Thread: Two - wheeler

Spyder Garage

Default Two - wheeler

I had an interesting little ride today. I was just going over to the in-laws house to do a little work for them and was seeing how I could push the Spyder in the turns being I seem to get the "How does it handle the turns?" question from a lot of bikers. I usually tell them about the computerized systems in the Spyder to keep all three wheels on the ground but I was not speaking from experience.

Sooo.... I was fully expecting VSS, ABS or some other computer to kick in at some point. I took a corner at about 30 MPH and felt / saw the front tire come off the ground by at least 4 - 6 inches. I never felt as if the Spyder was doing anything to prevent or counteract this as I thought that it would. Once I saw the tire off the ground, I let off the throttle and the tire quickly settled back on to the pavement. dltang, who saw the whole thing, said I ride like a crazy person or something to that effect. :redfaced:
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Two - wheeler

Quote Originally Posted by bjt
    I had an interesting little ride today. I was just going over to the in-laws house to do a little work for them and was seeing how I could push the Spyder in the turns being I seem to get the "How does it handle the turns?" question from a lot of bikers. I usually tell them about the computerized systems in the Spyder to keep all three wheels on the ground but I was not speaking from experience.

Sooo.... I was fully expecting VSS, ABS or some other computer to kick in at some point. I took a corner at about 30 MPH and felt / saw the front tire come off the ground by at least 4 - 6 inches. I never felt as if the Spyder was doing anything to prevent or counteract this as I thought that it would. Once I saw the tire off the ground, I let off the throttle and the tire quickly settled back on to the pavement. dltang, who saw the whole thing, said I ride like a crazy person or something to that effect. :redfaced:
    I think I said "you are dangerous" I saw how you were taking the turn, I did not actually see the wheel off the ground but I believe you. You were hitting that turn pretty quick.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

I've done this at slow speeds ... around 20-25... and nothing kicked in.

I've tried at higher speeds.... take 35mph curves at 70...... nada..... no wheel coming up... but also no VSS kicking in.

Lamonster says it will kick in even without the wheels coming up...... in the twisties..... but I cannot get that to happen.

The only time I can get any VSS to kick in is SLOW speeds and spinning the back tire... hell.. just coming out of my own driveway that had some gravel at the end and punching the gas while turning made the VSS go off... which I must say.... sounds pretty damn embarassing !!!

I don't think it should even kick on until you hit 20 mph!

So the question is...... WHEN does it kick on in a turn where you pull a wheel up????

BRP bragged about this VSS...... and all I've seen it do yet is keep me from doing burnouts while starting out and the turning.

As soon as I've felt the wheels come up I throttle down... I did get them around 6" and still no VSS.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'll be interested in hearing the responses to this one. I have never felt either the VSS or ABS come into action. Maybe I don't hammer the machine hard enough.

Jack H.

Spyder Garage

I have felt the ABS / VSS kick in on hard acceleration take offs on a turn like Danimal says. It was also misting so the road was a little slick and the rear end broke loose easily that day.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.