Spyder Garage

Default Digital display color

While fiddling around with my spyder in the garage (no, I didn't break it yet, but I just can't resist tinkering since old man winter is giving me a hard time), I noticed that the display changes color scheme depending on whether I'm in bright daylight or dim light. Yet there is nothing in the manual. Anyone else notice this?

Spyder Garage

Default Color Display

Yes, the display will change to aide the driver during hours of darkness. Orange is for faults and open doors and dark gray is for night or dim light.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have some street lights here in Las Vegas that are so bright they will trigger the dash lights on my Spyder to go back and forth from the night setting to the daytime one.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sharbill View Post
    Yes, the display will change to aide the driver during hours of darkness. Orange is for faults and open doors and dark gray is for night or dim light.

Just an FYI, on my 2012 RT Limited, burnt orange is the night time color, didn't want anyone to think they have a fault.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The older bikes had blue...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Yes, my 2011 turns blue at night, orange if I have a fault... ask me how I know? lol

Spyder Garage

Yes, as the previous posters have said. The screens will change from a day to a night mode. Since we don't have much of a night time issue here, I mostly get to see my screen change modes when going from garage to outside and visa versa.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Talking

Really like blue Can see and read the screen SO much better at night as compared to daytime screen!!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But not enough to ride only at night!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Really like blue Can see and read the screen SO much better at night as compared to daytime screen!!
    I agree, the night time Blue screen is really a good looking screen and easier to read (in my opinion) than the daytime gray. Is there a way to trick it into staying on the night screen??? where's the sensor??
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    I liked the blue so much I made the guages look the same.DSC00071.jpg

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

Nice one striperking

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We've also had a member from Spain recently change his to purple...

Stan,
    I agree... Where's that sensor, and would a couple of strips of tape over it suffice to trick it into "nighttime mode"?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    We've also had a member from Spain recently change his to purple...

Stan,
    I agree... Where's that sensor, and would a couple of strips of tape over it suffice to trick it into "nighttime mode"?
    I played with mine and put electrical tape on it and I could get it to change (in my garage) and thought I had located the sensor to the left of the display covering an inch wide area down beside it. I could get it to change back and forth. Well, I left the tape on and had the blue screen and backed out of the garagee and boom, it changed back! The lighs in the garage were on and still the daylight made it change back. It has me stumped.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Yes I love Blue I had to add mine.2013-03-23_14.52.35.jpg
    2012 RT Limited. Flag graphics, Lower vader wings LEDs, Lower day runner LEDs, Uper turn signal LEDs, Tip LEDs, Finder strip LEDs, Mud flap running an turn LEDs, Inside morrirs turn LEDs, 3-4 brake LEDs, Blue LEDs top under dash, Cup hollders, Large foot rest, HWY foot rest, K&N air flter, GloRyders with remote, Elka shocks 1+R, Soomthspyder, GoPro Hero3, BRP hitch, Diamond shadow trailer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ok, now I'm sure all the ST owners and completely confused. 2013 ST's DO NOT have a blue night screen, it changes to orange at night.

Remember folks, this is the ST forum, what happens on an RT isn't really relevant.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My heavy-duty thumb tells me that if you put a chunk of electrical tape over the 1:00 O'clock position on the analog speedometer display; it'll switch ver to nighttime mode... (Been thumbing around that display and confirmed the location...)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    Ok, now I'm sure all the ST owners and completely confused. 2013 ST's DO NOT have a blue night screen, it changes to orange at night.

Remember folks, this is the ST forum, what happens on an RT isn't really relevant.
    We are talking about the location of the ambient light sensor, it is relevant if it has a display and it changes color at night. I would think the sensor is in the same location on the RT, RS, ST. All some of us are saying is we like the look of the nighttime screen, on our model, and are looking for the sensor to fake it out .
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    My heavy-duty thumb tells me that if you put a chunk of electrical tape over the 1:00 O'clock position on the analog speedometer display; it'll switch ver to nighttime mode... (Been thumbing around that display and confirmed the location...)
    Bob, I thumbed and taped around that silly spot today and could never seem to narrow it down to a postage stamp size spot. Yep, it changes and i could keep it there with about three peices of tape. I would peel them off one at a time and boom! it would never let me know just where it is. I think that the sensor is so very sensitive to ambient light that it will catch a reflection and change back very easily. This made me have to cover up more than actually necessary to make it stay changed to night mode. I am thinking that if the plastic lens is removed and tape could be directly stuck on the sensor spot the bleedover light or reflection would not affect it. O.K. now someone go ahead and take it apart and let us know what happens
    Happy Spyderlovers