Spyder Garage

Default Added a 12v outlet to the dash...

I use an old Droid X smart phone that is not activated for use as my GPS. I needed a turn-by-turn GPS that didn't not rely on cell service to function, so I downloaded the NavFree USA app from Google Play. I also use the MapWithMe app when I just want a map and not turn-by-turn directions. These apps stores maps on the phone so no cell service is needed. The phone syncs up to my Sena headset so I can hear everything the phone does in my helmet as I ride and I saved a small fortune by not going with a Zumo 660.

First thing I needed was a mount. I ordered a RAM ball mount, a double socket arm and an X-Grip. I marked the holes in the top of the dash and hand drilled them using my fingers and a drill bit (with gloves, of course). I used 3/4 inch stainless steel nuts, screws and washers and a dab of RTV to secure it all. The RTV was used instead of Loctite in case I ever wanted to get them back off one day... and to seal around the screws so no water could seep in. I used a flat tip screwdriver and pried apart the dash just above the little slide-out safety card so I could hold the nuts with my fingers while tightening the screws. Once the 2 nuts were tight, I just pressed the dash back together. It was not necessary to remove the windshield to do any of this.

Running the phone as a GPS with the screen on all the time means I get about 2 hours or so of battery life, thus I need a constant power source for it. I thought about placing an outlet where my analog fuel gauge is (it is not connected anyway) but I decided to just put it in the left speaker grill. I ran a fused hot wire from the battery (it was much easier to remove all the body panels than I anticipated) and tapped into the ground behind the dash. I put it all back together and now I am all set for lots of back road riding.

Sorry for the bad pics... the sun was extra bright today and there is soooooo much pollen in the air and all over the Spyder. It makes my installation look messy in these pics but it really isn't. That pollen is everywhere! Hopefully, this will help someone else who is wanting to install a mount and power outlet.

Attached Images Attached Images

2012 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Pure Magnesium
    www.JerryandCynthia.com - Our Riding Adventures

Spyder Garage

Default Nice job..!!

Pic's are fine. Great job and should work nicely for your needs. Never have enough power outlet for all the gadgets appearing on the market..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black