Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Do You Carry a Gun When You Ride

So I am curious, do you carry a gun when you ride?

I have heard a number of horror stories about agressive buttheads that like to pick on Motorcyclist and I have personally experienced the "Harley" attitude and in one of them I felt my safety was in danger. There has been at least two occocassions where my husband felt it necessary to flash his gun to back someone off. Don't get me wrong, my husband and I both feel that it is better that nobody ever know that you have gun, but when threatened with bodily harm or as in those cases having your wife threatened with bodily harm, it is sometimes necessary to be aggressive. A big burly man that corners me and tells me "I am going to teach you what a real man is" is not going to back down if I ask nicely, trust me I tried.

I have been shooting for about a year and easily passed the qualification test for my conceal carry permit which I have had for about 6 months. My husband never leaves home without a gun, and honestly if I am taking the kids out or am heading out by myself, I am usually armed, now too. I would rather carry and not need it, then need it and not have it. I have taken a number of classes on gun safety and self protection both with and without a gun.

I know that this is a sensititve subject and I hope nobody defriends me over it. I am hoping we can have a civil conversation and I can get different view points without any name calling or attacking. Friendly conversation!

Spyder Garage

I will after I move to MO. never really had the event happen where I'd need it, but as you say, I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

There have been many threads on this subject and they usually end up heated. Personally, yes, I carry. I have not had to pull it yet but did have to pull my jacket back just enough to let the individual know what he was facing if he wanted to procede. He didn't. It's your call and only you will know when you have to make the next step. And you are still a friend.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    There have been many threads on this subject and they usually end up heated. Personally, yes, I carry. I have not had to pull it yet but did have to pull my jacket back just enough to let the individual know what he was facing if he wanted to procede. He didn't. It's your call and only you will know when you have to make the next step. And you are still a friend.
    Dang I need to get better at searching because I looked. Sorry for the redundant thread and yes, I know what you are saying, it is what my husband did on both occocasions.

So do you carry in your waist band?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't have a gun, but the wife and I have started going to the range, so it may be in my future. If I had a CCL, I'm not sure if I would carry while riding, or not. I think that is something you have to get used to. There is no sense in carrying if you have doubts that you would use it, and I think that is where I stand right now. Shooting paper targets is easy compared to shooting a live person. I say that simply because it's easy for anyone to say "If my life is in danger, I have no problem shooting them."... but I think you need to really examine that. How many people who carry have actually fired the weapon in that situation? Like you stated earlier, sometimes your husband only has to display it to dissolve the situation, however, even that can be turned bad really quick if you are hesitant to use it. The same weapon you take for protection can be removed from you, and used against you.

The other thing is that I ride with folks who have CCLs, and normally carry... I usually don't give it a second thought whether they are or are not during the ride, because I have enough faith in them that they would do the right thing. I also have friends with CC licenses who scare the crap out of me just knowing that they have a gun on their person.

It all comes down to the person.
    If you are comfortable, and confident that you could pull the trigger if necessary, then carry. If you have the slightest doubt whether you could pull that trigger, then leave it at home, cause it could turn a bad situation much worse.

Spyder Garage

If I'm carrying my PT22 it's normally in my pocket or ankle holster, sometimes in my hip holster. If I carry the Bersa 40 it's in a shoulder rig.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd rather have it, and not need it; than need it and not have it... My constant companion is a .45 in an S.O.B. carry rig, and I've never had to even show it! Don't let yourself get forced into those situations; you'll live a much less-stressful life!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i have a lot of friends that ride and they all carry,but only when going on long trips from home.me and my wife have been thinking seriously about carrying while on roadtrips or if i'm away from home,just haven't taken that last step and purchased one yet but we are slowly looking.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

We carry on every trip. My wife has a Smith and Wesson, Ladysmith .38 special that she wears in a waist holster and I carry a Sig Sauer 9 mm in a hip holster. We have never had to take our weapons out and hope we never have occasion to do so.

Two years ago I had parked my Spyder outside of a restaurant where I was picking up some fast food. When I came out I found a man sitting on my Spyder with a girl urging him on. I walked to the rear of the machine to open the trunk while telling the guy it wasn't a very smart idea of his to mount my Spyder. Once I put the food away, I opened my jacket to reveal my sidearm and the woman screamed...."Henry, he has a gun!".

Henry was in a hurry to dismount but caught his foot on the passenger peg and went face forward to the pavement. She helped him up and they both took off at a run. Henry was bleeding from what I hope was a broken nose and left the smell of booze in the air. I'm pretty sure he was drunk.

That's about as close as I've come to needing my weapon but as I was taught by the LEO who conducted the course my wife and I took..... "there is no point in having a weapon if you don't have the intent to protect yourself when in danger. Once certain do not hesitate."
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I do not know about the laws where you live, but in Florida, flashing your gun to get someone to back off is illegal and a felony. Better read the laws where you live

Be careful out there with your firearm!! Here is how the law reads.
    It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

Spyder Garage

I carry a gun everywhere I go.. I alway have a crossbread holster on my side with my Ruger SR40C stuck in it... I have never had to show it to anyone let alone pull it on someone, but beleive me, if someone threaten me or tries to hurt me or Rhonda they will be looking down the barrel.. I am disabled with severe back issue an had both knee's replaced.. So instead of me getting my a&& beat off or seeing Rhonda get hurt or rapped, well you get the picture.. I am not saying that I would take someone's life.. I am saying that I would da whatever it takes to stop them from hurting me or her....

