If I had a CCL, I'm not sure if I would carry while riding, or not. I think that is something you have to get used to. There is no sense in carrying if you have doubts that you would use it, and I think that is where I stand right now. Shooting paper targets is easy compared to shooting a live person. I say that simply because it's easy for anyone to say "If my life is in danger, I have no problem shooting them."... but I think you need to really examine that. How many people who carry have actually fired the weapon in that situation? Like you stated earlier, sometimes your husband only has to display it to dissolve the situation, however, even that can be turned bad really quick if you are hesitant to use it. The same weapon you take for protection can be removed from you, and used against you.

The other thing is that I ride with folks who have CCLs, and normally carry... I usually don't give it a second thought whether they are or are not during the ride, because I have enough faith in them that they would do the right thing. I also have friends with CC licenses who scare the crap out of me just knowing that they have a gun on their person.

It all comes down to the person.
    If you are comfortable, and confident that you could pull the trigger if necessary, then carry. If you have the slightest doubt whether you could pull that trigger, then leave it at home, cause it could turn a bad situation much worse.
    I thought about that for a long time and actually argued with my husband that I didn't want to have access to the guns in the house because I would not pull the trigger and whomever was in the house would take it from me and kill me and kids. Just being realistic. Then during one of my husbands deployments, I was woken by the alarm in the house! Someone had smashed the sliding glass door. Luckily the alarm scared him away, but I was scaried to death! It took the police 20 minutes to response to the alarm, Antonia and I could have been seriously hurt and/or dead in that time (Jessa was not home that night). So I started researching. Honestly, I would do anything to protect either of my girls and I would rather have it and know how to use it, so I am never huddled in a bathroom with the 8 year old with no way of protecting her while waiting for the police.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    It's a choice only you can make.
    I do not and will not carry a gun because, to me, it means I would be living in fear.
    I prefer to live life unafraid.
    In all fairness, I do not live in fear. I recognize the dangers of the world around us and I choice to live as a person not a victim.