Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Default What is a good method or solvent to remove 3M double sided tape?

So, here I am still in the midst of finishing my last 3 months of farkles and I'm already thinking ahead to what may be next. One of my 'future' considerations will require removing options held on with the double-sided 3M tape that uses the catalyst. You know, the little wet sponge in the envelope. These options are not something you'd want to take a chance on breaking by prying. I was thinking about some sort of solvent that I could inject with a syringe a little at a time under the edges until it could just be lifted off. Maybe 'Goo B Gone' or 'Oops'?

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Something less destructive than a cutoff wheel, pneumatic chisel or cutting torch.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    So, here I am still in the midst of finishing my last 3 months of farkles and I'm already thinking ahead to what may be next. One of my 'future' considerations will require removing options held on with the double-sided 3M tape that uses the catalyst. You know, the little wet sponge in the envelope. These options are not something you'd want to take a chance on breaking by prying. I was thinking about some sort of solvent that I could inject with a syringe a little at a time under the edges until it could just be lifted off. Maybe 'Goo B Gone' or 'Oops'?

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Something less destructive than a cutoff wheel, pneumatic chisel or cutting torch.
    Hot air blower?
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Goo Gone should work--I've also used Duck Adhesive Remover to get tape off plastics.

A syringe would work, but you also just might have luck pouring it slowly over whatever's stuck and just letting it sit (that's how I got the front wheel side reflectors off in order to install my Brightsides). Goo Gone is good for that as you can get it in a spray bottle.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I use WD-40 to take adhesive residue off plastic and glass. It works really well.

Marty

Spyder Garage

I use Wd-40 as well.. i like to use it on the inside of my wheels to get the road tar an what not off of them....

Spyder Garage

I have used a thread wrapped around a stick to slide under the item like stick on mirrors to be removed and then just use goo gone on a paper towel or shop rag to remove the residue.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Ooooo, Ooooo, I'll play.

​A Chisel!?......

His-2012 Spyder RT-S Quantum Blue ​SOLD / ​Hers-2012 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

With all of the above! Except the chisel!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Dental floss and WD-40 or Goo B gone is my normal approach. All depends on what's in the drip zone.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Goof off works where goo gone doesn't , but you have to test the surface first to make sure it's not going to harm it. I've even gotten paint and gum out of carpet and cloths with the stuff.

Spyder Garage

I use lighter fluid , or Auto Glym intensive tar remover , works a treat , even better if you warm it up before you start as already mentioned , I use a hairdryer though , hot air guns tend to get a little too warm

Spyder Garage

Rubbing alcohol cheap and works wonders.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I use the low setting on a heat gun to gradually melt the adhesive and break the bond between the item I wish to remove and the surface it is stuck to. Once the bond begins to weaken I continue to apply heat and gently peel the item away using a plastic spatula, credit card or other non marring utensil. You will then be left with a sticky residue on the surface that can be removed with an adhesive remover and elbow grease.

Spyder Garage

A lot of good suggestions above, and most of them work OK. I prefer to use physical removal with monofilament fishing line (or dental floss), then clean up afterwards with one of the profucts above. Depending on the adhesive, some work better than others. Heat works well in removing things stuck to metal parts, but it can be tricky (and less effective) on plastic parts.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

No end to the suggestions..now make room on the shelf for all these products. I go with the WD40 floss and if needed goof... Good luck!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Strong solvents can mar or ruin your paint. A solvent capable of dissolving adhesive has the potential to adversely affect paint, especially clear coat. I speak from experience. So now before any solvent touches my paint job I test it in an inconspicuous area. Always use the least potentially dangerous method before moving on to the next.

For 3M adhesive just gently heat the area with a hair dryer (never use a heat gun on paint). Then gently pull or use waxed dental floss. It's amazing how effective heat is when removing adhesives. 3M adhesives tapes are designed to be removable by pulling and stretching the tape. It will usually just let go when stretched. For any residual residue I use this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Duck-527263-Ad...pr_product_top

Different adhesives use several different bonders, so no single solvent works on everything. My solvent arsenal includes denatured alcohol, acetone, goo gone, Duck Adhesive remover, WD40, and a citrus based solvent such as Desolv It. However always test the solvent where it won't show or else you may create a bigger problem then what you started with.