As the moto goes.. I dont carry a gun to kill or hurt someone.. I carry a gun to keep someone from killing or hurting me or Rhonda....

Spyder Garage

Default Yes, we do

My husband carrys but he is in law enforcement, well trained and knowledgable. I do have a CCL, but do not carry. A few years ago I left my gun in the car and the car got stolen. About a month later we got a call from local Law Enforcement, it had been used in a burglary. No one got hurt, but I it opened a whole new mind set of what my carelessness could have caused. I am all for carrying, but as previously stated it is and should be a personal decision and not taken lightly.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Conceled Carry

In new york you can get in some trouble if someone sees your gun. NY conceled carry means Conceled carry , to flash a peak at your gun could get you in alot more hot water than you would want. I have read laws in alot of the states I have traveled in and showing a weapon is generally not a good idea. USCCA web sit has alot of information on this subject. If you carry conceled be smart it is better to try and exit the area than take the lid off that can of worms. Shooting at and being shoot at are not fun activitys for anyone sane.
    That being said if your a sheep dog you get up in the morning get dressed and holster up. Better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bytemi View Post
    Dang I need to get better at searching because I looked. Sorry for the redundant thread and yes, I know what you are saying, it is what my husband did on both occocasions.

So do you carry in your waist band?
    there's a thread on this as well. I started it as a poll asking for where the best place might be to wear it while ryding. of course comfort and accessibility are #1. I think the thread, if I remember right is called 'concealed placement' just search for it and it'll come up.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Just actually picked up my ID card and permits 10 minutes ago. I applied in Dec '12. NJ sucks. Shopping time!
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dizneyman View Post
    I do not know about the laws where you live, but in Florida, flashing your gun to get someone to back off is illegal and a felony. Better read the laws where you live

Be careful out there with your firearm!! Here is how the law reads.
    It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
    In Georgia the carry permit is for open or concealed... no difference. It is called a Weapons Carry Permit or WCP and is not known as a CCW. Georgia is also a Stand Your Ground State and allows one to protect themselves when under threat of danger.

Thanks for the heads up on Florida.... too bad all the states can't get together on some of this stuff.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Do You Carry a Gun When You Ride

Yup. ATGATT.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Our 'Tardis' 2011 RT SE5 A/C Orbital Blue & 622 Trailer
    HMT Brake Lt, KewlMetal Hwy Brkts, Corbin Seat w/heat & backrest, Custom Dynamics Fender Tips & Mudflap LEDs, Gorilla Alarm, Stebel Horn, Xenon Depot HID Kit, SpyderPOPS Radiator block & BumpSkid, RumblingPride TCM flag mts, Elkas, BRP Fogs, Garmin 665, Alaskan Leather ButtPads, Gremlin Bell, GripBuddies, his/her htd gear power jacks, KewlMetal Perf Air Intake, BajaRon plugs/wires & Anti-Sway Bar, Baker Belt Stabilizer, Baker Mug.

Spyder Garage

I don't carry all the time, just longer trips or at night. It's a bit of a pain having to figure out the legal nuances of each state you go through. Too many locales will throw the book at you for minor infractions as the reasoning can be very politically based. Sure seems like an "infringement" to have to weed through it all.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I do have a Michigan cpl same as a ccl I do carry but not all the time because of my job but when not at work usually do as others have stated it's illgel to show your weapon well caring it conceled . Here in Michigan it is leagel to OPEN CARRY as well . I have never had to use my pistol its nice knowing it's their if neassery but best to remain calm i know its hard at times
    2012 RT-S SE5

Spyder Garage

No!!! I've represented too many who did.

Chris

Spyder Garage

What do guns and parachutes have in common? If you need it and don’t have it, you’ll never need it again.
    You have to be able to protect yourself if needed.

Washington State is also an open carry state.
    Last edited by rpatsh; 04-03-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by devilrider View Post
    I do have a Michigan cpl same as a ccl I do carry but not all the time because of my job but when not at work usually do as others have stated it's illgel to show your weapon well caring it conceled . Here in Michigan it is leagel to OPEN CARRY as well . I have never had to use my pistol its nice knowing it's their if neassery but best to remain calm i know its hard at times

Forgot to mention that the state of kentucky has an open carry law as well.. Anyone can open carry as long as your 21 an not a felon..

Spyder Garage

My question is a simple one...if you have a concealed permit for your particular state of residence, does that mean you can carry a weapon across the United States and still be legal?

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Do You Carry a Gun When You Ride

Deleted. Didn't want to stir the pot
    Last edited by SllimG; 04-03-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrfats View Post
    My question is a simple one...if you have a concealed permit for your particular state of residence, does that mean you can carry a weapon across the United States and still be legal?
    No every state is diffrent!