Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    ..... You don't have to worry with lubricating the cable every time you turn around. .....
    Modern motorcycles don't have cable operated clutches anymore. They are hydraulic.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    The biggest complaints I have is the semiautomatic clutch is to noisesy IMO and that bugs me some of the time. The high rev shifting points are so much smoother that it is not worth complaining about. You get used to t and enjoy the ride and keep that thumb an index finger moving like the traffic around you is.
    No offense Bob, but if your Spyder is still "clunking" when shifting... you may still be shifting at too low of RPM's; or simply not smoothly pulling on the paddle while holding the throttle steady (do not accelerate while shifting - just hold it steady).

I rarely ever hear a clunk-sound on mine when shifting. It is very smooth -- but not so if I do it wrong. If you are at Spyderfest, I'll show you...

First gear and reverse, however, always clunk...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    No offense Bob, but if your Spyder is still "clunking" when shifting... you may still be shifting at too low of RPM's; or simply not smoothly pulling on the paddle while holding the throttle steady (do not accelerate while shifting - just hold it steady).

I rarely ever hear a clunk-sound on mine when shifting. It is very smooth -- but not so if I do it wrong. If you are at Spyderfest, I'll show you...

First gear and reverse, however, always clunk...
    Also check you oil level. Mine started to make more "noise" then usual and it turned out the oil level was low. I serviced it and shifting went back to being quiet.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I'm a little late to the party but rest assured the SM by far is much better than the SE and I 'll tell you why .........

With the SM you do not need a parking brake, you just leave it in gear. What happens when you forget to constantly adjust your SE parking brake and your beloved SE Spyder rolls down the hill and crashes into something because it remains in neutral while stopped ????? Thats right, your insurance will total it, insurance rates will rise, you might get sued and you will end up getting a SM anyway.

For one reason or another this was forgotten and ignored "conveniently" by fellow SE owners.
    too funny...but...sorta not. That's the only thing about my wife's SE5 that drives me bonkers. I'm so used to just getting off my SM and leaving it in gear never setting the brake. Every time I move and get off the wife's bike, turn it off there is this ridiculous beeping sound because I didn't set the P brake. ! But, who am I to complain? She loves the thing and we get to spend time together. Small price to pay for a "happy wifey"!Her and her SE5.......That's just silly!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The brakes on the RT's are e-brakes. No foot brake involved here. Not sure what they did beyond 2009 on the RS's though. My 2008 and 2009 had the footbrakes, and the 2009 SE5 had the alarm as mentioned above.
    Ahhh, foot brakes! I miss those days.
    Flintstones_Family_Car-1000.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    The engine STOP switch. BRP even suggests it be used to stop the engine before turning the key off. It's a good habit to get into, and may, save your bacon.

What's a scenario where this will save you?

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    Obviously you have never had a machine where the throttle stuck or the clutch disengagement (cable or hydraulic) failed. The idea is to be able to shut off the engine without (dangerously) removing your hands from the handlebars.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Obviously you have never had a machine where the throttle stuck or the clutch disengagement (cable or hydraulic) failed. The idea is to be able to shut off the engine without (dangerously) removing your hands from the handlebars.
    Lol....is it that obvious?

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    It's a heck of a lot safer and easier than trying to reach over and turning the key off. Every nano second counts when it hits the fan! That button can be spanked in a half a second or less. Lot harder to get to the key if wide open throttle and all 's breaking loose!

Spyder Garage

Drop and pop x2!
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.